How to avoid price gouging - for those starting out - Page 3

How to avoid price gouging - for those starting out

This is a discussion on How to avoid price gouging - for those starting out within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by BkCo1 I like my 336 in .35 Remington. Had it for many years. I shoot 200 gr and 220 gr bulllets I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: How to avoid price gouging - for those starting out

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    I like my 336 in .35 Remington. Had it for many years. I shoot 200 gr and 220 gr bulllets I hand load. Penetration is awsome. The pistol is a Contender on .35 also. I could use it for SD in a pinch.
    That's a great old cartridge.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Taking a look at ballisticsbytheinch, it seems the heavy 158 gr .357 Mag loads out of a Winchester 94 (16" barrel) are doing a bit over 1700 fps.

The 170 gr .30-30 are going over 2200 fps.

So, while the .357 Mag out of a lever gun is certainly no slouch, it is still a handgun cartridge. A .30-30 is a true rifle round.

The .357 Mag lever guns do hold more ammo in the tube (typically 10) versus six for the .30-30.

One more thing to bear in mind with .357 Mag out of a rifle - you can sometimes get under-penetration, as the increased velocity can cause the JHP to expand so quickly that it stops short. Select your load carefully - a good load out of a revolver might not be the best out of a rifle...and that can argue against ammo compatibility.

As you can see from my selection of the .30-30, I want my rifle to be a true rifle. If I need to bust through cover, I want the extra punch of the rifle caliber. That said, I can certainly see the logic of a revolver-caliber lever gun - they will also do the job quite handily.
    YES the 30-30 is/maybe a more potent round then the 357mag out of a rifle, but where I was going was that if you have a revolver or two in 357mag you can simplify your ammo stash to 357mag & .38's.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links