Mother-in-Law Gun - Page 3

Mother-in-Law Gun

This is a discussion on Mother-in-Law Gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by DandLfam JetGirl, Lish, and any other female reading this... my post was not intended to single out women or demean them. I ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Mother-in-Law Gun

Quote Originally Posted by DandLfam View Post
    JetGirl, Lish, and any other female reading this... my post was not intended to single out women or demean them. I know a lot of women that shoot better, know more gun tips, own more guns, etc, than I do. I was just being general(and there is the problem) in this situation because the OP was referring to a female.

So let me rephrase my statement to be more clear and precise:

A lot of people, both male and female, that are unfamiliar to guns have a hard time with semi-auto's because of all the buttons, levers, take down switches, and whatever else. Someone that has not done so much as pick up a gun would find a revolver easier to use. There are less things to remember to do. Sure, like any thing with practice and knowledge, anyone can can be good with a semi-auto.

As with guns, cars, cell phones, etc... the more a person(male/female) uses them and researches them, the better and more comfortable they will become with the object.

Again, ladies no disrespect meant. Just a lack of clarity on my part. Will proof read in the future.

-Derrick
    That's the problem with reading things online - it's easily taken for something different than the person originally intended. No harm done. (I do admit I sometimes get my feathers a little ruffled with "little lady" type things lol)

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I would like to recommend 2 choices. While she may have to ge one at a time the 2 punch approach may be what's called for. First I would go with a good to high quality 38 Special +P revolver with a 3 or 4 inch barrel. Second I would consider a short barrel 20 guage pump action or semi-auto shotgun. I would also work on hardening her home. Secure windows, remove shrubbery that is close to the house (so BGs can't hide), more sturdy door to her bedroom or safe room, and a cell phone (incase the landline phone has been disabled). If you contact local law enforcement they should have a crime prevention unit which should come out and do a security survey. They will recommend ways to make it morre difficult for break ins to occur. Good luck and stay safe.
    tony1990 and MrsHB like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    For my M-in-L? A starter pistol.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by lowercase View Post
    Here's the one I got for my mother-in-law

Attachment 66209

Thats scary I was thinking the same thing lol.
    lowercase likes this.

All jokes aside. Check out the s&w m&p9c. I have one and its one of the lightest recoiling 9mms I have ever shot small light concealable and holds 12 +1 rounds and can use full size 17 round mags. imho

First thing is training - get her to the range with you.

For people new to shooting I would look at a revolver. If it's going to be HD vice carry than a 3"/4" barrel allows greater control.

Another option is a shotgun - 20g or 410. A coach gun is real simple to use. Mossberg makes a youth model pump that can be had in 20g or 410.

But regardless range time and some proper training is most prudent.
    USN Retired

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links