Glock 23 recoil not fun. Thinking of going to Glock 19 or other 9mm - Page 2

Glock 23 recoil not fun. Thinking of going to Glock 19 or other 9mm

This is a discussion on Glock 23 recoil not fun. Thinking of going to Glock 19 or other 9mm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I strongly dislike the .40 all together. I've shot both a G22 and G23 (among other .40's). It's not so much that the recoil is ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Glock 23 recoil not fun. Thinking of going to Glock 19 or other 9mm

RKM
    I strongly dislike the .40 all together. I've shot both a G22 and G23 (among other .40's). It's not so much that the recoil is painful or unbearable. But my problem with it is, that it doesn't offer me anything that either a 9mm or .45 doesn't. It's a bit heavier and .05 bigger than a 9mm. Who cares? It's faster than a .45. Again, who cares? It recoils too much for what it is. I expect that kind of recoil for magnum rounds that offer a substantial step in terminal ballistics performance, but I just don't see it. My main problem is follow up shots. Forget caliber. If you can place many shots quickly on target, that's what matters. Many I'm assuming will claim that they can do so with a .40, but a 9mm will ALWAYS be easier to shoot quickly and accurately. 3-4 hits quickly, COM of 9mm is far better than 1 COM, 1 in the arm and 3 misses from a .40.

9mm is the way to go. If you want big bore performance, go .45ACP.

I may sound like a hater, but I don't see why the .40 exists. For what it's worth, I have no issue with 10mm, as it's recoil is warranted by substantial performence, in my opinion.

I have a G27 and at first was surprised by the snappy recoil - more than I was used to with my 1911. Maintaining a proper grip was all it took for me to quickly overcome the issue. I was not gripping the pistol high enough, and was squeezing the grip (instead of applying pressure to the front and rear of the grip). Very simple to correct, and now I can shoot all day long without problems. You should give that a try before changing caliber. Just my $0.02

A .40 calibe has a very snappy recoil no matter what gun it is in. Both my Kahr and my old S&W 411 recoil hard. I won't shot anything heavier than 165 gr in my Kahr. Instead of going to a 9mm why not try a .45. They push more than snap. A 1911 handles very comfortable. I also recommend a Springfield XD. Welcome aboard Brother.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Last Friday I shot both the XD and the Glock 23.

The XD felt much better in my hands before I even shot it - just more controllable. When I did shoot them however, after the fourth or fifth shot, the G23 felt a lot more controllable. Upon asking about it, the guy at the range pointed out that in the difference of design, the G23 let's your hand slide up a little further on the grip, and that gives more control overall.

Shooting them both again, I found that he was right. So if you're having problems controlling the G23, I think you'd have problems controlling the XD more. If you can, take the G23 out to the range, and see if you can slide your grip up a quarter to half an inch. It really does make a difference - at least it did for me.

Don't know your shooting experience, but there's one more option, and the cheapest one - changing how you grip the gun. Do a youtube search for vigunfighter (he lives in the Virgin Islands). He's got very good vids on grip, sight alignment, trigger control. I've seen hundreds of shooters that have been shooting for years/decades with an improper grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawboy65 View Post
    If you stay with Glock, then the 9mm conversion for the G23 makes sense. However, if you decide to go with another 9mm, then I strongly recommend that you check out the CZ75 P01. It shoots softer, is more accurate, and feels better in the hand than my G19/23. You can find all kinds of info about the torture tests that it went through for NATO acceptance. Plus, it functions like the M9 that you are familiar with. It is my favorite 9mm by far.
    +1 on the CZ75 P01
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Benjamin Franklin

"Ignorance can be treated with education, sadly there is no cure for stupidity."

mkh
    Sme good suggestions. The Glock 19 is one of the most popular guns in the world for a good reason

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    If you decide to stick with Glock in 9mm then trade it in for the 19 in my opinion. I don't trust conversion barrels and I would be nervous to forget what ammo goes in the gun. Just better to simplify everything in my opinion.

Senior Member Array wishyouwell's Avatar
    I personally love my .40... Had an XD-9 many years ago and to be honest i can't tell a very big difference.

Also, look into Talon grips... 14.99 shipped and they make the XD feel like a dream. You can even get the skateboard type if you wish but i'm gonna be carrying IWB mostly so i chose rubberized and they really make the gun feel sweet.

And i agree with some of the previous posters about just converting to a 9mm barrel.

Heck it's one of the reasons i got the .40 is to be able to shoot 9 and 357Sig, too.

The G23 is a fine weapon....I agree with others in trying different ammo/bullet weights. Other tips to consider include optimizing your grip (consider consulting a LE training officer if possible; they almost all carry .40 S&W). Another tip is to invest $9 in a Pachmyer slip-on grip. These improve you grip by reducing felt recoil and helping eliminate slip. I am personally not a fan of sticking skateboard tape on a $500 pistol.

All said, guns are like shoes.....you have to find the one that feels right and comfortable to you.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Without seeing you shoot and assuming you are gripping the gun with a high thumbs forward grip? ... I'd say to first, relax your arms and shoulders more and possibly grip harder with the left hand. Experiment with it. You don't need much grip strength to keep the grip in place if your arms and shoulders are really absorbing the recoil.

Heavier bullets will help. Skateboard tape will help. Pro grip will help. Switching to a 9 will help. A lot of things will "help" ...but they don't solve the problem. JMO

Adding late: I have no use for a 40 so going to a 9 is certainly not a downgrade IMO
    Last edited by Simonsay; January 2nd, 2013 at 05:00 PM.

Glock 23 recoil not fun. Thinking of going to Glock 19 or other 9mm

I would trade it for a 19. I had both a 19 and 23 and found myself shooting the 23 a lot less. Not only was the per round cost higher , but the recoil is much sharper, making it less fun to shoot. I finally sold it off and have not regretted it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Administrator
    I have always been for If You Don't Like Any Firearm For Any Reason...Kiss it goodbye and either sell it or trade it it for something that you'll enjoy shooting. You'll shoot better.

There are lots of great guns out there to choose from.
    ddclancy likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    You could also try the G21 or G30. .40 pistols tend to have snappy recoil where .45 in my experience are more of a push. OMO. Without changing pistol, you could also look at changing the recoil spring/guide rod for a heavier one. That will also decrease the felt recoil.
    Be careful with that, Glocks get real touchy and start having ejection problems when you tamper with the recoil spring.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    Be careful with that, Glocks get real touchy and start having ejection problems when you tamper with the recoil spring.
    I agree, just listed it as an option. Obviously, if a stock spring is ,say, 14lb,and you go to to a 20lb, there would probably be problems cycling. But 14 to 16, probably not going to cause problem in a 40 caliber. As always,if you change parts, have to test weapon for reliability.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links