Musing from a gun store clerk

This is a discussion on Musing from a gun store clerk within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently purchased a S&W MP15-22, a .22 rifle built on the AR platform. I called before I went over to the gun store because ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By 1 old 0311
  • 2 Post By accessbob
  • 2 Post By accessbob

Thread: Musing from a gun store clerk

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Musing from a gun store clerk

I recently purchased a S&W MP15-22, a .22 rifle built on the AR platform. I called before I went over to the gun store because I know all guns are in high demand right now and the store, although my favorite, is a significant drive for me. If they had none in stock, I did not want to make the drive out there.

I called and apparently they had 30 of them, so I got in my car and headed out. When I arrived, I discovered a VERY crowded store. After a "short" wait, , a clerk waited on me. I told him what I wanted, he pulled out the forms for me to start filling out and while I was doing that, he went into the back room to get one.

I started asking him some questions.

Q: I called yesterday and you said you only had 2 left in stock. Today you had 30. Was the guy I talked to confused?
    A: We placed an order for these months ago and they finally arrived. We had 50 this morning

Q: Well, yesterday I wanted to hold one of those two by placing a deposit on it. The clerk would not let me do that. Why is that?
    A: We are not taking any deposits on any gun. First come, first serve

Q: You look very busy now. Are you selling lots of guns?
    A: We have sold more guns since the election than in any time since we opened (about 30-40 years ago)

Q: Can I purchase about 5 of those magazines for the rifle?
    A: We only sell 1 magazine per customer per day. We have a VERY limited supply and are not able to get more.

Q: I need some .223 ammo. Can I buy a box of 500?
    A: We are limiting ammo to 200 rounds per customer per day. We cannot get ammo in right now.

Q: How long will the background check take?
    A: It is either going to be about 10 minutes or 90 minutes. The state police are extremely backlogged right now and it may take that long to get approved.

Q: Do you have any AR15s?
    A: We have sold out of ALL our ARs. We have none left in stock.

I finished up my purchase and left. I see a storm coming and it does not look pretty.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Everyone thought Ron Paul was too tough and way to the right on the conservative meter.
    It just shows you that there is a man/men behind the curtain who run the world, and they need to have their puppets in office to keep their plans on track.
    darbo, SIG_guy and mano3 like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Ex Member
    Sounds like a honest stand up shop TRYING to do the right thing and be fair to everyone.
    glockman10mm likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If people didn't hoard, there'd be no shortages.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Fleet farm has AR 15 in stock as of yesterday at the normal price. However limited to one per-day and 4 mags per-day.
    I had picked up two Adams Arms AR 5 months back as Christmas gifts so I knew what he price should be.
    Came with a nice case and 2 mags.
    I did not really need another one but I purchased one anyway.AR15huldra2.jpg

But relax Obama has no desire to take any weapons, in fact he has ordered Holder to make it easier and faster to get them.
    Obama, Holder Push to Loosen Gun Sale Restrictions

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post

But relax Obama has no desire to take any weapons, in fact he has ordered Holder to make it easier and faster to get them.
    Obama, Holder Push to Loosen Gun Sale Restrictions
    Loosen restrictions for legal aliens, not CITIZENS. Soon they'll ease restrictions on ILLEGAL aliens and toughen them on natural born citizens.
    msgt/ret and Spec like this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    "Here's what I think we should do,” Obama added. “This week I called on Congress to take up and pass common-sense legislation that has the support of the majority of the American people, including banning the sale of military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips, and making sure criminals can't take advantage of legal loopholes to get their hands on a gun."
    Why is it that any and all legislation banning or restricting something is always preceded with the expression “common sense?”
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Why is it that any and all legislation banning or restricting something is always preceded with the expression “common sense?”
    Because they don't know what that term really means.
    msgt/ret and EastCoastMojo like this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing your experience. It seems like it is like this everywhere. Its been said that a month's/year's worth of inventory has recently sold out in days/weeks at a lot of places.

Beware whenever the government intervenes on your behalf to "improve" things. Its usually going to cost you somewhere down the line. You get to pay for someone else's solution regardless of you wanting said solution or not. Things are only going to get more restrictive in months to come.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Because that way if you disagree with it you obviously don't have any "common sense".

Links