Defensive Carry banner

The search begins

875 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Cook74 
#1 ·
I,m heading to the range to begin my CCW choices what things do I need to keep in mind while testing each firearm btw safety will be top priority.

#2 ·
Depends on what you're looking for. Have a short list of what you think you would like in a CCW (caliber, size, double/single stack, etc.). Try a couple that you think you'd like, and be open to suggestions from the counter person. I bought my first CC pistol with little experience, and without trying it out first (a Sig P238 in .380). Ended up disliking it (personal reasons, although it was a great gun). After renting several different pistols, I discovered the XD9 and XD-s were surprisingly perfect for me (never thought I'd be a "tupperware" gun kinda gal!).

After my own misadventures the first time around, I will always recommend testing before you buy. Sounds like you're already going about your search in a wise way.

#4 ·
Glock, Kahr, and M&Ps all have fine reputations. Probably a good idea to look at an example of each. XD-s in 9mm probably's not gonna be out in the wild until Spring/Summer at the earliest, the Shield's availability's gonna be slim for awhile as well. But something midsize like the G19 and M&P's (and the XD9 ;)) are all popular for "dual-duty" home and carry pistol (big enough for home, concealable for many). Be sure to check out holsters while you're there as well. Some shops will let you "try on" to see how they'll work for you.

#6 ·
Looks like you have a good short, they all make fine guns. You are on the right track trying them out first. You may find one or two that feels a little weird on hand at first when you shoot it. Take it and give it a few more rounds, you may find out you like that weird feel. Best of luck and im sure you will make a good decision.

#9 ·
I'll second the CZ. I rented one and really liked it a lot. But I ended up with an XDMc 9mm. I like 9mm for its mostly easy availability and it is less expensive then the other similar calibers when plinking and learning the guns I own. I also like to stay with fewer ammo requirements. So my decision to stick with 38 special and 9mm focused me to look at those guns that take that ammo. I carry a 642 or the 442 currently but when I OC, its the XDMc. So take that into consideration. I rented every 9mm I could find and found the Springfields and CZ's at the top of the list in 9mm. The S&W J frames in 38 special (wife loves J frames as well and shoots 38 special reloads with lower recoil)...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.