Rock Island .45

This is a discussion on Rock Island .45 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone have any reviews good, bad or otherwise of the Rock Island 1911 .45? I have found one for around 400 dollars and I am ...

Thread: Rock Island .45

Rock Island .45

Anyone have any reviews good, bad or otherwise of the Rock Island 1911 .45? I have found one for around 400 dollars and I am looking for input. Thanks all!

2. Remove Ads

I think that is "Rock Island .45"

Why yes it is.... Got to love posting on an IPhone.

NMB
    Solid pistol, never had any issues with my GI model. Not made in the USA but if you have to have a 1911 on a budget, they are tough to beat.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

One member on here I know owns one and told me he would deffinetly reccomend it.

I was looking at these two brands for budget guns

Rock Island .45
    Uremax Regent R100 .45

Both have interchangable parts from what I found but I loved the finish of the R100 (All black)

The only things I could see to distinguish them apart was that the finish was better on the R100 other then that both real good guns from what I was told.

Have yet to fire mine yet and plan to put several rounds through it with a few changed (originally planned a hammer swap and trigger swap also going to swap the slide release/stopper)

Got a full size Tactical version a few months ago. Runs excellent. Has some rough edges and not as refined as my Kimber but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. My buddy who shot it, a 1911 guy, was impressed with the budget 1911.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Like all makes and models, you find both good and bad reviews. Most issues are easily resolved. In general, RI has a decent rep.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Administrator
    The price is right on them. They are made in the Philippines - you are probably already aware of that.

They are not a Colt but, they are not Colt priced either.

They do have an investment cast frame as VS a forged frame which is not typically a problem.
    The slide is (I believe) an extruded forging so that is good.
    They do contain some MIM (Metal Injected Molded) parts...if that is an issue with you.
    Those MIM parts would be: slide stop ~ plunger tube ~ sear ~ disconnector ~ & the ejector.
    The extractor is NOT MIM so that is also good.

If you do buy one I would (for sure) pop in an aftermarket high quality slide stop...like one by Ed Brown.

The other MIM parts do not seem to be problematic in the Rock Island.

The general consensus is that the folks that own them are pleased with them.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I had no idea of that QKS, Kinda glad I went with the R100 now. lol

This is what sold me on the R100 (If you can see one also it might be a bit more but I love the finish

The R100 is a rendition of the M1911A1 that is visually faithful to the original design. It has a spur hammer, M1911A1-style grip safety, and arched mainspring housing. Offered in .45 ACP only, the R100 has a matte-black finish and comes standard with Hogue® rubber grips. The slide is manufactured from CNC machined bar stock with a low-cut ejection port, the frame is steel investment cast, and the barrel is hammer forged stainless steel—all manufactured to ISO 9001 and NATO AQAP 120 quality standards.
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If I had to flip a coin, I'd take the M1911 over the M1911A1. Just a personal preference in how they feel.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links