Thoughts on a S&W 686 purchase...

This is a discussion on Thoughts on a S&W 686 purchase... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I might have a chance to pick up an S&W 686, 4", stainless .357 at a store that's going out of business. Right now it's ...

Thread: Thoughts on a S&W 686 purchase...

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

I might have a chance to pick up an S&W 686, 4", stainless .357 at a store that's going out of business. Right now it's at $579 but it's likely to come down another $40-$50. I don't have any large caliber revolvers and would like this one but I'm not sure on the price. I see a lot of you mention prices for different weapons that I simply can't get around this part of S.E. Missouri.

Also, the gun is just a hair large for me. In single action its great but its a bit of a reach in DA. I was wondering if there are grips for this weapon that make it a little better fit for smaller hands?

Any input at all would be appreciated. I intend to use it for a sidearm during deer season, when hiking/camping, and possible home defense. It's awfully big for me for CCW.

thanks
    Gideon

I would buy it for around 525 as long as it is new

VIP Member
    you probably do not want to shot a 686 DA anyway except in an emergency. Learn a two handed grip and to pull the hammer back with the weak hand thumb, you should be able to get off 5 aimed and accurate shots in 15 sec or less for a 15 yd or closer tgt.

Assistant Administrator
    Which model? The seven shot? And is it NIB?

If so then as Bud mentions a buy price around $500 would be OK but not IMO a super deal. They are popular tho and - lovely revo's.

If an early one (6 shot) but in real good shape then $375 to $425, and condition 95% plus. JMO.

You could get smaller grips.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

It's a 7 round I think and it's definitely new. I think handgun prices run high in our area. Only a few shops, none where you can try them at a range. There's one main shop that has a good selection but they're REALLY high. I believe they think they've got the market cornered in this area so they really jack the price up and won't work with you at all.

I can't believe the prices I hear you guys getting. Even if this is a 6 shot (funny I can't remember) it is beautiful and I think it would outlast me and go to my boys. Single action w/two handed grip it's a good fit.

Thanks for the input!
    Gideon

Awesome gun

the 686 is awesome. However, thats not a great price. Pretty sure my 686 7 banger was under $500 a couple of years ago. It was a present from the wife, so don't know for sure.

Still, if he can come down a bit and you can give cash, it might be worthwhile, especially if it is going to take you hours of time and gallons of gas to get a better price.

Actually, I just went online and checked out Academy, who normally have some great prices in our area on guns. They are asking $569. So maybe you're in the ballpark already. I still think you can bring him down some. If he is going out of business, it will only get sold at wholesale or less if he doesn't sell it soon.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...358-03425-4194

Properly smoothed out, a 686 will feel like a well used Sig, in DA. The wide trigger and Hogue grips were my favorite combo. I would be a tad leery of SA, if kept for defensive purposes- again, if properly worked, or very much used it will be really light. Excellent weapon. I would prefer one w/o the lock crap, but if that doesn't bother you......

I live in Missouri and bought this one 686 6+1 at Nassau Sporting good's Feb 2nd 2002 brand new for $469.95 + $33.95 tax for a total of $503.90 out the door. I would continue to look around if I were you. They could have gone up since then but better than $100 bucks?

ETA: I just check my dealer who has the best prices I have ever found on anything firearms related and he has them for $592.95 so i guess they have gone up quite a bit then. That is a crazy amount of jump though geez.

Ti.
    Last edited by Ti Carry; October 17th, 2006 at 07:04 PM.
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

I had a 2 1/2 inch 686 and really liked it, sold it and have wished I had it back ever since. NIB in '96' (or about) for $389. Dumb me got rid of it!! That is a good price your looking at for a seven shot, I'd buy it if I wanted it as they will just get higher$$$$.

Good input guys; this one is actually the 6 shot. I saw a 620 7 shot at another shop today for about 550 NIB. I like the full lug under the barrel on the 686 but I'm going to wait to see if it'll get under $500 or I'll just let it pass. I don't really need it and it's not the best barrel length for deer hunting so it's just not that important. Besides, I really need to be saving for my compact 1911. It's my dream to buy a really nice compact 1911 with a 3 or 4" barrel as my ultimate carry rig but I couldn't help but like the revolver. They have a Rossi .357 4" that's probably going to be under $300 soon. I thought about getting that just for a cheap fun field gun. It's blued and has a smaller frame so it fits me very well. I know it's no smith but I'm not going to be shooting it more than a few times a year and mostly with .38s so maybe I'll get that just to scratch my itch....

Thanks guys!

Gideon

Wow, I'm saying some nice prices here being posted for the 686 in other parts of the country. Here in SoCal, prices start in the low 600's.

VIP Member
    I bought a 4" full underlug 686 in 1994 ($389 out the door). It has 7000+ rounds through it. About 30% 357 mag, mainly the 125 JHP Remington boomers. If you have shot that 357 round you know what I mean. The range looks like this after a few rounds. I even had several Fed LEOs come down a few lanes to see what sort of cannon I had. They were stunned it was "only" a 357.

I love my 686 and it being my first revolver I was hooked.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I carried a 686 on the street back in the day. I used pachmyer grips which worked out great.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    you probably do not want to shot a 686 DA anyway except in an emergency. Learn a two handed grip and to pull the hammer back with the weak hand thumb, you should be able to get off 5 aimed and accurate shots in 15 sec or less for a 15 yd or closer tgt.
    Huh? What are you using this gun for primarily? In a real life defensive situation you'll be shooting double action. The only time you'll use single action is for punching paper. If that's your goal, fine. But if you really want a single action defensive firearm look at the autos. Also most double action autos have a lighter trigger pull out of the box than a revolver. But a revolver with a good trigger job is very nice too.

Links