Glock 23 recoil not fun. Thinking of going to Glock 19 or other 9mm

This is a discussion on Glock 23 recoil not fun. Thinking of going to Glock 19 or other 9mm within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I want to be able to shoot all day, and I don't see myself being able to attend a defensive pistol course and shooting for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Glock 23 recoil not fun. Thinking of going to Glock 19 or other 9mm

Glock 23 recoil not fun. Thinking of going to Glock 19 or other 9mm

I want to be able to shoot all day, and I don't see myself being able to attend a defensive pistol course and shooting for a few days with the .40

The recoil is causing my supporting hand to lose grip. I am not the most experienced shooter, but the Beretta 9mm we use in the Marines is easier to control, so I am considering something similar.

Smith&Wesson M&P
    Springfield XD (fullsize or compact??)
    Glock 19 ?

I am not sure that the grip fit my firing hand well, either.

2. Remove Ads

Any one of the three would be a great choice. I am partial to the Glock 19. Follow up shots are much easier with 9mm. With today's modern ammo, very little, if anything is lost between the major calibers.
    "To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms..."
    --Richard Henry Lee, 1788

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

There is a gun shop here close that has at least two of them in stock for rental, I will buy a box of 9mm ammo and go test fire some of them.

The follow-on shot is a concern, too. I have a hard time keeping the weapon on target with it jumping around like that.

What are you using for ammo? I find the 180 grain ball to be less snappy than the 165s with my G23.

But you may find a gun with a less-blocky grip to be better for you. Most of the time you'll find me shooting a 1911, but in double-stack designs I'm particularly fond of the CZ75. You can carry it cocked and locked, or hammer down on a loaded chamber with a double-action first shot. Capacity is 15 or 16+1 in 9mm.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    You could save yourself some money and get a 9mm barrel and mags for the 23 and pretend it is a 19. I've been known to run that set up in classes just to save money on the ammo. As an added benefit you'll probably soon be able to control the 23 if you think the .40 is a better caliber. (I only mention that because you bought the thing, not to start a caliber war.)
    MamaMaria, RT, sparkykb and 2 others like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

You could also try the G21 or G30. .40 pistols tend to have snappy recoil where .45 in my experience are more of a push. OMO. Without changing pistol, you could also look at changing the recoil spring/guide rod for a heavier one. That will also decrease the felt recoil.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Buying a conversion barrel and a couple 9mm mags is certainly another option. Cheaper practice with the 9mm, and you'll have two guns in one. Have you tried a rubber grip sleeve or grip tape? Either can make a world of difference in keeping a good purchase on the gun.

Or you can come to the darkside and just buy an XD or two...(as seen in my signature, I'm a bit of an XD fan)
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

I was given this gun by a friend among time ago and it sat until recently. I never shot it much at one time so I never noticed the shock my hand was taking. I will try shooting it more often and see if I can't get better at controlling it and rent the others wherever possible and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies!

Happy New Year!

RT
    I agree with those who have suggested the conversion barrel and 9mm mags. Lone Wolf conversion barrels sell for as low as $100, and I've seen the mags go for around $25. Buying the barrel and a few mags would give you 2 guns in 1, leaving you the option to go with the .40 if you so choose in the future, for less than half the price of any of those three options you mentioned in the OP.

That said, the M&P might be a good choice if you don't think you'll be able to get used to the feel of the Glock. Glocks have never felt quite "right" in my hand, but my M&P feels like a perfect fit. It points naturally and has been extremely accurate and reliable. YMMV though.

i just bought a new glock 23 gen 3 i like it and don't really have problem with the recoil and i'm 140lbs soaking wet, i was out shooting my stepdad and hes 6'2 nd like 180 he was using a s&w9, just a comparison. but i've heard alot of people who don't like the snappy recoil on the 40 but i like it i'd like to try a 9 and 45 to compare though

compare to a 9 and 45 in a glock

If you stay with Glock, then the 9mm conversion for the G23 makes sense. However, if you decide to go with another 9mm, then I strongly recommend that you check out the CZ75 P01. It shoots softer, is more accurate, and feels better in the hand than my G19/23. You can find all kinds of info about the torture tests that it went through for NATO acceptance. Plus, it functions like the M9 that you are familiar with. It is my favorite 9mm by far.

Try the cheapest solution. I also had a problem with recoil twisting the gun out of my hand, until I tried skateboard tape. This made all the difference in the world. Cost is $8, and I have enough left over to do several other guns.

Amazon.com: Black Magic Single Sheet Griptape: Sports & Outdoors
    MamaMaria likes this.

IMHO, the G19 is the MVP of Gaston's All-Star lineup. First try different .40 S&W ammo, then (also) consider renting EVERY SINGLE 9mm handgun you can get your hands on. The gun should fit the shooter, the shooter shouldn't EVER have to compromise to fit the gun. Only you are...you. Enjoy discovering the one.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by xtalman View Post
    Try the cheapest solution. I also had a problem with recoil twisting the gun out of my hand, until I tried skateboard tape. This made all the difference in the world. Cost is $8, and I have enough left over to do several other guns.

Amazon.com: Black Magic Single Sheet Griptape: Sports & Outdoors
    +1000 to the skateboard tape. Way cheaper than the stuff made for pistols. One of my son's friends is a skateboarder, and he gives me all his "scraps." I told him it's for my craft projects, lol!
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links