anti gun friends having a change of heart?

This is a discussion on anti gun friends having a change of heart? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I did not know where to put this so feel free to move it. In the past 2 weeks I have had no fewer than ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: anti gun friends having a change of heart?

anti gun friends having a change of heart?

I did not know where to put this so feel free to move it.

In the past 2 weeks I have had no fewer than 3 dramatically anti gun friends ask for recommendations for handguns and shotguns. These are individuals that I have had heated debates with as recently as September this year.

My priest could have asked me to recommend a good strip club, and I would have been less shocked. One of them had presented the argument "only criminals need guns... if you own a gun, you are half way to being a criminal." Another's opinion was that nyc and Chicago gun control would work if it was applied in all 50 states via attrition. Etc etc etc. Arguments with brick walls have had better talking points ...

Took 1 friend to the range. He did fine though I was shocked how uninformed he was about firearms to have such a strong position against them.

Glad to see some people can swallow the crow and have an honest change of heart.

Anyone else experiencing this phenomenon ?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by daffyduc View Post
    ...Took 1 friend to the range. He did fine though I was shocked how uninformed he was about firearms to have such a strong position against them. ...
    That, my friend, is a common denominator you will see a majority of the time among antis. It's that "I don't know anything about it so I'm going to go by what I've heard" mentality.

Keep fighting the good fight.
    Crashoften and darbo like this.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

It's better he had a change of heart at the range finding out about guns instead of being robbed in a Wally World parking lot and finding out about guns.
    ptco911, accessbob, tkruf and 4 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Most of what he thought he knew about guns was political and movies.

Watching him freak the fark out when I racked a round into my carry dao and sat it down {facing down range of course} on the bench. I explained that that gun will sit there until someone pulls the trigger. There is physically no way for that gun to go off. The hammer has to come all the way back and drop... he started to argue, i made him pick it up and shoot it first to see how much has to happen for that bullet to leave the chamber... it was a great experience. The gun referenced has no manual safety either. Sig p250 yet another point that freaked him out. It's a dao but he does not know what that meant... he just knows it goes bang.

Fla
    Most of my neighbors are OK about guns and some even own although only 2 I know of have CCL. Two neighbors I really like were at a party and mentioned they heard gunshots in the area the night before. I had heard them too. I asked if they had any defense and one said no but were thinking about it. 2 of us at the party did safety check and let her handle 2 380's a 9 mil and a 357 revolver. She loved the 380's. I offered to take her to the range and try them out when she got back from Xmas vacation. ( that may be delayed due to ammo supplies and range time. ) The other neighbor was and is way against guns. She thinks her locked door and the PD is enough. I figure it is just a matter of time before something happens close enough to allow her to rethink it even if it starts with in home only. 2 husbands at the party said their wives changed minds and would now let them have a weapon in the house.
    Things are slowly changing.
    NO Salt,Alcohol, Smoking,Caffeine,Chocolate,Meat,Anything Spicy,Gasoline,Weapons Except Stun Wands By Police,Contact Sports,Sex Other Than Virtual,Abortion,pregnancy Without A License,Non Educational Toys,Bad Language,Exchanging Bodily fluids Including Kissing,Aggressive Acts,Freedom Of Speech

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Insightful post!

I (as a force of = me/1) try to slowly convert. We all need to do this.

I just converted............. wait for it................. my Cable guy (not so much butt crack as he is a younger guy) to meet me at the range next weekend.

It takes every one of us to make one more convert.

To the OP (above) =
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Some Dem's ... believe it is OK to own them..... just don't want you too.

Feinstien; had a conceal carry permit and carried for years for "self protection" ....... she finally got "outed" and then let her CC license expire.

Rahm... (mayor of Chicago) ; states it is a stupid idea to have armed guards at schools, but the school his kids goes to has armed guards.

David Gregory (NBC - very antigun) .... sends his kids to Sidwell School, which has 11 armed guards at it full time. Obama's kids go there too, but the guards have always been there, his kids have the added SS protection.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I have had two friends that never had any real interest in guns (although probably not "anti-gun") ask me for recommendations lately.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

It is indeed good when one can educate someone opposed to firearms. The problem is not their dislike of them, it is the misinformation put out about guns and those who own them that needs to be addressed.

It is appaling how little a gun hater knows about them. They do no research, they only listen to what the anti media puts out and therefore make poor decisions based on half truth and out and out lies. For all they know, "guns are bad" and that equates truth to an anti gun person.

It is this hatred and vilification of the gun that most anti gun people cling to and unless they take the steps towards handling and shooting a firearm, they will continue to stay on the side of the gun haters.

I have tried myself to educate the illinformed about firearms but many of them are convinced and changing their minds will be impossible.
    accessbob likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    While I was visiting family last week, my mother was having a text message conversation with a coworker about guns. My mother commented on the fact that "her gun totin son wanted to go home to buy another gun" to which the coworker responded that her husband just signed up for the concealed carry class because (which would have been held yesterday) because he wanted to get one. Nothing like a little fear that some of our nations wanna be dictators would like to try to take them away to get many off the fence.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    It is appaling how little a gun hater knows about them. They do no research, they only listen to what the anti media puts out and therefore make poor decisions based on half truth and out and out lies. For all they know, "guns are bad" and that equates truth to an anti gun person.
    One of the biggest misconceptions that I keep coming across is the belief that criminals are obtaining their guns through legal channels or from those who bought them legally. They also believe that the draconian laws in the People's Republic states (CA, NY, IL) are only ineffective because those states are surrounded by ones with lax laws.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    One of the biggest misconceptions that I keep coming across is the belief that criminals are obtaining their guns through legal channels or from those who bought them legally. They also believe that the draconian laws in the People's Republic states (CA, NY, IL) are only ineffective because those states are surrounded by ones with lax laws.
    I live in one of the states Bloomy is always spouting off about supplying guns that cause all of NYC's crimes. Funny though, I go through the same background check here, that I went through when I lived in Oklahoma.
    darbo likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The same friend mentioned above posted a pro 2nd amendment video on his Facebook today. I am so proud :)

Waiting for the backlash from all his friends that have backed his anti gun position for all these years.

Anyone have some popcorn?

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    OP
    Yes I have. A lot of people are more interested in stopping bad guys
    IMHO if the right doesn't quit farting around with the fiscal cliff
    They aren't getting re elected. If there is no right wing majority
    in Congress THEN we are going to have some serious gun control issues
    Keeping a Majority in the Senate or House is the key

RKM
    I don't think I even know anybody who is anti-gun. I know a few people who are NOT gun enthusiasts, but DO support the 2nd amendment. That's about it. Nearly all of my co-workers are gun owners. A good portion of my family own guns. All of my close friends are gun owners. The few people I know who are not gun enthusiasts that DO support gun ownership have made it clear that while they're not really a "fan" of guns they are 100% in favor of gun ownership and do not support stricter gun control.

As far as I'm concerned, you don't have to like guns. But don't you dare tell me that I shouldn't be allowed to own one. Or 10, or 27893450839.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links