A "Hackerspace" For Gun Owners? Would like your feedback!

This is a discussion on A "Hackerspace" For Gun Owners? Would like your feedback! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been involved in the tech industry for years and have been and tend to follow open source projects. Many of you may not be ...

Thread: A "Hackerspace" For Gun Owners? Would like your feedback!

Sponsor

I've been involved in the tech industry for years and have been and tend to follow open source projects. Many of you may not be familiar with a "hackerspace"

Hackerspace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Generally a hackerspace is a physical location with space and tools to work on various projects. The cost often held low by using volunteers and donated equipment.

I'm wondering if we could take the same concept as it applies to gun owners. I'm imagining a space with a few reloading presses (maybe progressive set ups in popular calibers) a couple of benches with some basic gunsmithing tools (hammers, punches, vise). I know I would use something like that if I could, but I'm not sure if its feasible or not. Here are the issues I see.

-Popularity, would their be enough people interested in such a place? I know I would.

-Liability, would definitely require a lawyer, but I think it could be worked out (not my area of knowledge, unless you are a lawyer, speculation is not necessary)

-Funding, this is probably the most difficult part. I'm envisioning that this would essentially be a "club" type program, meaning there is no company at the top that has to make profits, but the the entire place operates essentially at cost. You will have your initial investment, probably something like $10,000 on the low end, plus the monthly operating cost (rent for the facility likely being the most costly). Ongoing funding could be made by requiring annual dues and a small hourly rate for use of the shop (think something like $3.00/hr)(similar to how the MWR autoshop/woodshop works on a military facility)

I've heard of things like this being available to clubs with private shooting ranges, and while combining a shooting range with this space would be great, I think it would be cost prohibitive.

Thanks! I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
    Clay

I have been to a few ranges that had such a room, but the costs were still high. One range required that you buy all components from them, and you had to use new brass (purchased from them). For the occasional rifle shooter that liked to create their own round for hunting it was fine, and it saved the cost of purchasing your own setup (and space), but they used it as a money maker. I never used it beyond working the presses to get a feel for what I wanted.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

that would be fine as long as everyone using the stuff was qualified. Reloading and gunsmithing equipment doesn't take kindly to morons monkeying around with it. Most qualified people already have their own. See where I'm going?

Yes, you could charge a $1K-$2K annual fee, which would weed out some, but I think most with that kind of change would just rather have their own mini-mills and such.

It's a really neat idea, but I'd give it a week before half the stuff was broken and buggered up by all the dipsticks that would wanna use it. Better off, "networking" with friends, relatives, and other people you can trust and just try to share in the cost. That's what I do, share with people I know know what they're doing, and they share with me too.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    that would be fine as long as everyone using the stuff was qualified. Reloading and gunsmithing equipment doesn't take kindly to morons monkeying around with it. Most qualified people already have their own. See where I'm going?

It's a really neat idea, but I'd give it a week before half the stuff was broken and buggered up by all the dipsticks that would wanna use it. Better off, "networking" with friends, relatives, and other people you can trust and just try to share in the cost. That's what I do, share with people I know know what they're doing, and they share with me too.
    This is true, networking is probably a better option, but I'm hoping this can genuinely help the shooting community and those who don't have friends/family that are really involved in guns. I also see this as a "community" place where good knowledge about firearms and reloading can be shared in the local area.

You point about qualification is a very good one. I think in order for it to be successful it would require an intro class on each piece of equipment prior to being approved to use it. Ideally the hourly rate could provide enough funding to keep the equipment in good repair.

If you had some good ole retired guy that could hang around and oversee things, and assist and train, the chances would be much better of it working out. And like you said, some type of tests to "weed out" the numbskulls.

I didn't mean to come off like I think everyone is an idiot. I've just had really hard lessons from an early age about loaning out stuff to people. 80% of the time it's people that don't have anything to offer in return, and generally my stuff came back either ruined or in much worse shape than when it left. So I'm leery of such things.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    If you had some good ole retired guy that could hang around and oversee things, and assist and train, the chances would be much better of it working out. And like you said, some type of tests to "weed out" the numbskulls.

I didn't mean to come off like I think everyone is an idiot. I've just had really hard lessons from an early age about loaning out stuff to people. 80% of the time it's people that don't have anything to offer in return, and generally my stuff came back either ruined or in much worse shape than when it left. So I'm leery of such things.
    Very true, I'm hoping that there would be skilled people willing to donate their time, and really that would be a requirement for the idea to be a success. This concept reminds me a lot of the wood shop and auto shop that they have on a lot of military posts. One wood shop that I am familiar with requires a class prior to using the equipment and then charges $5.00/hr to use the shop. A few experienced people volunteer their time to watch over the equipment and offer assistance to people in need. The volunteers get the side benefit of unlimited use of a pretty well equipped shop.

Your concern about the equipment is a valid one, you definitely don't want the equipment to be abused or used without training.

I just had a thought as well, maybe you could get local gun related business to offer a bit of sponsorship for the group. A local gun dealer might be willing to pay a bit to put up a banner in the shop, I don't think this would be much revenue, but with a non-profit organization anything can help!

-Clay

The local outdoor gun range with funding from the Tx Parks Recreation/Friends of NRA and NRA have upgraded the range and after running the new Electrical lines will be putting in a Clubhouse/Classroom,Another Reloader and I am planning on putting on a reloading class/exhibit for anybody interested in reloading after they get it built.I'm pretty sure it will be packed given the current developments on ammo availability.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Sponsor
    I should clarify when I say gunsmithing equipment. I'm not really envisioning inexperienced users threading and reaming their own barrels on a lathe. I'm thinking more along the lines of basic assembly/disassembly tools, maybe a solvent tank for gun cleaning, torque wrenches and such. If a shop like this were popular enough you could move to bigger equipment, but this would probably need to be operated by only skilled users who have a fair amount of experience.

Keeping the tools simple would greatly expand the space you could rent for such an organization. I can think of a number of places in my local area that could be rented for less than $300. Most of those wouldn't be set up for heavy equipment with larger power requirements. (usually older buildings, many on a second floor)

-Clay

Sponsored Links