Date night at the range

Date night at the range

This is a discussion on Date night at the range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Finally got some time tonight to take my wife to the range. She's a first time shooter. We had two goals for our trip: shoot ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By bdbull
  • 1 Post By gottabkiddin

Thread: Date night at the range

Date night at the range

Finally got some time tonight to take my wife to the range. She's a first time shooter. We had two goals for our trip: shoot my new XD9, and shoot as many rentals as we can to see what she likes. We shot six boxes of ammo through a variety of guns: XD9, XD9sc, Glock 19, Walther PPS, Beretta Nano, Khar CW9. She said she liked the feel of the double stack guns over the single stacks. However, of the singles, the PPS felt the best. She said most of the smaller guns felt like they were going to jump out of her hand. I felt the same with them as I have much larger hands then she does. She really liked the feel of the XD9sc and was able to handle it well. I wanted to shoot the M&P9c, but it was out on the range and didn't come back before we left.

Our next trip will just be more exploring and maybe eliminating single stacks completely. Although I hate to do that because of the concealability of them. I feel like we got something accomplished and she said she had a great time. It was a great date.
    darbo likes this.

Congrats to you both.. It's always good to hear about spouses getting to the range and actually enjoying themselves. My wife doesn't hate guns anymore, however she'll never be a concealed carry lady either. She feels as long as I've got mine that's good enough. I can live with it I guess. I try to Look on the brigh side; at least it saves me some coin.
    Jaybm likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

She has great taste. Did you take her to dinner afterwards? Hehe.. glad she enjoyed it, now work on convincing her to carry for her personal protection and your peace of mind.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

If they have the ruger sr9c have her try that...It's what I carry and love it!

Sounds like a great evening with the Mrs!

@huskerdu: Unfortunately they don't have an sr9c. They only have an sr9.
    @paching: She wants to carry. That's the whole reason we went in, so she could see what she would like to shoot.

I think next time we go back we will try the M&P9c, LC9, PPQ, maybe a sig or two, and the PPS again. She also wants to find something very small to carry when she runs. Not really sure where to go on that yet.

I'm waiting on our local gunshop to finish its indoor range.
    The proprietor, poor fellow, runs two or three businesses -- like any of us, he's trying to make ends meet in this poor economy -- and he's had to push back the start date a number of times simply because of finances and lack of time.
    At the moment he's projecting open the end of winter.
    I do hope so, date night sounds delightful!
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

The last 4 times I've gone out to any range my wife just wont go. I gave up on it. I'm glad you all can bond with a fun night like that!

Distinguished Member
    Any time on the range is a good time, but going with your women . . well it's a good time and you know you got a good woman.

Sounds like you have a really good range with lots of variety to get your hands on. I find the smaller guns are great for concealing but not so great for shooting for myself, I found my happy medium, good luck on your search for finding yours (hers).
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximpactguns View Post
    The last 4 times I've gone out to any range my wife just wont go. I gave up on it. I'm glad you all can bond with a fun night like that!
    My wife and I have been married 28 years, In all that time shes been out to shoot with me 4 times! 2 of those in the last year. Her friend wanted to learn how to shoot, So she went, and had a great time. when it warms up she says she will go again! So don't give up! DR

My wife had been leaning towards the gun ban side of the fence until recently since we've been moving around the country over the past 3 years and now live deep in the woods. She also started working and often attends evening county functions and has been on edge lately walking to her car in the dark. As of late, she not only WANTS a revolver, she is intent on getting her CCW permit and has also been researching local ranges. Between that, her love of fishing with me and her insistance that I upgrade the '07 Mustang GT to newer Cobra, I suppose I'll keep her.

Links