Help with mounting my new scope so I can keep front iron sight on

This is a discussion on Help with mounting my new scope so I can keep front iron sight on within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by AdBro wow! i never knew that place existed take your rifle there I believe they are open till 6PM. You will walk ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Help with mounting my new scope so I can keep front iron sight on

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    wow! i never knew that place existed
    take your rifle there I believe they are open till 6PM. You will walk out with your complete set up!. and maybe a lighter wallet

2. Remove Ads

As stated, you don't need a riser or anything else. You won't even really notice the front sight post when you look through the scope.

If you start adding risers and stuff there will be multiple issues. You won't be able to get a good consistent cheek weld. Also, the higher the scope is, the more of an offset you need for closer in shots. If the center your scope is several inches above the bore, then your zero is going to be all wonky.

As for the 2 rings vs 1 piece mount, both have their benefits, provided they are made by a quality manufacturer.

It is possible to mess a scope up with either if installed incorrectly.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    As stated, you don't need a riser or anything else. You won't even really notice the front sight post when you look through the scope.

If you start adding risers and stuff there will be multiple issues. You won't be able to get a good consistent cheek weld. Also, the higher the scope is, the more of an offset you need for closer in shots. If the center your scope is several inches above the bore, then your zero is going to be all wonky.

As for the 2 rings vs 1 piece mount, both have their benefits, provided they are made by a quality manufacturer.

It is possible to mess a scope up with either if installed incorrectly.
    just installed it. don't see the front sight at all. crazy because it's RIGHT in front of it!

Help with mounting my new scope so I can keep front iron sight on

just installed it. don't see the front sight at all. crazy because it's RIGHT in front of it!
    Yep. Just like Austin tried to tell you. Once you get past 1.5x-2x magnification the from sight disappears.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Another option is a riser. I know you don't want too many "moving" parts, but mounted correctly, the riser won't move at all. Some are high enough to be able to see through the channel and use your irons without removing your optics. Here's a link to several: https://www.google.com/search?q=ar15...ient=firefox-a. I recently went through this exercise with my Sig. I have a red dot mounted on mine and decided to chuck the riser because it wasn't high enough to use both sets of sights. Now I just cowitnessed my red dot to my irons and it's all good. If I ever chose a scope, I'd still have to decide irons or glass.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Just posted this in another thread but since more people are in this one I'll paste it here for help:

So I just got a Nikon P-223 BDC 600 for my rifle.

Two questions:

1) one dial adjusts magnification. What is the "eye piece adjustment" closest to the eye adjusting? is it focusing the reticle or focusing what i'm seeing thru the scope (i have only looked thru it in my living room so far)?

2) Nikon suggests you go to Nikon Spot On&#153 Ballistic Match Technology Program to see what distance each circle on the reticle means for a specified ammo. when i change the magnification between 3-9, the circles show different distances. i guess i didn't know the distance hashes/circles meant different distances once you change the zoom. seems like that's a TON of information to know when you're out in the field using the scope. is this correct?

thanks

VIP Member
    1) It is called a fast focus eyepiece. You need to get outside to focus the scope. There will be instructions on how Nikon expects you to do this in the box.

2) The best way to measure drop is to shoot your own rifle at the distances you want to know. I shoot my hunting rifles out to 300 yds and measure the drop from my point of aim to the impact with a ruler. It's just that simple.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

According the this link AR15 zeroing in at 50 yards is the most optimal up to 200 yards...
    AR15 Zero: Introduction - YouTube
    atctimmy likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I'm looking at a similar setup... P-223 3-9x40 with the single-piece M-223 mount on a Sig M400 Enhanced with a fixed front sight. I'm hesitant to pull the trigger because I figured the sight would interfere, but then I found your post. I wanted to know if you've used the BDC, and does the sight interfere with this (since the circles and hash marks are on the lower limb of the cross hairs)? Thanks in advance!

FS

Quote Originally Posted by BUmmedic View Post
    I'm looking at a similar setup... P-223 3-9x40 with the single-piece M-223 mount on a Sig M400 Enhanced with a fixed front sight. I'm hesitant to pull the trigger because I figured the sight would interfere, but then I found your post. I wanted to know if you've used the BDC, and does the sight interfere with this (since the circles and hash marks are on the lower limb of the cross hairs)? Thanks in advance!

FS
    Adbro is no longer a member of this Forum, but your set-up should be fine.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Thanks!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links