Historical question--snake gun in 1965

This is a discussion on Historical question--snake gun in 1965 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm writing a murder mystery located in North Florida. My protagonist's father, a major rancher and limerock mine operator, accidentally shot himself while cleaning his ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skipperhammond

Thread: Historical question--snake gun in 1965

New Member Array Skipperhammond's Avatar

I'm writing a murder mystery located in North Florida. My protagonist's father, a major rancher and limerock mine operator, accidentally shot himself while cleaning his snake gun. Mister Cedric needs something small and easy to carry while hunting, overseeing mine operations, riding, and fishing on the Suwannee River, and I liked the Taurus Judge's ability to use both cartridges and shot. But the accident happened back in 1965 and The Judge had not been introduced then.
    Can you give Mister Cedric any recommendations on what he should have been carrying?
    Thanks for your help, Skipper
    aus71383 likes this.

How about a derringer, one of those without a trigger guard. Just a thought

VIP Member
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Most ranchers and farmers I know would have carried a small, single shot .410 shot gun. They were made by Harrington & Richards IIRC, more commonly known as H&R shotguns.

A second viable option (if it must be a pistol) would be a 38spl or 357 mag revolver using shot rounds. One of the old S&W model 10 revolvers using shotshell ammo would be quite common back then, or so i would think.

Cabela's: CCI Pistol Shotshell Ammunition
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    .22 snakeshot existed then. I used to carry a couple of rounds of it in a .22 revolver when hunting in GA, but eventually I figured out it was faster and safer to jump back out of striking distance than to draw and shoot. And a poke with a stick will send any snake on its way.

So if Mr. Cedric isn't opposed to carrying a .22 handgun for that purpose.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Lead Moderator
    In 1966-67 I used a "Saturday Night Special" (i.e., cheap) .22LR cal pistol and .22 rounds loaded with bird shot as a snake gun when working on our reptile populated Demo Range in Arkansas. A lot of the other unit members did also and had been in the unit in '65 and before. No one I knew there used a "good" gun because the bird shot wasn't considered good for the barrel.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    How about an antique Lemat revolver?
    LeMat Revolver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreddy View Post
    How about an antique Lemat revolver?
    LeMat Revolver - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    LOL. We're talking 1965, not 1865.

That was the year I was born. My granddaddy carried a .22 rifle and/or a .38 snubby when he was in the swamp. 'Snake gun' does not necessitate scatter-shot.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    LOL. We're talking 1965, not 1865.

That was the year I was born. My granddaddy carried a .22 rifle and/or a .38 snubby when he was in the swamp. 'Snake gun' does not necessitate scatter-shot.
    That was why I said "antique". You could create a back story to why he carried something out of the ordinary. It was his grandad's and used in the Civil War for instance.

For an interesting story line, pick one of these...Smith & Wesson Antique Revolvers For Sale
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    The good old S&W Model 49 - the humpbacked .38 BODYGUARD loaded with a couple of .38 shot shells for snakes.

This was a classic S&W wheel gun that folks would just pop into a pocket without using a pocket holster and it was designed with that hump backed hammer shroud (covering the hammer) so that the hammer would not catch snag on the pocket when drawing the handgun from the pocket.

Unfortunately the snake shot loads were not very powerful (since they were loaded with bird-shot) and it would be very unlikely that he could have killed himself with one of those anemic .38 shotshells. Blinded himself possibly.

So he could have done what some folks still do when packing a handgun out in snake country.

That would be to set his revolver chambers up so that the first two rounds to be fired would be the shot shells (in case surprised by a poisonous snake) and the remaining 3 rounds being regular .38 SPECIAL cartridges in case he met up with the 2 legged variety of snake (also known as a very bad person)

Here (below) you can see a S&W Model Number 49 - Very Top Far Right - There is also an AirWeight Bodyguard but, I don't know of too many folks that carried the AirWeight version back then.

BTW: These are 1964 S&W Catalog prices so you're safe on your desired 1965 available handgun.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    A Hibbard .410 model W.H. single-shot pistol might fit the bill.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    My father-in-law has for many years carried a .410 shotgun with a pistol grip in a scabbard which he calls his "snake charmer". He lives in the hills of eastern KY which is full of rattlesnakes. He always carries it when he works in his garden or the yard and when he takes walks in the woods. He has used it to kill a fair number of rattlesnakes.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Links