HELP on a 1941 mauser hsc = model97== nuebie gun guy here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on HELP on a 1941 mauser hsc = model97== nuebie gun guy here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My dad passed on a 1941 mauser hsc = model 97. I am new to firearms and want to learn. In this day and age ...

Thread: HELP on a 1941 mauser hsc = model97== nuebie gun guy here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question HELP on a 1941 mauser hsc = model97== nuebie gun guy here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My dad passed on a 1941 mauser hsc = model 97. I am new to firearms and want to learn. In this day and age I feel that my wife and me should have something in the house to protect us = Does anyone agree?? This pistol as best as I can make out ( stamped in hostel 1941 =ww8a76 =p model 97 and on front either ?cz or 7c7 = hard to make out). Hostel is brown leather with clip at bottom of hostler = what I have seen on internet most clip at top of hostler. Serial # 718790. On left trigger side 655 and right side N with German markings on both sides. F on bottom where clip slides in. Marking on right side Mauser-Werke AG.Oberndorf a.N. and below Mod HSc - kal7.65mm. German marking and N on right front barrel. I have been looking on internet = what is second series?? A couple of years ago a guy who knew about guns said this gun is mint. No bluing at all ( as far as I know is this gun hasn't been shot much). He said there is no markings (as to wear and tear) on the wood handles and the screws have no marks in them. Is this a reliable gun to shot and what is this gun worth?? My biggest question is should I sell this to a gun collector and buy something like a Glock 19 for protection for my wife and home = I am second nature to her. Looking for some help as to understand this gun and what would be better protection for my family?????????????? Thanks. PS thanks to dukalmighty for telling a computer dummy how to post this. Thanks again.

2. Remove Ads

I don't know anything about the gun itself, but I recommend keeping it and putting it away, and buying a modern gun for carry and practice (and learning).

Not saying there's anything wrong with the Mauser, just saying it sounds like it might be a really nice collector gun that you might not want to part with for sentimental reasons. Is there any history behind it, like maybe your grandfather or a friend of the family bringing it back from WWII? Guns are made for shooting, and if a gunsmith says it's safe to shoot and you get very familiar with it you should shoot it on occasion. But I think a gun like that is more for preserving than for receiving the wear and tear of an EDC.

BTW - Can you post pictures?

Yes, I think there is some history to this gun

My Uncle brought this gun home from Germany and gave it to my Dad. My Dad told me my Uncle had spent 35 years in the Army as a Caption. He told me that my Uncle was aha crazy. My dad was also in the service as a master Sargent and a boxer. He was a tail gunner on a B-29 bomber and after two tours later served in Hawaii. He said your Uncle is one of the bravest men he knew = when he gave the command to charge he was in front of his men. He told me if he gave this gun to him there a special meaning to this gun. What I have here is was I guess a special services kind of guy. I don't know how to find the history on this gun. There are '? or 7CZ on the hostel and serial # 718790. Can you suggest any sites to research this?? I grew up in the city of Pittsburgh Pa. and even as a kid have hear gunshots and have seen and hear a lot of other bad gun troubles. Twenty years ago I moved my family from this = today there is more and more of this city shooting going on. I would love to keep the gun, but my money can't afford another. I might be able to sell this gun to give my family a reliable gun to protect our family at home. Really confused as to what to do.

Hey man PM me some pictures. I'm obsessed with Mausers.

I would be glad to. Just got new computer(windows 8 ) and not all familiar with. Tonight will try to get some pics. Should I post them here (not quit sure I will know how to). Shall I email you some = if so how can we exchange emails? Can you suggest some sites to find the value of this gun? Have been looking online as it seems to as tho a Hsc with scratches in metal and handle are selling for almost $1000.00. To me this gun looks better than any I have researched online. A couple of years ago a friend of mine told me this gun is mint and took it to a gun show. He had offers that day to sell , but said it wasn't his . He said he would never sell this gun, but he has a dozen or so. This gun has been in a drawer since 1945 and think this should belong to a true collector. I need reliable protection in this day and age for my wife and family if not me. Most hostels strap at top (brown leather) , but this ones at bottom snaps (confused about this) = is this rare as I have seen only snap on top. Seems as tho this is army issue with 655 firing proof on left trigger and N on right and right front barrel.I don't think this gun has been fired in a long time. Can I ask = I am looking for home protection for my wife and family = I tend to feel this is a gun for a true collector. I would like to buy ( maybe = or any suggestions) a Glock 19. Seems as tho this would be a good fit for my wife and me. Thanks for the interest and would you know of anyone wanting to buy this Hsc??. Sorry for the long talk. Just wanting to learn about a good handgun to protect my wife and family.

Taking pics tonight. Will post soon. thanks

Go pics tonight. Hope I can figure out how to send. Can't = can you tell me how to forward pics on this site. Help appreciated.

VIP Member
    Here is some info on the Mauser HSC. Maybe this will help. With the history behind it I second the recommendation to keep and purchase something else for carry.

Modern Firearms - Mauser HSc
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Thanks , have been told that before and I won't find another like it - I know. My question is would this gun be better with a true collector. I don't have the money to buy a gun to protect my family and wonder if this gun is reliable. I grew up in the inner city of Pittsburgh PA., and as a kid till I moved out always heard gunshots = now that I have moved out more things like this are occurring near me. I don't fear so much for me as I do my family and want to have a good reliable gun for them to protect there lives, ( this is the first time in my life I feel this way). I have heard that a Glock 19 is a good and reliable gun for not only me, but for my wife =and comments? Don't want to sell, but is this a reliable gun in case my wife or me has to use it? Confused and don't know what to do. Any Advise???? Thanks

Links