Back up Gun

Back up Gun

This is a discussion on Back up Gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello all. I need some advice. I have decided to carry a small back up gun in my front pocket. I wear jeans off duty. ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By SIXTO
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Back up Gun

Back up Gun

Hello all. I need some advice. I have decided to carry a small back up gun in my front pocket. I wear jeans off duty. I have decided between three guns. The seecamp .32, NAA Black widow .22 magnum or the NAA pug .22 magnum.

Any advice you have would be welcome.

Administrator
    Keep looking would be my advice
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yesterday, I shot my sons sig 238, and I must say I was quite impressed. It is very light weight and compact, and it is very comfortable to shoot. I have a seecamp .32, a kahr mk9 and mk40. I like them all, but the size and weight of the sig 238. Besides all that, it shot great! It did have an early feed issue, but it went away after about 25 rounds. Also, it could have simply been the white box ammo!

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Whatever makes you feel comfortable, but anything less than a.380 , IMO, is unsatisfactory.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Personally I wouldnt go lighter than a subcompact 9mm but thats just me. 380 would be bare minimum. Ruger LCR 380 is tiny. A stripper could hide one in a g string

Given a choice, I would not rely on a rimfire for a defensive weapon - the ignition is far less reliable than centerfire.
    archer51 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

LCP or P3AT in .380 would be the absolute minimum. I don't even carry anything less than .38 special anymore.

I'd be happiest with a J-Frame or Glock 26 as a BUG

I'm a big fan of bigger is better. I carried a .25 Auto back in the day, because it's all I could afford. Fast forward 30 years, and I carried a KelTec .380 for years. When the Kimber Solo Carry in 9mm came out, I switched to it, and put the KelTec away. Carry it in my right front pocket, with a spare mag in the left front pocket. And all I wear is jeans, being retired.

A .22 is better than nothing, but just barely. I'd recommend staying at .380 and above. Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

I don't know, but I have heard that a 22mag is no better than a 22lr unless you have at least a 10 inch barrel. I have a NAA mini in 22lr that I carry sometimes but I feel that I am under gunned with it.

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

Back up Gun

You may want to take a close look at the Ruger LC9. If you must carry a smaller caliber weapon, consider the Ruger LCP. While a .22 caliber pistol certainly has its merits, I prefer to restrict their use to the range for training purposes. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Links