Cetme's

This is a discussion on Cetme's within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anybody have one? How do you like it? The reason I ask is because they seem to have only increased a little since the gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Cetme's

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

Cetme's

Anybody have one? How do you like it? The reason I ask is because they seem to have only increased a little since the gun grab scare as opposed to AR's and AK's.

2. Remove Ads

I have one... great rifle .308.

I have a PTR-91 - great rifle. I think the CETME is a poorer quality version. There's some boring history behind it.

Austin

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I have a PTR-91 - great rifle. I think the CETME is a poorer quality version. There's some boring history behind it.

Austin

^This is what I have read as well^^^^^^^

Not that you couldn't get a good one, its just that the likelyhood is there you will have some troubles, compared to a PTR, or ideally a FAL.
    A friend of mine has an original HK from the '80's he will never part with.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    OK guys. I have been really interested in one or the other. Can you all dish out some more facts?

What about mags? How is the trigger? Can they accept an optic? Groups? And I'd like some of the history too please.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    CETME's are the original design of the G-3/HK91 series of rifles.

I have owned one for years with HK internals and have no issues with them at all. Mags are dirt cheap $5.00 and generally accuracy is on par with other 7.62 battle rifles. You can mount an optic via a claw mount which works well. They are not picky on ammo but if you reload they sling the brass 30 feet or more by design.
    atctimmy likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    OK guys. I have been really interested in one or the other. Can you all dish out some more facts?

What about mags? How is the trigger? Can they accept an optic? Groups? And I'd like some of the history too please.
    What one or the other? A PTR-91 or a CETME? or a PTR-91 or an FAL?

G3/PTR-91 mags are/were dirt cheap. <$5 a piece brand new, seen them for $1 each used in good condition. Older guys could probably tell you stories about butterfly nets and cases of them - I wasn't around for that. They insert straight up like an AR. Releases vary depending on the model - some are a button like an AR, and some are a lever like M1A/AK type. The PTR-91s have very nice barrels and MOA is not uncommon with proper ammo selection. The trigger is nothing special, but not terrible. Lots of different types of mounts available - I haven't put one on mine yet, but I plan on getting one from hkparts.net when I do. They are a roller delayed blowback action. The G3 was the select fire rifle chosen by Germany when NATO standardized on the 7.62mm. The U.S. chose the M14, and everyone else chose the FAL. The H&K civilian version was the HK-91 - which can't be imported anymore, and are $3k+ these days. PTR bought the tooling from H&K, and they use better barrels. They are solid rifles.

Don't know much about the CETME - google does though! I read it a while back, then brain dumped it. The summary I have retained is: I don't want one, and won't buy one. They are similar in function and appearance to the G3/HK-91/PTR-91, but they are Spanish in origin and not as strong/reliable/good/etc..

FALs are superior. The best! Mags are/were about $20. They rock into place like an M1A/AK mag. Mag release similar to M1A/AK but better. Left side charging handle, right side ejection. Best ergonomics, least recoil. An absolute joy to own and shoot. Not as accurate (by reputation) as the PTR-91s - I haven't done any accuracy testing with either my FAL or my PTR-91, but I have no problem hitting 2 liter bottles at ~200 yards. It's a hoot. My trigger is probably 6 pounds - it's fine. It's better than a normal AR trigger, but it's no bolt action either. The FAL top cover where an optic is typically mounted - there are a variety of mounts available through DSA, A.R.M.S., and LTR. I'm deciding between an Aimpoint T-1 and a Trijicon 1-4 for mine. It's really nice with irons as is though. I put an Israeli handguard on mine. It's the "Right Arm of the Free World".

Austin
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    I don't know why but I've always wanted a CETME. If someone around here had one at a good price I'd jump at it. But, I've never wanted one badly enough to go out of my way to get one. I'd need professional psychological help to understand myself sometimes.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    Thanks guys. I'm now in the PTR-91 market. : )
    aus71383 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Looks like the SAR 8 and PTR-91 are almost triple the price of a CETME. I read some reviews on CETME's and most seem to require some "tuning" which usually involve replacing a ground bolt and other headspacing issues. Still $600 compared to $1500 - $2000 seams like a good value.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    Looks like the SAR 8 and PTR-91 are almost triple the price of a CETME. I read some reviews on CETME's and most seem to require some "tuning" which usually involve replacing a ground bolt and other headspacing issues. Still $600 compared to $1500 - $2000 seams like a good value.
    Ernie, CDNN had PTR-91 rifles for sale the week before Sandy Hook for $940 (IIRC). The still have them listed at $1200. I'm quite sure CETMEs have gone up too.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Ernie, CDNN had PTR-91 rifles for sale the week before Sandy Hook for $940 (IIRC). The still have them listed at $1200. I'm quite sure CETMEs have gone up too.
    PTR 91 KFM4 H&K HK 91 308 M4 : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

CETME .308 Rifle similar to H&K G3 new without box : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

Took the highest price of the 2 rifles from gunbroker.

PTR-91 $2699

Cetme - $905

I've had Cetme & HK-91 variants before I bought & shot my first FN FAL. I no longer have any of the first, I now have three of the last. There are multi-MILLIONS of FAL rifles still cached around the world. There are warehouses full of NIB mags. IMHO, they are the Toyota HiLux of the available battle rifles.

Buying an "assault rifle" just to make sure you have one? It's a jump ball. Buying a full-size battle rifle for the unforeseen future? it's an FAL for me.
    aus71383, oneshot and atctimmy like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

This is the one to get IMO - PTR-91F NEW-IN-BOX PTR-91 Rifle, +5 Extra MAGS : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

You want an 18" barrel, and don't pay extra for adjustable stock/fancy rail thingy. This is what I have (more or less) and I think I paid $1100 in spring 2008 for it.

Austin
    atctimmy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links