Defensive Carry banner

Mother-in-Law Gun

3K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  rangefinder 
#1 ·
My Mother-in-Law approached me today asking me to teach her to shoot and to help her buy a gun as there has been a lot of B&Es in her neighborhood lately and she live alone. I was thinking something cheap in cost, but not too cheap in quality, also something kind of small as she is 4'11" and 50+ years old (won't admit her age). What caliber, make, and model would you suggest? Thanks

#2 ·
In the $400 range, look at the Ruger SR series. I have the SR9c and it has been awesome. The SR series is fairly slim. Ruger SR9 9MM 17R Stainless $407.00 SHIPS FREE

If she isn't strong or dexterous enough to operate a semi-auto, there are several .38 snub nose options in the $300-400 range. Taurus and Charter are going to be towards the cheaper end, but neither have a sterling reputation. A Ruger LCR would be a little more money but would be worth the cost. If the gun is dedicated to home defense, a full frame/size revolver would be appropriate too.

Keep in mind the smaller and lighter a gun is, recoil tends to be harsher. A full size 9mm will be more pleasant to shoot than a pocket .380.

I suggest staying at the .38/9mm caliber or better.

#3 ·
sounds reasonable, however i know for a fact she cant wrap her hands aroung my HK USP so i was thinking slim-ish

#5 ·
My advice is stick with a revolver, in the .38/.357 range, or a Taurus Judge if you can find one. .45LC/.410 shotgun in a revolver is a potent self defense handgun. I bought one for my girlfriend for Christmas a year ago, and she loves it, and can shoot it well.

Doesn't sound like she's going to carry this weapon, so full size (or the best size that fits her hand) would be best for her.

Good luck and be safe.

#6 ·
Normally for mother in laws I recommend a heavier caliber some of them are pretty tough but with her size I think you should be able to put her down with a well placed .22 round.

Sorry couldn't resist. On the serious side try to get her to a range that rents firearms or if you have friends that have a variety of firearms to let her try. I will say avoid small frame revolvers, especially hammerless models, they have very long heavy trigger pulls and are difficult to shoot well without practice.

Depending on her hand size and strength a med frame semi auto would be good and dependent on her ability and issues with recoil the Kel Tec P-30 .22 magnum might be something to look at since she is not going to carry it. Any of the good polymer framed guns in the mid sized models in 9mm would also fit the bill.

Just an opinion everyone will have their own choices.

#9 ·
Frequently asked question, and my consistent reply is......

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike.

Get some basic training FIRST. At this point she needs fundamentals, not run and gun, or force on force. Reputable instructors will provide a host of handguns and holsters for her to experience in class. That will give HER some idea of where HER preferences might lead her in handgun selection. Then.....

Buy a handgun just like she would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and she's looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in her hands, she'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and she won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If she's not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion... again....get some training......proper shooting techniques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If she practices speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into her training, she'll have to do it all over again to get it right. Most gun shops have a box of used holsters that she can experiment with after she's chosen what gun works best for her. There are many options for concealed/open carry.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there. Caliber doesn't count until after you can hit your target.

If you're buying a handgun for home protection, and you choose to NOT have it on your person, you should consider where in your home you might be if someone kicks the door in. I don't see a person in a position to be able to ask an intruder to "hang on a sec, while I get my gun"

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil...I've known more than a few gents who didn't care for the recoil of what's often called a "ladies gun"... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

Reactions: tacman605
#10 ·
I would also agree with a revolver. They are simple to use for someone who is unfamiliar with guns. I would agree 3-4" would be suffice. Check out the .357mag's though, will shoot two different size casings with multiple different type loads (.38sp, .38+p, .357 mag....).

A Judge would be a bit overkill in this situation the OP request. I think she wants something she can shoot on a regular. If she's only 4'11", I'd assumer her hands are small as well. I am doubting, and assuming, the OP's m-i-l wants something she dreads to shoot because it's hard to keep a hold of.

A Smith or Ruger revolver.. try to get her to shoot some before you buy though. Let her choose.

#11 ·
I really like the Ruger LCR. My wife is small and can't pull the trigger of my SP101 with one finger more than a couple of times, but she has no problem with the LCR. It is simple, has surprisingly low recoil for a small revolver, and very accurate. But what my wife likes is not what is important. usmcj is exactly right.

As for "The Judge", some attorneys advise against it because if used in a defense situation in a case that is taken to a grand jury or is prosecuted, the prosecutor may make a big deal of the defendant's choice of a weapon called a "Judge".

#12 ·
Ruger GP100 in 3 or 4 inch. Shoots either 38 spec or 357 mag.
My wife has a problem with S&W snubbie 38 spec, but can operate and shoot the GP and likes it better.
Ultimately got her a 351PD in 22 mag, and she likes that. We are on the higher side of 65, so age and uncle "ARTHUR"
makes using a semi auto slide very hard on the hands. Let her decide with some well placed info and make a
friend of MOM IN LAW. BTW Wife is 5-4 with smaller hands.
Have a happy holiday everyone! Stay safe from Lebanon, Oregon

#13 ·
I agree with USMCJ, and believe that the best way to start a new shooter is with a .22LR and build up from there. Few trips to the range, with an assortment of handguns, and she'll decide on one she likes best. They all do.

As to the Judge, I still think it's worth considering. My girlfriend has small hands, and wouldn't be considered large by any stretch of the imagination. Her, my daughter in law, and neighbors 17 year old daughter have all shot my girlfriends Judge, and liked it, and found it easy to shoot, with the bird shot loads in .410. I bought the "Public Defender" version, which has smaller grips than the original, and I think it's a 3" barrel.

If MIL isn't going to train regularly, isn't going to carry it daily, and wants a pistol that works every time she pulls the trigger, a judge could be right for her. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of some #7 shot coming from that pistol in a little ladies hands. Bet she'd be more likely to hit me with it, if she just pointed it in my direction. :)

Be safe.

#14 ·
Why do so many people recommend revolvers for women so fast?

My wife is a small lady and shoots a Kahr CW9 pretty well. That was around $350 I think. If, however, you can convince your MiL to shell out a little more, or if you like her and might be willing to chip in, look into the Walther PPQ. My parents picked one up a couple months ago and while my wife and I were visiting she picked it up and cut her group sizes down tremendously. I could see her eyes begging for one. My mother can shoot it decent as well, though not as well as she should as she's not really into learning that much.

The semi-auto beats a revolver in choice of caliber, capacity, reload speed and lighter trigger pulls.

#15 ·
Ease of use. A lot of women, especially those unfamiliar with guns, have a hard time with multiple things on SA's. Racking the slide, remember which button tears down, locks slide, mag drop, safety (if applicable)... too much. Granted, those are second nature to us who handle them daily and could become that way for her if she was in use frequently.

I agree, more caliber, capacity, reload, trigger pull... I'm a SA guy, I carry a M7P9c 95% of the time when legal to do so. But what I like does not mean that everyone else will like..

JMHO

#16 ·
Usually when you see "mother-in-law" and "gun" in the same sentence it's not for advice on how to put the two together... are you sure you want to be helping to arm her? Think back to the wedding day... did she say anything along the lines of "One day I will get you... one day... when you least expect it... in a way you'd never suspect..." The "Mwahahahahaaaa!!!!" at the end would have been optional.

#19 ·
I don't have a problem with revolvers, or anything for the ladies, as long as THEY make the choice. I do think it's insulting, and a display of gender bias to insinuate that a semi-automatic is "too complex" for any female. Every gun show I go to, I see some "expert" selling a titanium 1 inch barreled .357 to a small lady and failing to warn her about the potential for increased perceived recoil. Some ladies do well with the "ladies guns" but it's been my experience that just as many if not more, end up trading in the snubbies for heavier, more "gentile" guns.

#20 ·
I don't feel any post in this thread has been a gender bias discussion. Stating, from personal experience with my family/friends(men and women) that have never handled a gun, find a semi-auto a bit hard to learn right away. As I mentioned, we were all this way once. Both genders because I know many women on this site, and most a better shot than I. Insulting and gender-bias is not something I take kindly too. Any thing, gun, car, cell phone, etc.. is a bit complex to someone who has never used them before. Also mentioned, constant handling and practice will quickly do away with the overwhelming feeling of not knowing what to do.

#22 ·
May I recommend the Ruger LCR.

I got one for my wife to compliment her (now stolen) Ruger LCP. She had expressed the desire to get a small revolver. She also wanted it in .357 Magnum.

At first I thought the Magmum would be too heavy a caliber, but she remided me that you can also shoot .38spl in it as well. So I got one.

It is a dream of a revolver. It has a smooth as glass trigger pull, it's lightweight and perfect for a lady.

#28 ·
Question is, can she rack the slide on a semi-auto? If so, take a look at the Kahr CW9. If not, look at a .38 Special revolver.

#30 ·
Yes I would recommend a revolver in 38 cal since she does not to worry about the safety and there is always a shell in the chamber if she needs it quickly.

#32 ·
I would like to recommend 2 choices. While she may have to ge one at a time the 2 punch approach may be what's called for. First I would go with a good to high quality 38 Special +P revolver with a 3 or 4 inch barrel. Second I would consider a short barrel 20 guage pump action or semi-auto shotgun. I would also work on hardening her home. Secure windows, remove shrubbery that is close to the house (so BGs can't hide), more sturdy door to her bedroom or safe room, and a cell phone (incase the landline phone has been disabled). If you contact local law enforcement they should have a crime prevention unit which should come out and do a security survey. They will recommend ways to make it morre difficult for break ins to occur. Good luck and stay safe.

#36 ·
First thing is training - get her to the range with you.

For people new to shooting I would look at a revolver. If it's going to be HD vice carry than a 3"/4" barrel allows greater control.

Another option is a shotgun - 20g or 410. A coach gun is real simple to use. Mossberg makes a youth model pump that can be had in 20g or 410.

But regardless range time and some proper training is most prudent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.