Question about scopes. Never mounted, zeroed one before.

This is a discussion on Question about scopes. Never mounted, zeroed one before. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I just got a Nikon P-223 BDC 600 for my rifle. Two questions: 1) one dial adjusts magnification. What is the "eye piece adjustment" ...

Thread: Question about scopes. Never mounted, zeroed one before.

So I just got a Nikon P-223 BDC 600 for my rifle.

Two questions:

1) one dial adjusts magnification. What is the "eye piece adjustment" closest to the eye adjusting? is it focusing the reticle or focusing what i'm seeing thru the scope (i have only looked thru it in my living room so far)?

2) Nikon suggests you go to Nikon Spot On&#153 Ballistic Match Technology Program to see what distance each circle on the reticle means for a specified ammo. when i change the magnification between 3-9, the circles show different distances. i guess i didn't know the distance hashes/circles meant different distances once you change the zoom. seems like that's a TON of information to know when you're out in the field using the scope. is this correct?

thanks

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That's why I like fixed power scopes for most applications. Just too simple.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The eye piece is focusing the reticle. The accuracy of the circles combined with your load preference doesn't mean squat if you don't know how to accurately estimate the range to the target. If you're not going to shoot past 200 yds, I probably wouldn't bother with any of it - just zero it at 200 and remember it'll be about 1" high at 100 yds and see what circle correlates to shorter distances. If you want to tinker or shoot farther, I'd probably print out a table for one or two power settings and tape it to your stock.

To get you zeroed quicker:
    1) get it bore sighted
    2) fire one shot at target at 25 yds
    3) adjust scope to move point of impact (POI) to 2-3" low and perfectly centered. Remember at 25 yds, it's 16 clicks to move POI 1". Yes, it's a lot of clicks.
    4) fire confirmation shot that you moved POI to where you want
    5) move target to 100 yds - you should be within about 4" of center. At 100 yds 4 clicks to 1".

Links