Another Gun Debate at work

This is a discussion on Another Gun Debate at work within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There's a particular gentleman at work who likes to make snide comments about guns, and then look at me and say, "Isn't that right BugDude ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Another Gun Debate at work

Another Gun Debate at work

There's a particular gentleman at work who likes to make snide comments about guns, and then look at me and say, "Isn't that right BugDude (except he uses my actual name)." He especially likes to do this in front of small groups of people. He hasn't done it since the CT incident, UNTIL TODAY.

There was a local paper on the table that had a large headline about a proposed local Gun Buyback Program. He said, "Guns are way too easy to get, right BugDude? Nobody needs so many guns. Nobody needs guns that hold 20 or 30 bullets. How many of those do you have?"

Well, understand that this particular gentleman likes to make a big to do about his love of fine wines and other assorted spirits as well as flaunt his monetary accomplishments. So with a small crowd looking at me, I replied, "I wouldn't expect you to tell everyone how much money is in your safe any more than you realistically expect me to tell how many guns are in mine."

This started some debate about background checks, buying limits, magazine capacity, etc. To which I replied, "Mr. X, you make no secret about your appreciation for fine wine and other distilled spirits correct? (he replied he did partake of them yes). According to the CDC, alcohol kills more people per year than guns. So, I propose we push for Alcohol Control laws. First, everyone should have to pass a background check to be able to buy alcohol. Any prior alcohol convictions and you're out. And hefty penalties for illegal straw purchases. You should also have to buy a permit to buy and transport your alcohol and we should increase taxes on it to pay for all of the healthcare/property/and lives lost costs. Next, lets pass a '1 beer per month' law. Yep, no one needs more than one drink per month. And since cases of beer and bottles of wine and liquor are high capacity magazines lets ban them as well and only sell airplane bottles. I mean, alcohol is designed to intoxicate, so we need to pass laws to protect people from themselves and others by limiting the capacity. Now do all of you who responsibly consume alcohol think it is right to limit your right, ability, access, and freedom to be respnsible consumers of alcohol because a small percentage dont? Is impacting your rights going to stop the irresponsible drinkers? No. Only those who obey the laws. Hey, it doesn't impact me because I don't drink, but I will still fight for your right to be a responsible free adult. Same with firearms. Limiting the rights of the innocent will not deter the actions of those who are intent on being the guilty."

I literally received applause from the other 5 people sitting in the cafeteria...and he stood there looking like I just farted on his $1800 Armani suit.

It was just after this that I bought my new Springfield XDm-9 4.5 today. Nothing like a good celebration.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

Great argument, but watch your back! There may well be a knife sticking out of it in the near future.

People in $1800 Armani suits usually don't like being made to look like a fool.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Great argument, but watch your back! There may well be a knife sticking out of it in the near future.

People in $1800 Armani suits usually don't like being made to look like a fool.
    Good point, but as they say in the hills I grew up in, "I ain't skeered." He made himself look like a fool by poking the redneck with a stick and asking for my response...and he got it. That falls under the "be careful what you ask for" rule.

When the opportunity presents itself, you might also add that he has no Constitutionally-affirmed right to alcohol.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    When the opportunity presents itself, you might also add that he has no Constitutionally-affirmed right to alcohol.
    Slam!

I would not have done as well as you did. People like that can get me sideways pretty quick.

I'd have probably ask him if he really thought he needed that many teeth in his smart assed mouth.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Kind of my thoughts too.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I would not have done as well as you did. People like that can get me sideways pretty quick.

I'd have probably ask him if he really thought he needed that many teeth in his smart assed mouth.
    I like you Gman!!!!!!!!!! That's what the hillbilly in my was thinking, and wanted to say, but being as I'm in an executive leadership position at work (and most of these people are professionals that bring business to our establishment) I have to often choke down my inner redneck and respond in a very calm, rational, and professional manner (even when they don't). But I'm with you.

When I'm aggravating my old lady, she looks at me with that look and says "Don't rub the lamp if you don't want the Genie to come out." Well, I've had a few of them get real darn close to having my "Genie" come out. I've only been here a year, so it's only a matter of time.
    Last edited by BugDude; January 4th, 2013 at 10:50 PM. Reason: added info
    glockman10mm, Jaybm and archer51 like this.

BugDude, you are without doubt, the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    BugDude, you are without doubt, the man.
    LOL. Only when my old lady's not around.

She thinks I'm just a 4x4 truck driving redneck tye-dye wearing hippy wannabe who spends entirely too much time and money on guns, golf, and funny little Volkswagen clown cars. And when I'm not doing that I'm sleeping in my lazyboy recliner "watching" Velocity, Speed channel, or golf while I sleep. Not that there's anything wrong with any of that. I apologized for not liking to watch HGTV (does that make me sensitive?)

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Kind of my thoughts too.
    +1
    I think it's our generation.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Re: Another Gun Debate at work

Well done sir! Im gonna have to remember that one.

Typos courtesy of Tapatalk

Gman, thats Hilarious! I would have certainly thought something very similar and my dumb a$$ would have probably said it!

BugMan, amazing response I know that I couldn't have put all those thoughts in to words on the fly! Wow!

VIP Member
    I apologized for not liking to watch HGTV (does that make me sensitive?)
    Man do I hate that channel.....Too bad my wife loves it.
    Sly and BugDude like this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    LOL. Only when my old lady's not around.

She thinks I'm just a 4x4 truck driving redneck tye-dye wearing hippy wannabe who spends entirely too much time and money on guns, golf, and funny little Volkswagen clown cars. And when I'm not doing that I'm sleeping in my lazyboy recliner "watching" Velocity, Speed channel, or golf while I sleep. Not that there's anything wrong with any of that. I apologized for not liking to watch HGTV (does that make me sensitive?)
    The fact that you are a heavily armed redneck hippy probably made the rebuke sting way more for Mr. Armani.
    BugDude likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links