Help with mounting my new scope so I can keep front iron sight on - Page 2

Help with mounting my new scope so I can keep front iron sight on

This is a discussion on Help with mounting my new scope so I can keep front iron sight on within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Take the rings you already have, and put them on the scope loosely. Then set them on the rifle. If the scope isn't hitting the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Help with mounting my new scope so I can keep front iron sight on

Take the rings you already have, and put them on the scope loosely. Then set them on the rifle. If the scope isn't hitting the rail, you're good with the rings you already have. If the rings can't mount to the rail because the objective lens is hitting the rail - you'll need higher rings. It's pretty simple.

A 20 MOA base is for long distance shooting. You don't need one.

If the scope fits on with the rings you already have....you're all set.

Austin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    actually, the second mount is M-series, not sure if it would fit the p-series scope
    As long as it's for a 1 inch scope and not a 30mm it will be OK. Also, I like 1 piece bases. What would make it warp? It's a big solid hunk of metal and anything that would hurt the mount would hurt the scope too.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    PM me and we can hook up. From Waukesha. You have options. you may need some different mount/ring set up. carbines twins.jpg

I got the gas block with the flip up front sight on my M4 works great. I hate to have the scope so high that I can't get a check weld. Sorry that you did not get better help at the Cabelas. Most of the time they are pretty good about it.

Help with mounting my new scope so I can keep front iron sight on

I use the 45 degree offset on mine and totally removed the front sight. Inside of 50 yards I find iron sights faster, even with a 1x - 4x scope I use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    As long as it's for a 1 inch scope and not a 30mm it will be OK. Also, I like 1 piece bases. What would make it warp? It's a big solid hunk of metal and anything that would hurt the mount would hurt the scope too.
    is the p-223 3-9x40 a 1"?

it's good to hear a riser isn't needed

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Take the rings you already have, and put them on the scope loosely. Then set them on the rifle. If the scope isn't hitting the rail, you're good with the rings you already have. If the rings can't mount to the rail because the objective lens is hitting the rail - you'll need higher rings. It's pretty simple.

A 20 MOA base is for long distance shooting. You don't need one.

If the scope fits on with the rings you already have....you're all set.

Austin
    well, the front lens hits the barrel, so i need the higher rings, im just gonna get the p233 rings made for the scope. i was asking about the high and if it's high enough for the front iron sight but it seems that the sight should see thru it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    PM me and we can hook up. From Waukesha. You have options. you may need some different mount/ring set up. carbines twins.jpg

I got the gas block with the flip up front sight on my M4 works great. I hate to have the scope so high that I can't get a check weld. Sorry that you did not get better help at the Cabelas. Most of the time they are pretty good about it.
    yeah, the kid at cabelas didn't seem to know much. i've found that the workers at gander mountain's gun world in germantown are WAY more knowledgeable and willing to talk than the workers at cabelas. however, prices tend to be better at cabelas

VIP Member
    You will see the front sight thru it. but it won't affect anything. Make sure to get your scope mounted comfortable for you and so you can maintain a good consistant check weld and have the full scope picture.

What rifle are you putting this on?

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    What rifle are you putting this on?

Austin
    m400

NIKON P-223 3-9x40 Rifle Scope, BDC 600 Reticle, 1/4 in. Adj., Matte (8497)

There's a picture on here that show rings that were apparently made for the scope to go on an AR-15. But high or extra high is typical, since on most bolt actions the receiver is much higher than the barrel to begin with.

Austin

VIP Member
    So you are going to remove the carry handle? The M400 looks very low ( the upper). My other suggestion is to Visit Midwest Industries in Waukesha. They have a whole shelf full of mounts and rings. they would probably set you right up.
    Midwest Industries:

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    is the p-223 3-9x40 a 1"?

it's good to hear a riser isn't needed
    Yes, your scope is a 1 inch scope. What I'm telling you is that when you buy your rings make sure you get 1 inch rings because they make rings in 30mm as well.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

So you are going to remove the carry handle? The M400 looks very low ( the upper). My other suggestion is to Visit Midwest Industries in Waukesha. They have a whole shelf full of mounts and rings. they would probably set you right up.
    Midwest Industries:
    no handle on it

My other suggestion is to Visit Midwest Industries in Waukesha. They have a whole shelf full of mounts and rings. they would probably set you right up.
    Midwest Industries:
    wow! i never knew that place existed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links