How to avoid price gouging - for those starting out

How to avoid price gouging - for those starting out

This is a discussion on How to avoid price gouging - for those starting out within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With all the hysteria around possible gun control laws driving up the cost of semi-auto everything, and its associated ammunition, I thought I'd share a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: How to avoid price gouging - for those starting out

Lightbulb How to avoid price gouging - for those starting out

With all the hysteria around possible gun control laws driving up the cost of semi-auto everything, and its associated ammunition, I thought I'd share a bit of advice for anyone just starting their self- and home-defense collection.

First, do not think you HAVE to have a semi-auto military-pattern sidearm or rifle in order to defend yourself. They are nice, but you can defend yourself very well with 19th century technology - at a fraction of the cost.

For your handgun options, do not overlook the revolver. Two of them will cover just about any realistic civilian scenario.

For your rifle, consider a lever gun - possibly in the same caliber as your revolver, or in the harder hitting .30-30. A lever gun hits hard, fires pretty darn quickly, and the magazine tube can be topped off on the fly. It's worked for well over 100 years - and it still does. It also lacks the social stigma attached to military-looking semi-auto rifles. In some areas, that matters.

And finally, a good shotgun is hard to beat. ANY shotgun will do, even a sporting shotgun. Do not think you must have an extended mag tube and other tactical goodies to defend your home. A standard pump action with a 4-shell tube is likely more than enough firepower for home defense - especially when backed up by your handgun(s). Even an old double barrel will do.

Think outside the box, and you can be well defended without getting ripped off. I hate seeing people get ripped off.
    bakes, DMan, Hoganbeg and 8 others like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

I roll with two .357 revolvers, my granddad's 1937 Winchester model 12, and a Marlin 30-30. I am comfortable with it.
    Drgnfly, skatalite, darbo and 1 others like this.

Good advice, I have revolvers and a lever gun in my line up.

1 revolver, 1 shotgun, 1 small pistol. Plenty of home defense.

You are absolutely correct in what you have stated above. In addition, it is not necessary to go for the AR copies in order to get a semi-automatic rifle. What the AR style rifle gives you is capacity. Unless you feel an irresistable urge for a high capacity rifle, there are still many traditional stock rifles available in the same calibers. In most cases a 5 to 10 shot magazine will allow one to defend one's home just as well as a rifle with a thirty round magazine, and at the present time, can be had for as much as $1,000 less.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with wanting an AR style rifle, but since most of us are not made of money, it seems to make as much sense to go for something else.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I am really fond of the 30-30 Lever, but a Levergun chambered in a handgun caliber I have is some real fondness. Interchangeable ammo is easy to inventory, keep track of, and convenient.
    darbo and glockman10mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I am really fond of the 30-30 Lever, but a Levergun chambered in a handgun caliber I have is some real fondness. Interchangeable ammo is easy to inventory, keep track of, and convenient.
    And a .45LC has a lot of knockdown power, too!
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

shorty lever 30-30 = yummy.

StarPD45
    Quote Originally Posted by vanagonnuts View Post

From the TV show.

Thumbs up

Nice, I gave up looking for these locally a while ago. With the "oh noes, I need a AR, like right now" rush, I see these are available again. For the price hubby spent on his AR, I can have a .357 Ranch Hand, a .45 Colt Carbine, and a rifle of some sort in the .22 flavor. They'll go nicely with my Winchester '94, and should cover all my firearm needs in an "old-timey" way to boot! I always wanted to be Annie Oakley!
    Regoria75 likes this.

Some good advice here.

10th, what's your favorite .30-30 load?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array zamboni's Avatar

enough said

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Some good advice here.

10th, what's your favorite .30-30 load?
    I like the 170 gr loads, Winchester Powerpoints seem to group nicely. Just took my Marlin to the range yesterday, and zeroed it in for 50 yards. After that, tight groups were a breeze. I'm not a hunter, so I couldn't tell you what these bullets will do on flesh - but I suspect they would do better than any bitty 5.56 would. And I also suspect the heavier loads will turn most cover into concealment quite nicely as well.

In my area, I cannot see further than 150 yards. However, if you are concerned about needing to go further, the Hornady LeveRevolution ammo extends the range of the old .30-30 rather well. Just don't leave it in the mag tube for extended periods of time, as the plastic tip can deform.
    Regoria75 and glockman10mm like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

VIP Member
    While I don't have a lever action, I have my 30-06 bolt that will work for most cases. Revolvers have always been covered as well as 2 pump shotguns. Good reminder though, I need to stock up on .357/.38 for the revolvers and also for my 30-06.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links