Night IDPA match with lasers and lights

This is a discussion on Night IDPA match with lasers and lights within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Deliverance IDPA held a nighttime International Defensive Pistol Association match last Saturday [evening]. .... As an exception to regular IDPA rules, lasers and weapon mounted ...

Deliverance IDPA held a nighttime International Defensive Pistol Association match last Saturday [evening]. ....

As an exception to regular IDPA rules, lasers and weapon mounted flashlights were permitted in the match. Shooters who did not have a holster compatible with their laser or light were allowed to place the pistol on a barrel and pick it up to start.
    Nighttime shootout in Pickens County - Atlanta Firearms | Examiner.com

It was pretty clear that lasers and weapon mounted lights convey a significant shooting advantage. I.e., dominant tactical advantage.

As a test, I shot the match wearing tactical gloves. As I used to tell the students at Rogers, while gloves have value in a broad sense, even good ones are a significant disadvantage when shooting.

For those who use hand held lights, you need to work with them regularly. Even the shooters who had been trained in correct usage did not use them very well during the match. Generally, regardless of technique, the light ended up pointing way low. Note the picture in the slide show of the light pointing at the base of the target. That was almost universal among people using hand held lights. And that target was only about 5 yards away. When using a small light, the Harries is horrible in this respect. A lot of people think it's an easy and somewhat instinctive technique to use but it's not. I've observed this weakness many times from the catwalk of a shoothouse.

My own experience was that the M3 light on my Vertec was more difficult to use quickly and efficiently than I anticipated. I may go back to the Safariland RLS for bedside use instead.
    Attached Images

JD
    Administrator
    Would like to hear more about your thoughts/usage of the RLS, have been eye-balling them for some time but there seem to be limited reviews.

Once our club and safety officers are a little more seasoned, we would LOVE to do a night match.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Would like to hear more about your thoughts/usage of the RLS, have been eye-balling them for some time but there seem to be limited reviews.
    Fair disclaimer: I used to be the inventor's Chief Instructor.

The RLS works well for people who want to carry a weapon light but find the holsters too bulky. It's a good light, ambidextrous, and easier to manipulate than most lights that don't have a DevGroup type switch. I have had mine for several years so the current ones could be a little different. A really nice thing about it is that it gives you a conventional flashlight you can carry on your belt and use like a regular flashlight. Other weapon lights aren't like that. It also takes AAA batteries instead of 123 batteries, which I am not fond of. And the RLS has a very long run time, >50 hours, compared to 123 powered lights. Rapid Light System | Duty Gear Accessories - SAFARILANDô

I went over to the M3, which is a good light, to see what the difference in operation would be like. After the match, I have to say that it was more difficult to use than the RLS. Granted, I have worked with the RLS a lot, but the placement of the M3 switch made it more difficult to use. I could get a DevGroup switch but since I use a CT laser, a DevGroup switch would mean doing three different squeezing actions with my shooting hand. I'm not sure that's a good idea.

rls_pic.jpg

Similar results to what I experienced and observed at the low light pistol class I took. Nice review.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

That looks like a lot of fun! I have shot a few matches but definitely not a night match!

Our club has an IDPA night match just once a year, I really wish we had it semi-annually. It's a totally different animal out there at night with all the muzzle flashes and loss of night vision.

Shooting basically one hand strong side with flash light in the other is not as fast or as accurate for me anyway. But, fun, fun, fun!
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Links