Why good people need AR15s

This is a discussion on Why good people need AR15s within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/Massa...assad+Ayoob%29 An excerpt: In the last twenty years, we have seen epic mob violence in American streets. During the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Why good people need AR15s

http://backwoodshome.com/blogs/Massa...assad+Ayoob%29

An excerpt:

In the last twenty years, we have seen epic mob violence in American streets. During the Rodney King riots in Los Angeles, Korean storekeepers armed with AR15s kept their stores and livelihoods – and lives – from the torches of inflamed crowds because the mob feared their force multipliers.
    I thought I'd share this because it's full of good reasoning that we can share with reasonable people, which may be otherwise ignorant of the uses of ARs in everyday life.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Badey, mano3, nerdyvirgin and 3 others like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Good article. Thanks for posting the link. I just sent the link to a bunch of people I know, including one who is of the opinion that no one "needs" a "assault rifle" and "high capacity CLIPS" except for the military or police. Hopefully, he will read the article and "see the light"! I think most of the other people I sent it to have already seen the light--a long time ago. A couple of them even own those "evil" assault rifles!
    tony1990 likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

These BG's must have being smoking some weird stuff not to go down after a couple of hits.

Eh...

Maybe not necessarily "need"...

More like just have the RIGHT to own...

I am confident i can hold my own with my 870 and 336...

Agree with the articles premise though, good stuff.

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

It is my God given right, screw needs. Good points though.
    kerberos and scgunlover1 like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    Whatever you choose to protect your family with should be a choice not dictated by the liberal media or the government
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Re: Why good people need AR15s

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Eh...

Maybe not necessarily "need"...
    You never need it, until you do.

If you had to stare down a mob, would you really grab your 336 if you had access to an AR or AK?

If that's all you have or want, that's fine. But it's very near sighted to say that they aren't needed.

First rule of fighting: there are no rules.

We want to take every advantage to destroy the wolves that prey on us.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    co9mil likes this.

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post

If you had to stare down a mob, would you really grab your 336 if you had access to an AR or AK?

If that's all you have or want, that's fine. But it's very near sighted to say that they aren't needed.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    I kinda, sorta, maybe, agree here. Buts lets be very real. Depending on how we use the term "mob", theres alot of room for debate. A mob of 10, why not the lever gun? A mob of 50? Maybe you need to just pack up and run, especially if alone. An armed mob? Yeah, best to not try to face that one down.

I am for the ownership of a M60 or M240 if thats what you want. But its a dangerous, and quite frankly, silly mindset to believe you must own this mystical black, over priced, and , underpowered high cap squirrel rifle to defend against, well, what?

Everyone should have a battle rifle of some type, as patriots and free people in their homes. Mine is there just in case of the worst case scenario, one that is unspeakable. But lets face it, for just about anything outside of total anarchy, and out right large scale war, the lever guns, and other rifles will get the job done.

Have it because you want it. But dont be a victim of thinking you need it.
    bmcgilvray and zacii like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

If there was a mob and I could choose anything...it would be a claymore mine,
    mano3, glockman10mm and Frado like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If there was a mob and I could choose anything...it would be a claymore mine,
    Yep, and a looonnng piece of det cord at the end of the "clacker"
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I kinda, sorta, maybe, agree here. Buts lets be very real. Depending on how we use the term "mob", theres alot of room for debate. A mob of 10, why not the lever gun? A mob of 50? Maybe you need to just pack up and run, especially if alone. An armed mob? Yeah, best to not try to face that one down.

I am for the ownership of a M60 or M240 if thats what you want. But its a dangerous, and quite frankly, silly mindset to believe you must own this mystical black, over priced, and , underpowered high cap squirrel rifle to defend against, well, what?

Everyone should have a battle rifle of some type, as patriots and free people in their homes. Mine is there just in case of the worst case scenario, one that is unspeakable. But lets face it, for just about anything outside of total anarchy, and out right large scale war, the lever guns, and other rifles will get the job done.

Have it because you want it. But dont be a victim of thinking you need it.
    You're absolutely right. I was trying to illustrate that needs do exist.

Of course, every scenario can be imagined under the sun, and people gotta determine the best course of action given their particular scenario.

The proper mindset and skill-set are more important, to me, than the tools. Owning an AR, or similar rifle, won't defeat any mob, army or boogey man by themselves. I think that a person needs to consider the big picture beyond the tools. One could be a victim thinking he doesn't need a battle rifle, just as well as thinking he that's all he needs. It ain't any good without the know-how and the resolve to use it, judiciously of course.

The worst case, unspeakable scenarios are the very ones we must consider, right? While not probable, they are possible.

In parting, let me add this: The AR-15 type rifles are very user friendly. My 16 yr old son can handle my Winchester 94 well enough, but my wife, daughters, and younger son struggle with it. However, with the AR they can lay down some serious lead, accurately, in short order

While the AR 15 is not near the top of the list of rifles I'd choose if I was incorporated into a defensive militia (at my age) and needing to provide my own rifle, I'm a good person and upstanding citizen and deserve the liberty of owning an AR 15, proper ammunition, and suitable supporting accouterments.

The fact that I'd select the M1A, M1, Model 1903 or 1903-A3, or maybe even the Enfield No. 4 Mk1 or No. 4 Mk 2, or even acquire an AK 47, all before I'd choose the AR 15 has no bearing on the degree of "need" for the rifle.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

dukalmighty,

You made me bust a gut reading your comment...

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Don't get me wrong zacii...

Like i said, i agree with the article...

Just don't like the current mindset that you must have AR or AK to defend yourself.

As for mob/battle situation; I'd like to be behind the M249 SAW personally.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by kerberos View Post
    Don't get me wrong zacii...

Like i said, i agree with the article...

Just don't like the current mindset that you must have AR or AK to defend yourself.

As for mob/battle situation; I'd like to be behind the M249 SAW personally.
    I agree that you don't have to have an AR or AK to defend yourself, but it's also a bit of a stretch to say that one (other than yourself) doesn't need one.

Let every man decide what is best suited to his own needs. And let's not get in the verbal trap of the antis to determine what other people may, or may not need.

Mobs come out of nowhere, and sure we'd all like to get a hold of SAWs and Claymores at the local sporting goods, or surplus store, but that's not in cards right now. The next best thing, for some, is a semi-automatic rifle with standard capacity, detachable magazines. Lots, and lots of full magazines
    kerberos likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links