So I was at the gun range. And we almost killed someone. - Page 2

So I was at the gun range. And we almost killed someone.

This is a discussion on So I was at the gun range. And we almost killed someone. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by DDGator Use up your prepaid time and then look for something better. My own view: If the problem is pronounced enough that ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So I was at the gun range. And we almost killed someone.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DDGator View Post
    Use up your prepaid time and then look for something better.

My own view: If the problem is pronounced enough that we feel it's a threat to safety, why bother using the prepaid time? Isn't that like saying that the money is worth more than safety? How much money does the original poster stand to lose by not using the remainder of the time?

Is that worth losing an eye, or some blood, if the next one is worse?

Me, I'd consider the lost money the cost of learning that I don't want to shoot there, and I'd go in search of a better range: a good place to start would be any range I had never heard anyone call a "dump"!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanCCW View Post
    One guy had some stitches on his face. A few inches over and it would be his eye, but good think he was wearing safety goggles. (Lesson)

I've never been to an indoor range that would allow shooters in without verifying that they had suitable eye protection. And since most of them have closed circuit t.v. surveillance of the lanes, I imagine that if any shooter was on the line without wearing the glasses, they'd get talked-to.

I would never shoot without glasses or goggles. I wear prescription eyeglasses, and I wear polycarbonate protective lenses that fit over them, for added safety.

Jeffrey,

I agree -- if it is really a safety issue. What was described at this range seems like its not unusual to me. This stuff happens at indoor ranges, but usually without any injury. If he feels unsafe, then he shouldn't go back.
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

Ive had bullets ricochet at my range in my woods. And you could hear them bounce through the trees. Glad no one was hurt in your incident. A good reminder to always wear eye and ear protection. Shhot safe.

Sixgun

My question would be was the bullet coming back the one you fired OR did your bullet hit another one that was laying the pit, kicking that one back toward the firing line. Could have been either one..

Allan

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    I was shooting factory 44MAG rounds at a range a few years ago and one of them came back and hit me in my trigger (right) hand. I was still in firing position when it hit me. Tore a 1-1/2 inch gash across my index finger. If my hand wasn't in firing position it would have hit me in the face. All the more reason to wear eye protection when shooting.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

I've been hit several times. Only got cut once in the leg. The range I used to go to had a steel trap. The one I go to now uses rubber trap and no more problems.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Once as a kid I had a BB bounce and head straight for my eye. Not much compares to seeing a projectile come straight at you. That was one day I was GLAD to be wearing glasses.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

"you'll shoot your eye out kid!"

This is why many ranges don't allow FMJ or JHP ammo and only ball ammo. tends to lessen this.

Quote Originally Posted by DDGator View Post
    Sounds like you were at the Indoor Shooting Company over on Fowler. What a dump that place is. I wouldn't shoot there on a regular basis. I have been there on occasion for a bowling pin shoot.

There are much better ranges around -- try Tenoroc or Wyoming Antelope Club for outdoor ranges.

Bullet bounceback is not unusual on an indoor range. I shoot at St. Pete Police Pistol Club and have many times seen deformed .45 ACP brass come back at the firing line. Usually it is skidding across the floor, but it will come back. It should never come back fast enough to hurt you. The problem is probably exacerbated at that range because its is so short -- isn't the max depth like 15 yards?

Use up your prepaid time and then look for something better.
    Quite... There's substantially more than one shooting range within a 20 mile range of Tampa. In addition to the above, there's Shooting Sports out on Dale Mabry, or Knight Shooting in Clearwater.

G.

"So I was at the gun range. And we almost killed someone." So this dude walked over to me and said he thought my bullet hit his arm. No one was hurt.
    To me, these kind of postings don't help us a bit. Exaggeration in a big way on a forum that the anti's can use against us.I noticed nobody picked up on it the first day it was printed and I wonder why we give the anti's loaded guns to shoot at us with.
    Maybe a better way to put it would have been,"Has anyone ever been hit by a bullet at the firing range." Or just do an e mail to a trusted friend and not "air" this kind of stuff except in a warning such as, "the old firing range at so and so location has a problem with bullets and jackets coming out of the trap."

Thanks,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by abuttermilk View Post
    "So I was at the gun range. And we almost killed someone." So this dude walked over to me and said he thought my bullet hit his arm. No one was hurt.
    To me, these kind of postings don't help us a bit. Exaggeration in a big way on a forum that the anti's can use against us.I noticed nobody picked up on it the first day it was printed and I wonder why we give the anti's loaded guns to shoot at us with.
    Maybe a better way to put it would have been,"Has anyone ever been hit by a bullet at the firing range." Or just do an e mail to a trusted friend and not "air" this kind of stuff except in a warning such as, "the old firing range at so and so location has a problem with bullets and jackets coming out of the trap."

Thanks,
    Andy
    You're right. I probably did exagerate. But I posted this within an hour of when it happened and I was still in shock. It has never happened to me before and I have never heard it happening to anyone. Now I know differently and know that it is "reasonably" common.

The worst thing is that I took someone that I am "courting" and it was her first time. I didn't freak out in front of her, but I thought " Oh great. Her first time shooting and we hit someone with a bullet. SHe is going to hate guns and hate me" But she wanted to keep the bullet as a souvenier and didn't bat an eye when she heard it hit the guy. And the next day I told her that is is common in an indoor range and nothing to be scared of. I think I did decent damage control.

Quote Originally Posted by gbahri View Post
    ... I told her that is is common in an indoor range and nothing to be scared of.
    I've been struck by fragments a dozen times, or so. Mostly, in an indoor range where I first learned, but that was due mostly to the design of the backstop/trap area. Still, I've heard from numerous folks that shoot on other indoor ranges. It's definitely not an uncommon thing. Long pants, long-sleeved shirt, wrap-around polycarb. glasses, a brimmed "baseball" style cap: each of these can help protect. Nicely, she seems to be comfortable with the idea ricochets of fragments can occur. Good for her.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sevesteen View Post
    Wear eyes and ears of course.

Maybe a cup?!?!?!?!
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links