Was Asked my Opinion Today

This is a discussion on Was Asked my Opinion Today within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been very quiet at work on guns for a while, not to mention I was gone for a while until today. This morning, an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Was Asked my Opinion Today

I've been very quiet at work on guns for a while, not to mention I was gone for a while until today. This morning, an acquaintance at work that I have spoken with occasionally approached me on the subject of guns. He said he had overheard me and some of the other guys talking about going to the range and it had inspired him to dig his handgun out and go to the range over Christmas.

He went on to say, "I want to ask you a question because I value your opinion. I'm also very interested in your response because I'm sure you've been asked this already. With all of the talk about assault weapons, why does anyone need a rifle like that?"

My response (in a very calm and professional manner):

"Why does anyone need alcohol? Cigarettes? Or a car that will go 100 miles per hour? Any of those things kill way more people each year than so called assault weapons, yet most anyone would argue it is a right. Should the government ban auto makers from manufacturing a car capable of exceeding the highest posted speed limit in the US? I mean, it's illegal to go over that, so why do they do it? If you enjoy alcohol responsibly, does that make you guilty because someone else can't? No. No more than one crazy person with a gun makes responsible gun owners guilty for what they chose to do. Punishing the innocent will not deter the ones intent on becoming the guilty.

Now for an answer that isn't another question. Would you agree that most people calling for a ban of these weapons would argue that only military and police need them? (He replied "Yes."). So, we can establish then that you, or whomever would be making such an argument, affirm the police do indeed need them (he replied "Yes.") OK. Who do the police deal with day in and day out that they need these weapons? The general public...the same general public that we deal with day in and day out. They're not out there in foreign lands fighting armies, they need them to deal with the general public. Why is it they need them to deal with the same people that we don't? (He had no answer.)

He then said, "How many times have people had to contend with large scale lawlessness?" I said, "Do you remember the riots after the Rodney King incident? Communities were abandoned by the police and left to fend for themselves against armed mobs. How about the chaos after Katrina? There may not be many, if any, times in a person's life when they need a gun but when that rare time comes nothing else will suffice."

In the end, he said, "You make some very good points and you articulate them well. Now I know how to respond when someone asks me the same question."
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Did you high-five? Man hug, maybe?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Did you high-five? Man hug, maybe?
    I paid for his coffee and shook his hand. Perhaps I need to buy him an NRA membership.
    archer51, Regoria75 and atctimmy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I paid for his coffee and shook his hand. Perhaps I need to buy him an NRA membership.
    Nice. I used your last post to coworkers almost word for word at my work last week. Keep 'em coming... you can be our movement's Thomas Paine.
    Regoria75 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Outstanding post. Thank you for sharing.
    Rob
    -----------
    Play in the heavens baby girl. For we will again one day see you.
    Gracie Rae P Nov 16,2004 - Sept 2,2012
    Forever daddy's girl!
    -----------

Great job articulating some very sound reasoning to a difficult question that's undoubtedly going to be around for a long time...my hats off to ya sir.. And thanks for doing your part to make us look as good as possible during these ugly times.. A lot of folks might just answer "cause it's my right" and while that's true, it fails to answer the question, does the (right person own such a deadly weapon). I say that knowing that any weapon is a deadly weapon, but one that has the ability to fire three times the amount of ammo is surly more formidable than a lessor one. So, again thanks for your ability to curb someone's angst regarding the assualt weapon and its use. GBK
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I like your response but am going to through out a rebuttal that I would expect from an anti gun person if I told them what you said.

While I agree that these things kill more people than assault weapons do, I don't know of any cases where one person intentionally grabbed a cigarette and killed 20 kids in a matter of minutes. It is possible that a drunk person driving a car at 100 MPH could cause an accident killing 20 or more people at one time I don't recall any cases where this was someones weapon of choice to intentionally kill multiple people.

I am not trying to counter your response I am just searching for the most effective argument in support of our rights which will work with the majority of people. While I understand your points I am not sure that the majority of non gun people would be convinced by your statement. I tend to use something about the right to self defense which most people agree with then say something about who am I to say what someone else needs to defend their life and property. I may not need an assault rifle to defend my home but someone on a ranch in Texas who is many miles from help could very well need one.
    mulle46 likes this.

BugDude, that's the 2nd most excellent response that you've told us about, within the last month.

Do you mind if I use it?
    Brad426 likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sound reasoning!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    BugDude, that's the 2nd most excellent response that you've told us about, within the last month.

Do you mind if I use it?
    Feel most free my friend.
    atctimmy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducmonster View Post
    I like your response but am going to through out a rebuttal that I would expect from an anti gun person if I told them what you said.

While I agree that these things kill more people than assault weapons do, I don't know of any cases where one person intentionally grabbed a cigarette and killed 20 kids in a matter of minutes. It is possible that a drunk person driving a car at 100 MPH could cause an accident killing 20 or more people at one time I don't recall any cases where this was someones weapon of choice to intentionally kill multiple people.

I am not trying to counter your response I am just searching for the most effective argument in support of our rights which will work with the majority of people. While I understand your points I am not sure that the majority of non gun people would be convinced by your statement. I tend to use something about the right to self defense which most people agree with then say something about who am I to say what someone else needs to defend their life and property. I may not need an assault rifle to defend my home but someone on a ranch in Texas who is many miles from help could very well need one.
    An anti-gun person will not be convinced by any statement. There is no perfect response, no end all be all definitive proclamation that will turn an anti.

The reality is every 6 weeks the same number of kids die at the hands of drunk drivers as did in CT. Does the fact that they died over a 6 week period make them any less dead than the ones that died within 10 minutes of each other? No. In fact, the same number die every 6 weeks, week after week, year after year. That consistency over time is far more concerning than a one-time event. That's like 9 Sandy Hook events every year. Now does the fact that these drunk drivers intentionally got drunk and then knowingly got behind the wheel of a car knowing it is illegal, dangerous, and deadly any less intentional? Not in my mind. With intention, they got drunk (no one "accidentally" gets drunk) and with intention they drove. Conscious decisions with known deadly potential.

One popular comeback for the antis is "But a gun is designed to kill" to which I reply "And alcohol is designed to get people drunk."
    pittypat21 and atctimmy like this.

Re: Was Asked my Opinion Today

Bug,

I like your level headed response to your co-workers question. If only you'd have converted an anti.

I do agree, we are hard pressed to turn those so entrenched in emotional thought that they cannot understand reason.

It can be done, but requires much time, patience, and gentle perseverence.

Thanks, we need more of this calm, professional, reasonable thought disseminated.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Lovely, concise, and logical, BugDude. I agree that nothing will convince the "anti," however, it's so important to articulate this to others that may be "on the fence" or think their "hunting guns" and rights aren't in jeopardy. I'm so glad you were able to give great information, that your co-worker was so receptive, and he in turn can share it with others. Pay it forward, man!
    EDC--XD9 Service and/or XDs-45 depending on my mood
    Soon-to-be new mama to a S&W 66-2 4"

Bug - Thank you for the post and I'll keep it in mind if I encounter someone with the same type questions. Like most of us, I have found that the least educated a person is about firearms the more anti-gun they are. Your response is a good way to take out the emotion connected with this subject and present some common sense. And emotion is what the antis run on.
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I like your post and read a similar article ablut why a few days ago.. Your analogy is very well thought out,,,Why Americans Need the AR-15 "Assault Rifle" | The Truth About Guns
    I also added to my non-carrying friends that have a lone gun that neatly tucked away for years in a box or closet that he is owns an assault weapon (9mm hand gun with high cap mag) and how he was going to feel when made to pay a 200.00 tax and get fingerprinted to keep his gun. His reply was safety has to start somewhere... some people are hopelessly in love with Obama so I brought out more facts that other countries (switzerland) that have more guns and less death than countries with no guns like New england and asked him how he can explain for that fact... It all boils down family values
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links