My LGS has a new "no guns" sign now.

This is a discussion on My LGS has a new "no guns" sign now. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As others have suggested, ask the owner what the intent is. Even if the store doesn't want customers to carry, I wouldn't sweat it. His ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: My LGS has a new "no guns" sign now.

VIP Member
    As others have suggested, ask the owner what the intent is.

Even if the store doesn't want customers to carry, I wouldn't sweat it. His store, his rules. I'd keep going if 1) the prices were fair and 2) the staff treated me with respect and were friendly.

Most people don't sweat cold ranges. Same thing in my opinion.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslingergirl View Post
    Wow! Today I went down to see the empty gun racks at one of my local gun stores (where I've bought several guns) and where I'm on a first name basis with everyone. And they had a new sign on their door - "No loaded guns allowed!"

I was half way into the store before what I read registered. I turned around and left.

Not going to post the name until I get a chance to talk with the owner and find out what this new policy is all about.

But I'm curious - what is the opinion of folks here about gun stores who don't allow loaded guns into the store?

I understand there are certain safety factors, I've seen plenty of morons handling guns in stores. But (outside of CA) I've never run into one before that wouldn't allow a CC permit holder to carry their sidearm.
    I have feeling it has to due with the rush of business from people with no training or clue as to what they are doing with a gun. If that is the case, you might suggest to him, to change the sign to read: "No unholstered loaded guns allow, no loaded guns allowed to be removed from holster while inside the store". Remember, AZ is now a constitutional carry state, so no CC permit, or training is required to carry.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    If your EDC is a common weapon then there is a good chance the shop will have the same in stock that you may be able to use to buy a holster or MAYBE even a blue gun mold for said purpose.
    Good point, 357and40.

I carry a Kimber Solo; finding one in stock or a blue mold is next to impossible.

On another note, unfortunately it's not only other customers that you have to watch out for. I stopped by a shop last Thursday to check on a holster. Of course they were busy, so an employee that I had not seen there before waited on me. He wanted to see my gun to size up their holsters, so I handed it to him (unloaded, mag out). He never checked the chamber to see if it was loaded, and he immediately PUT HIS FINGER IN THE TRIGGER GUARD, ON THE TRIGGER. After sweeping me with the business end of my own gun, I immediately took it from him and told him they did not have what I was looking for.

Needless to say, I'm going to have a chat with the owner he next time I'm in the area.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    IT IS FOR EVERYONE'S SAFETY!

If I had a penny for everytime I've been sweeped by a LGS Jerk, sorry LGS Clerk or a customer in a LGS I be a very wealthy man and be one of Obama's targets for not paying my "FAIR" share! And they think its an unloaded gun! I know and seen persons with 30 years experience of carring a gun daily shoot themselves or their partners. I personally don't want to be a victim of an negligence discharge by someone who think they're a safe handler of firearms.

I've even been sweeped by MAG-40 students while on the firing line in a class and their alledged to be semi-experenced!

Now I'm sure you can check with the owner and see why he or she has put up the sign. Here is another sign that I like maybe you can suggest it: Gun Sign | Miscellaneous | Northeastern Safety Supply

One caveat: Some stores are afraid of being robbed; so if you pull a weapon the Clerks have a free fire zone! Their rules of engagement! Please check with the Owner!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    That may be to prevent people from openly carrying in a gun, or having a gun in a case they slap down on the counter that's loaded, and that I understand. The sign may be for the idiots, and not people who are trained, with a permit, and carry concealed. My local range has a similar sign to prevent people from walking in waving a loaded gun around to avoid mishaps. I walk in all the time with loaded guns, no problem, but like your shop, I'm on a first name and FB friend basis with the employees and they know I'm trained, and work security, so I'm always armed.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslingergirl View Post
    Wow! Today I went down to see the empty gun racks at one of my local gun stores (where I've bought several guns) and where I'm on a first name basis with everyone. And they had a new sign on their door - "No loaded guns allowed!"

I was half way into the store before what I read registered. I turned around and left.

Not going to post the name until I get a chance to talk with the owner and find out what this new policy is all about.

But I'm curious - what is the opinion of folks here about gun stores who don't allow loaded guns into the store?

I understand there are certain safety factors, I've seen plenty of morons handling guns in stores. But (outside of CA) I've never run into one before that wouldn't allow a CC permit holder to carry their sidearm.
    I would guess that they are not banning CC with this, or at least that is not the intent. I would ask them to include a line saying "Responsible concealed carry welcome."
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and Ió
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    No loaded gun no me

Here is a sign at a gun store near here...I don't shop there.

no gun sign.jpg
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

GH
    A few weeks ago I was shopping for an M&P 40C which this particular shop was selling at a good price to military & LEO. They had no new ones in stock but they had a used one. The counterman asked if I wanted to compare sizes with my carry piece. I asked him if I was printing & he told me that he just assumed I'd be carrying. When I told him mine was loaded & chambered he looked at me like I was an alien & said "Of course you are. That's the only way to carry". I ordered a new M&P 40C & paid for it on the spot.

My barbershop has a sign that reads "firearms welcome here".

I will continue to do business at both places.
    BugDude likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

When I worked at a gun shop/range the sign read "All loaded handguns must remain holstered" if someone wanted to try holsters they were handed a set of muffs and told to "go to an open lane, make safe and return with slide locked to the rear/cylinder open to be verified". No misunderstandings and no problems.

One of the shops/range here put one of those signs up a while back. I talked with the owner and told him if I couldn't defend myself in his shop I'd take my business to one of the dozens of other ones around that did. He said, "I'm comfortable with you as I've seen you in here handling guns and on the range. Just keep it holstered and covered and you're fine. I'm tired of punks coming in here flashing their loaded guns around trying out holsters.". I must say I've seen it myself and left a few times because of it. To me, the sign would be better worded like "Loaded weapons MUST stay holstered at ALL times."
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    It also occurs to me that the sign may be put there as a requirement for the company's insurance carrier.
    Enforcing it may be an entirely different matter :)
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    Some other LGS would be getting my business and they would all know me by name from my new repeat business.

Look up the Moss pawn shop on Youtube. Those guys have a "Gun Gripe" about those and jars of ammo that people bring in with their guns SWEARING they're not loaded. But then again my definition of loaded is a full mag but NOT HOT or Chambered. Thats just me though and I've never had an issue with anyone mis-understanding my method. Some of the shops here in my area have the sign and I abide as I'm not a CCW holder at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    A few weeks ago I was shopping for an M&P 40C which this particular shop was selling at a good price to military & LEO. They had no new ones in stock but they had a used one. The counterman asked if I wanted to compare sizes with my carry piece. I asked him if I was printing & he told me that he just assumed I'd be carrying. When I told him mine was loaded & chambered he looked at me like I was an alien & said "Of course you are. That's the only way to carry". I ordered a new M&P 40C & paid for it on the spot.

My barbershop has a sign that reads "firearms welcome here".

I will continue to do business at both places.
    Barbershops are great. Especially if they will use a bic/straight razor on your neck if you get a high'n'tight. A feeling like no other. I tip pretty good on those haircuts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links