I think bullets hit my house last night

This is a discussion on I think bullets hit my house last night within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Last night at midnight I heard a bunch of firecrackers/fireworks going off, but intermixed with that I heard at least one rifle and several pistol's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: I think bullets hit my house last night

Last night at midnight I heard a bunch of firecrackers/fireworks going off, but intermixed with that I heard at least one rifle and several pistol's being fired. These have a uniquely different sound than fireworks. From what I heard there was at least one semiauto rifle going off (the evenly spaced, consistent crack lends me to think it was a semi auto rifle. Intermixed was a faster but consistent pop of a handgun. While I was hearing all the commotion I heard the sound of two bullets impacting wood on our house. I went outside this morning and found two spots where I believe they, it appears they were coming down and impacted the siding of the house. Latter today I am going to get the ladder out and inspect more closely to confirm. I suspect it came from the trailer park/meth garden that has developed on the other side of our dead end road.

Why do people do that? We have big windows and a couch sitting right under one, if impact of one of the bullets hit 5 or so feet from where I think it hit, it could have come through the window and hit our couch.

EDIT - to those saying call it in.. I did: When I did they said they would "added to their list" they just asked for the general direction.

They actually asked more than that, they first thing asked is asked was if anyone was hurt, then if we saw who was doing the shooting. Then they asked where it was coming from, and said they would "add it to the list" of complaints.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    This is one of the few times that my course of action would be to call the police and be a good witness.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Make sure you report it. It may not necessarily lead to the arrest of anybody, but if others reported hearing gun shots and possibly other houses were hit and they actually do find who did it, it'll be one more thing to add to their charges.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Make sure you report it. It may not necessarily lead to the arrest of anybody, but if others reported hearing gun shots and possibly other houses were hit and they actually do find who did it, it'll be one more thing to add to their charges.
    What be said.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

That's a bummer!

IMO, about the only thing you can do is ask the police department to patrol that area next New Years eve and maybe spend that night somewhere else for your safety?

I heard the same thing last night from some of my red neck neighbors but I live in the country, and when they shoot up in the air, the odds are slim it will land on my house, I hope?

Good luck...
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

I would definitely notify PD. If they are bullet holes I would bet they could get a pretty precise idea of where they came from. They do it on TV all the time and the TV never lies. (But seriously, good luck)

We thought we heard gun shots last night, but after listening closer, we could hear the low thud as the fireworks flew from their tubes before the crack of the firework exploding. So all was well.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

NMB
    Call it in.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Good to hear no one was hurt and that you reported it to law enforcement. It may not lead to anything but who knows. A few years ago my sister-in-law came home from work and found a good sized bullet hole in her house. It was at an angle and still penetrated an inner wall to an unused bedroom. I saw the hole and it looked like a 30 caliber rifle bullet did the damage. It was during hunting season and there are quite a number of 30-06s and 308s in the area. Now you should contact your insurance company if the damage is more than your deductable.

I just got a visit from law enforcement to follow up on the report! We were able to find to find two holes but it looks like just one bullet caused it. It came down through the eve close to the gutter then put a hole in the vinyl siding, and probably stuck in wooden siding under the vinyl. If there was a second one, we can't locate it.

I notified the landlord who plans on coming over in a bit to look (after they get over their hangover), so it is no cost out of our pocket. If it was my house I would probably take some roofing sealant, fill the hole by the gutter and call that good. The vinyl siding however we will probably have to live with for the time being.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Glad no one was hurt!!

We had a bullet hit the back of my house a couple years ago - RIGHT under a window. I was so mad! Never did figure out where it came from.

A kid locally was hit by "celebratory" gun fire last New Year's Eve, luckily he survived. I've never understood firing a gun into the air... That whole be sure of your target and what's behind it thing....

There was gunfire near my home last night right after midnight, no damage to our home,
    But man, whoever was doing it had some nerve, considering recent events in our town...
    Take the long way home...

mkh
    With meth heads across the road the best thing for incoming fire may be outgoing fire.

Distinguished Member
    So called "celebratory" gunfire common here also on New Years. Alcohol, idiots, and guns do not mix well.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Just be glad you don't live in the Middle East where everyone fires into the air for any reason!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links