Mother-in-Law Gun - Page 2

Mother-in-Law Gun

This is a discussion on Mother-in-Law Gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Usually when you see "mother-in-law" and "gun" in the same sentence it's not for advice on how to put the two together... are you sure ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Mother-in-Law Gun

Usually when you see "mother-in-law" and "gun" in the same sentence it's not for advice on how to put the two together... are you sure you want to be helping to arm her? Think back to the wedding day... did she say anything along the lines of "One day I will get you... one day... when you least expect it... in a way you'd never suspect..." The "Mwahahahahaaaa!!!!" at the end would have been optional.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 or M&P Shield for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23 for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Why do so many people recommend revolvers for women so fast?

My wife is a small lady and shoots a Kahr CW9 pretty well. That was around $350 I think. If, however, you can convince your MiL to shell out a little more, or if you like her and might be willing to chip in, look into the Walther PPQ. My parents picked one up a couple months ago and while my wife and I were visiting she picked it up and cut her group sizes down tremendously. I could see her eyes begging for one. My mother can shoot it decent as well, though not as well as she should as she's not really into learning that much.

The semi-auto beats a revolver in choice of caliber, capacity, reload speed and lighter trigger pulls.
    I usually recommend revolvers for women, because as a rule, they aren't interested and/or willing to practice and train with their handguns like us guys do. There are most certainly exceptions to this rule, no doubt, and for those, I'm with you.

I'd also recommend a revolver for a male that wasn't interested in shooting/training with it. It's not sexist is the point I'm trying to make. My girlfriend would really like me to buy her a Kimber Ultra Raptor in .45ACP like I carry, but in order for her to really be proficient with that pistol, she'd have to spend lots of time on our range, firing lots of rounds.

A revolver is just easier to use, with less things to go wrong, in a critical incident. If it's loaded, and she pulls the trigger, it will go bang. If it's an semi-automatic pistol, she needs to remember to chamber a round, to have the safety off (if there is one), to have the magazine firmly seated in the mag well. If she fires once, and has a FTF, or FTE, she needs to know how to resolve this quickly to get back in the fight. Also, the facts concerning gun fights, to include police gun battles still point to 3-5 rounds, in 3-5 seconds, at 3-5 feet. That's fast, brutally fast. Unless she's willing to train, to practice with that pistol, she's better off with a wheel gun.

I've trained and helped train lots of women to become proficient with firearms. Most of these women didn't have a choice (revolver vs semi-auto pistol) because we were training on the agency issued sidearm. We realized that one size doesn't fit all though, so we needed to make accommodations for smaller hands, etc. We also spent some time with hand strengthening devices, to help develop the muscles needed to fire a pistol, consistently for 60 rounds per qualification course.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

Mother-in-Law Gun

One with the barrel bent backwards maybe? ;)
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

I don't have a problem with revolvers, or anything for the ladies, as long as THEY make the choice. I do think it's insulting, and a display of gender bias to insinuate that a semi-automatic is "too complex" for any female. Every gun show I go to, I see some "expert" selling a titanium 1 inch barreled .357 to a small lady and failing to warn her about the potential for increased perceived recoil. Some ladies do well with the "ladies guns" but it's been my experience that just as many if not more, end up trading in the snubbies for heavier, more "gentile" guns.
    Lish, KBSR and MrsHB like this.
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Quote Originally Posted by usmcj View Post
    I don't have a problem with revolvers, or anything for the ladies, as long as THEY make the choice. I do think it's insulting, and a display of gender bias to insinuate that a semi-automatic is "too complex" for any female. Every gun show I go to, I see some "expert" selling a titanium 1 inch barreled .357 to a small lady and failing to warn her about the potential for increased perceived recoil. Some ladies do well with the "ladies guns" but it's been my experience that just as many if not more, end up trading in the snubbies for heavier, more "gentile" guns.
    I don't feel any post in this thread has been a gender bias discussion. Stating, from personal experience with my family/friends(men and women) that have never handled a gun, find a semi-auto a bit hard to learn right away. As I mentioned, we were all this way once. Both genders because I know many women on this site, and most a better shot than I. Insulting and gender-bias is not something I take kindly too. Any thing, gun, car, cell phone, etc.. is a bit complex to someone who has never used them before. Also mentioned, constant handling and practice will quickly do away with the overwhelming feeling of not knowing what to do.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    My advice is stick with a revolver, in the .38/.357 range, or a Taurus Judge if you can find one. .45LC/.410 shotgun in a revolver is a potent self defense handgun. I bought one for my girlfriend for Christmas a year ago, and she loves it, and can shoot it well.
    I beg to differ on the Judge. .45 Colt is fine out of it, but a shotshell out of that short of a barrel is pretty anemic, especially since it's .410. Plus it's flippin' huge and only holds 5 rounds. I would only consider one as a trail gun for taking out snakes and rodents. Instead of 5 rounds of .45 Colt of out a very large low capacity platform, get 5-6 shots of a more practical caliber and a smaller gun. Just my opinion.

May I recommend the Ruger LCR.

I got one for my wife to compliment her (now stolen) Ruger LCP. She had expressed the desire to get a small revolver. She also wanted it in .357 Magnum.

At first I thought the Magmum would be too heavy a caliber, but she remided me that you can also shoot .38spl in it as well. So I got one.

It is a dream of a revolver. It has a smooth as glass trigger pull, it's lightweight and perfect for a lady.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by DandLfam View Post
    Ease of use. A lot of women, especially those unfamiliar with guns, have a hard time with multiple things on SA's. Racking the slide, remember which button tears down, locks slide, mag drop, safety (if applicable)... too much. Granted, those are second nature to us who handle them daily and could become that way for her if she was in use frequently.
    It may not have been intended as a gender bias statement, but it does read like one IMO. You didn't say 'a lot of people, especially those new to guns' but "a lot of women" and then went on to discuss the multiple things we'd have to be able to figure out and remember.

I've grown to where I hate these threads and most of the time I skip them altogether. The best advice I have is if someone is looking for help, bring them to a nice large store, preferably one that rents guns, and let them explore. Answer their questions as they go along but it's such an individual preference there's no right answer for anyone's girlfriend, wife, mother, etc. My own mil is currently considering getting a handgun and has started asking me questions. I answer them and discuss why I've made the choices I have but I also ask about her plans and needs and I've invited her to come out with me so she can figure out what is best for her and her needs. When I was first looking, my husband tried hard to push me to a revolver but I just didn't like them. Couldn't tell you why, just didn't pick up or fire a single one that I liked. I ended up buying and learning on a semi - it's what felt right for me. Granted I did start with a pop up barrel, but very quickly moved up to a larger gun in a different caliber. Yup, I can rack the slide and drop the mag and I've even been able to remember which button tears the thing down...

The other thing I often recommend to any body, especially women, is to check out Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat. She has a lot of great info there, mainly geared for women, but applicable to anyone new to firearms IMO. One of my favorites from her site is:

"What gun for someone who isnít mechanically inclined

For the women reading this: if youíre smart enough to drive a car, you can learn as much as you need to know about any gun you care to shoot. No matter what the old guys in the gun shops might try to tell you, guns are honestly not that complicated! The problem is that few people are really systematic teachers, so if youíre trying to pick it up from an enthusiastic friend, well, you might be better off taking a class.

For the guys: have you ever looked at a sewing machine? Complicated beasties, those. Firearms are simple in comparison. Donít underestimate your wife/girlfriend/sister/mom.* Sheís probably smarter than youíre giving her credit for."
    JetGirl, usmcj, KBSR and 3 others like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A good, used S&W .38, something like a Model 10.
    tkruf and tacman605 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    A good, used S&W .38, something like a Model 10.
    Exactly my thoughts ! ! !

Used Model 10 or J-frame with 3"-4" barrel. Possibly even Ruger SP101 with 3" barrel. Not too heavy, enough to soak up some recoil, but simple to load and operate.

3" model 36. revolver.jpg
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by Lish View Post
    You didn't say 'a lot of people, especially those new to guns' but "a lot of women" and then went on to discuss the multiple things we'd have to be able to figure out and remember.
    Read it the same way on this end.

For the women reading this: if youíre smart enough to drive a car, you can learn as much as you need to know about any gun you care to shoot.
    Exactly that ^.

For the guys: have you ever looked at a sewing machine? Complicated beasties, those. Firearms are simple in comparison. Donít underestimate your wife/girlfriend/sister/mom.* Sheís probably smarter than youíre giving her credit for."
    Excellent comparison.
    Now let's talk tuning extractors (OR setting bobbin tensions)...
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    The 1911 pistol remains the service pistol of choice in the eyes of those who understand the problem. ~ Col. Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by JetGirl View Post
    Read it the same way on this end.

Exactly that ^.

Excellent comparison.
    Now let's talk tuning extractors (OR setting bobbin tensions)...

JetGirl, Lish, and any other female reading this... my post was not intended to single out women or demean them. I know a lot of women that shoot better, know more gun tips, own more guns, etc, than I do. I was just being general(and there is the problem) in this situation because the OP was referring to a female.

So let me rephrase my statement to be more clear and precise:

A lot of people, both male and female, that are unfamiliar to guns have a hard time with semi-auto's because of all the buttons, levers, take down switches, and whatever else. Someone that has not done so much as pick up a gun would find a revolver easier to use. There are less things to remember to do. Sure, like any thing with practice and knowledge, anyone can can be good with a semi-auto.

As with guns, cars, cell phones, etc... the more a person(male/female) uses them and researches them, the better and more comfortable they will become with the object.

Again, ladies no disrespect meant. Just a lack of clarity on my part. Will proof read in the future.

-Derrick
    Lish likes this.
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

VIP Member
    Question is, can she rack the slide on a semi-auto? If so, take a look at the Kahr CW9. If not, look at a .38 Special revolver.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    Hahah "Gimmicky" huh? .410 shotgun shells of various shot size, that go bang every time the trigger is pulled. Or .45 Long Colt. Why, pray tell, would you consider that "gimmicky"? Because you don't own one, or haven't shot one, or because it's new fangled?

That's funny.
    Laugh away, I guess, but we are all entitled to our opinions. I have fired a Judge... and I liked it. It isn't a gun I would use as a SD gun, personally. YMMV, but I'm far from the only one that feels that way. Here are a couple of links.

Taurus Judge .45 Colt/.410 Bore Revolvers

The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Yes I would recommend a revolver in 38 cal since she does not to worry about the safety and there is always a shell in the chamber if she needs it quickly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links