That was a Wake Up Call - Made my Heart Race

This is a discussion on That was a Wake Up Call - Made my Heart Race within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live in a two story house. My kids are grown so the upstairs is empty. I was up there looking for some winter cloths ...

Like Tree15Likes
  • 1 Post By Dangerfield
  • 7 Post By pittypat21
  • 7 Post By SIG_guy

Thread: That was a Wake Up Call - Made my Heart Race

Exclamation That was a Wake Up Call - Made my Heart Race

I live in a two story house. My kids are grown so the upstairs is empty. I was up there looking for some winter cloths I had packed away last year when all of a sudden my dog starts her warning barking, she was down stairs. I then realized I did not have anything upstairs to defend myself with. That was not a good feeling!! My heart is still beating fast. I cautiously and quietly went down the stairs, grabbed my bedroom pistol to investigate and found everything secure. I am not sure what spooked my dog but this scared the heck out of me.

That will never happen again I put a loaded 357 Smith upstairs.

Lesson learned!!
    rugergunner likes this.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

2. Remove Ads

There were probably dozens of things upstairs to defend yourself with.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerfield View Post
    I live in a two story house. My kids are grown so the upstairs is empty. I was up there looking for some winter cloths I had packed away last year when all of a sudden my dog starts her warning barking, she was down stairs. I then realized I did not have anything upstairs to defend myself with. That was not a good feeling!! My heart is still beating fast. I cautiously and quietly went down the stairs, grabbed my bedroom pistol to investigate and found everything secure. I am not sure what spooked my dog but this scared the heck out of me.

That will never happen again I put a loaded 357 Smith upstairs.

Lesson learned!!
    Don't feel bad. I think like that too...had the same thing happen to me a while ago.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

If you carry your gun everywhere, you'll always have something with you to defend yourself.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    If you carry your gun everywhere, you'll always have something with you to defend yourself.

What he said!
    Either on your person or within reach...always!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I had a similar situation one time, I was pulling Brigade Staff Duty 3 or 4 months ago the following morning as usual I stayed up as long as I could and finally crashed on the couch. As is usual practice I had locked up my weapons in the safe and when I got home never got around to pulling my normal bedside gun out of the safe. My wife as always secured her pistol and took it with her to work. I eventually gelled asleep on the couch watching the military channel, I was awaken by my lab and rottie going crazy at our backdoor. Our back yard looks into a wheat field, something Had spooked them. I shot up and for that split instant I realized I am in my shorts on the couch no gun nearby. As the dogs continued to try to attack through the door I made it to my safe to secure my H&K 45 C. A knock at the back door caused my heart to pump faster I put the pistol down at my side and approached the back door. To my disbelief there is a local cop standing there with a Sheriff Deputy. I asked through the door what is going on? They asked me to step outside I said meet me around front, I through a shirt on and put my pistol by the front door in a drawer. I stepped outside and the local cop immediately recognized me, he said Hey Sergeant Kern did you know your garage door was open? Hell no I said. The local cop was driving by saw my truck in the garage with the rear passenger door open. He carry Callled for a deputy to assist when he heard the violence from the military channel. Long story short I was so exhausted left the garage door open some teenager got in my truck and took some of my gear which was later recovered by the cop who greeted me at the door. I bought the officer a gift card to a local restaurant for Christmas this year. Sometimes we don't respect great police work especially small municipal agencies who can tell something is not right. A lot of lessons were learned that day.

Nothing that will scare the hell out of a bad guy worse than any gun is a guy in his underwear that greets him with "Come On In sweetheart I been waiting for you"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Too funny but it wasn't my drawers it was a pair of gym shorts.

Links