My LGS has a new "no guns" sign now. - Page 2

My LGS has a new "no guns" sign now.

This is a discussion on My LGS has a new "no guns" sign now. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I stopped by a LGS last week and noticed a new sign at eye level on the front door. It basically stated not to unholster ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: My LGS has a new "no guns" sign now.

I stopped by a LGS last week and noticed a new sign at eye level on the front door. It basically stated not to unholster a loaded gun in the store. Common sense, but probably a needed reminder these days.

I'm guessing that it has a lot to do with the lack of safety exhibited by the thousands of "inexperienced" customers flooding the gun shops during the latest frenzy.

By the way, I always unload my CCW before entering a gun store if the purpose of my visit is to purchase a holster or other accessory.

My LGS has a sign that says all loaded guns must remain concealed.
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

mkh
    The owner of my LGS has personally told me that I can carry even though there is no sign posted. When he was at a different store that had a sign posted he said it didn't apply to me.

I think it all comes down to knowing the owner and being faithful with your business.

FNG
    One of my lgs' goes a step further, he has posted on his door no loaded or concealed firearms permitted. The only reason I've been in his store was when he was the only one who had the ammo I needed.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I've seen ones that say something to the effect of please leave concealed weapons concealed. I really suspect that the wording of the sign doesn't match the intent. if it does, you are wise to take your business elsewhere and let the owner know that you will be doing so and why. It if does not, you should ask him to revise it to one that does and explain that the way it reads will likely offend customers who may just go away without ever saying anything.

If I knew the folks working the store on a first name basis, I would have stood just outside the door while holding it open and peering inside. When they noticed me, I would have called out and asked if they had any deals. When they tried to get me to come in, I would have said, sorry, your new sign says I need to take my business elsewhere. But then again, I don't get accused of being overly polite too often.

A sign like mentioned above saying keep it holstered, or concealed, or something to that effect would make more sense.
    oldnfat, KBSR and JDE101 like this.

Store in this area as a sign saying; "All Guns Welcome HCP owners please remain holstered. All others please clear gun before entering" Explanantion: TN issues a Handgun Carry Permit and does not specify OC or CC. Welcoming notice that leans towaerds safety.
    If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd taken better care of myself when I was younger

The sign on my LGS is the same as in all of our local banks "Please remove hat, sunglasses and mask before entering. Thank you." Nothing about guns. Making sure the cameras get a good view, just in case. Everyone in the LGS is armed, so there's never been a problem. BG's know to go to the GFZ's to cause their mayhem.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Quote Originally Posted by gunslingergirl View Post
    But I'm curious - what is the opinion of folks here about gun stores who don't allow loaded guns into the store?
    Outright bans are pointless and wrong, IMO. An owner has every right to dictate what he/she prefers to be the policies, including on bringing in firearms. And every citizen retains the right to go elsewhere (and remain armed).

I'm all for having a clearly-stated, simple policy that no firearms will be considered for purchase unless it's brought in clearly unloaded/zipped and in a case. Myself, I won't do business with a shop that dares ban all firearms carried by upstanding citizens who simply seek to remain armed in the face of a criminal society. But that's just me.

IMO, it makes far more sense to have a sign that accommodates both situations effectively, ie: We support lawful carry of defensive weapons. Just keep 'em holstered. New/used firearms bought and sold here; just keep them unloaded/zipped/cased if you are going to bring any item in for potential sale to the shop.
    KBSR likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    IMO, it makes far more sense to have a sign that accommodates both situations effectively, ie: We support lawful carry of defensive weapons. Just keep 'em holstered. New/used firearms bought and sold here; just keep them unloaded/zipped/cased if you are going to bring any item in for potential sale to the shop.
    Yup, my LGS has a sign that says something like 'No Loaded Firearms - Except CHL' Short and sweet.

Best sign I saw in a gun shop, "If you aren't legally carrying, you should be."
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Sontag View Post

By the way, I always unload my CCW before entering a gun store if the purpose of my visit is to purchase a holster or other accessory.
    If your EDC is a common weapon then there is a good chance the shop will have the same in stock that you may be able to use to buy a holster or MAYBE even a blue gun mold for said purpose.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    I am HIGHLY IMPRESSED that you would wait before posting the name of the store until after speaking with the owner.

Here, a very fine gun store has the sign also. His only desire is to keep yahoos from unsafe behavior (like the holster-shopper, above). He was perfectly fine with concealed carry. I would lay odds that yours is a similar situation.
    Most of my LGS's are like this. A few have the "No Loaded Guns" sign and below have a sign that says " Concealed means Concealed"

VIP Member
    It'll be interesting to hear back from the OP after he talks to the owner.

I agree that any weapon that is going to be handled for any reason inside the store, should be an unloaded weapon before it enters the store. If the store is outright prohibiting concealed carry weapons on their premises, then I think I'd find a new place to shop.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jblitz View Post
    "Most of the ones who bring in a loaded gun for sale or trade are too stupid to read the sign anyway".
    Sounds about right to me.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links