Biometric safes.

This is a discussion on Biometric safes. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has anyone had any experience with these safes? I would like to have something that my girlfriend can have quick access to yet keep the ...

Thread: Biometric safes.

Biometric safes.

Has anyone had any experience with these safes? I would like to have something that my girlfriend can have quick access to yet keep the little fingers out.

Thanks
    “Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln

2. Remove Ads

Never tried one. I like the mechanical type locks because there's no battery to die at the wrong moment. There are quite a few options available for the biometrics though.

Austin

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My opinion? Electronics always fail when you need them most.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

While I have no personal experience with one of the biometric safes, I have read about a lot of "false" reads that caused undue delays in opeinig the safes.

Perhaps they have improved to the point that this no longer occurs.

Try using the search feature to get some older information here on DC.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

If you get one, bolt it down. Small electronic locks use magnets in the locking mechanism. It can be dropped from about 5 inches high and the jarring will release the magnets and the door will be unlocked. After I read about it and saw it on youtube, I tried it on mine....and BAM, it opened.

Unfortunatey, if it is bolted down anyone who knows this can whack it right above the latch with a hammer and also release the magnetic lock.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

It's primarily to keep kids out fellars. Bolt it down to the night stand and you'll be good to go. If you are worried about robbers use an actual safe. I only keep my carry gun (when I'm home in bed), a loaded AR magazine, pepper spray, pocket knife and odds and ends in it. If it gets stolen....I'll only lose and AR Mag and some cheap, easily replaceable items.

In that it excels but I really recommend buying a button operated version WITH and A/C adapter.

Here's what I have, and it rocks.

http://www.gunvault.com/multivault-gv2000d.html

Do some shopping around I think I got mine for under $100 shipped.

If you decide against an electronic locking safe - here's a nice alternative with a mechanical push button lock. FAS1 SAFE, LLC

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    I prefer lockboxes with simplex locks for home defense guns, like this one. Quick, work in the dark, keep kids out, no batteries to fail or electronics to get confused by your prints. The FAS1 is nice too, but it wouldn't work where I like to keep mine.

For electronic locks - "biometric" or otherwise, one could always change the batteries every daylight savings switch like we already (should) do with our smoke detectors.

In going that route, I would look for something that doesn't beep. My stack-on electronic combination "safe" beeps louder than a bulldozer in reverse with every button. And you can't turn off the beeps.

"ATTENTION INTRUDER - THE BEEPING YOU HEAR IS THE HOMEOWNER OPENING HIS GUN SAFE TO GET HIS GUN. ALERT ALERT ALERT."

The purpose of a safe is to keep little fingers out yet allow desperate, shaking, sweating, panicing big fingers in while the bad guy is coming up the stairs. I sugest having her try the safe in a store with damp fingers twiching as she continually looks over her sholders and imagins her babies in harms way. If it repeatedly works then parhaps thats the one. I prefer a small one gun with a key that is on me key ring, It goes in the lock when I come home and in my pocket when I leave (car key on the ring).

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatguyjeff View Post
    For electronic locks - "biometric" or otherwise, one could always change the batteries every daylight savings switch like we already (should) do with our smoke detectors.

In going that route, I would look for something that doesn't beep. My stack-on electronic combination "safe" beeps louder than a bulldozer in reverse with every button. And you can't turn off the beeps.

"ATTENTION INTRUDER - THE BEEPING YOU HEAR IS THE HOMEOWNER OPENING HIS GUN SAFE TO GET HIS GUN. ALERT ALERT ALERT."
    Which Stack-on do you have? All of them I've seen have a code you can input to silence the key beep.

Links