My LGS has a new "no guns" sign now.

This is a discussion on My LGS has a new "no guns" sign now. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wow! Today I went down to see the empty gun racks at one of my local gun stores (where I've bought several guns) and where ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: My LGS has a new "no guns" sign now.

Wow! Today I went down to see the empty gun racks at one of my local gun stores (where I've bought several guns) and where I'm on a first name basis with everyone. And they had a new sign on their door - "No loaded guns allowed!"

I was half way into the store before what I read registered. I turned around and left.

Not going to post the name until I get a chance to talk with the owner and find out what this new policy is all about.

But I'm curious - what is the opinion of folks here about gun stores who don't allow loaded guns into the store?

I understand there are certain safety factors, I've seen plenty of morons handling guns in stores. But (outside of CA) I've never run into one before that wouldn't allow a CC permit holder to carry their sidearm.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Wouldn't get my business.

If you don't support my right to protect myself at all times then abide by your wishes and shop elsewhere.

Now, if it said all loaded guns must remain holstered unless otherwise needed, that would be a different story.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

I second the Wow......
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

That is like going to a restaurant that tells you no forks allowed or a movie theater with a sign saying that only blind people are allowed.

How can you sell a product but restrict it at the same time...

p.s: I know that pharmacies sell condoms but restrict use in stores. That is a different argument.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Very simple. Go to the owner and tell him you'll take your business elsewhere. In the current political environment, we just don't need any more of this kind of crap.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

All the gun shops here have that sign and ive asked them about it at each one. For them at least it doenst mean they dont want you carrying a loaded gun into the shop. What they are trying to say in short since its a sign not a billboard is that they dont want you to bring in guns loaded that you are trying to trade, show them, or otherwise be handling to prevent accidental discharges. Really short version was. Sure we like anyone to carry a gun we sell em for petes sakes but I dont really want to be shot by accident by a guy that is showing me a gun he wants to trade on.
    Bad sign I agree but I think youll get some similar answer and by some of the folks I see come in when im there I dont think i blame em for worrying about it.

Hmm, haven't seen this in the 3 - 4 shops I frequent.

When shopping for holsters for example I'd ask if I can remove my loaded cw to try
    the fit. Was never a problem. Of course the owner knows me by name and not sure
    exactly how many guns and other stuff I've purchased there. I know there's a Kahr
    .40 under the counter !

Other shops owners usually have "something" on their hip in the open. When I traded
    the S&W 642 I had to take it out of my pocket holster, empty it and hand it over for
    inspection.

Goes without saying the gun is never pointed anywhere it shouldn't be. My daddy
    taught me at a very young age " never point your gun at something you don't intend
    to shoot ".
    justintimeagain likes this.

Actually our local range has the same sign out and will ask you too leave if you open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    All the gun shops here have that sign and ive asked them about it at each one. For them at least it doenst mean they dont want you carrying a loaded gun into the shop. What they are trying to say in short since its a sign not a billboard is that they dont want you to bring in guns loaded that you are trying to trade, show them, or otherwise be handling to prevent accidental discharges. Really short version was. Sure we like anyone to carry a gun we sell em for petes sakes but I dont really want to be shot by accident by a guy that is showing me a gun he wants to trade on.
    Bad sign I agree but I think youll get some similar answer and by some of the folks I see come in when im there I dont think i blame em for worrying about it.
    This!

VIP Member
    Here's a good one. A guy walks into his LGS looking for a new holster for his carry piece. He then proceeds to whip out his loaded gun and start testing it in various holsters. In the process of doing this he manages the muzzle at least half of the people in the store.

From the stories I've heard around here and in person, this is fairly common. That sign is poorly written and probably is not intended to keep out legally armed individuals - just idiots.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

TJx
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    All the gun shops here have that sign and ive asked them about it at each one.
    Bud's is a good example for having the sign. I just ignore it.
    Here in Northern KY I have yet to see a no gun sign other than keeping it holstered.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    I am HIGHLY IMPRESSED that you would wait before posting the name of the store until after speaking with the owner.

Here, a very fine gun store has the sign also. His only desire is to keep yahoos from unsafe behavior (like the holster-shopper, above). He was perfectly fine with concealed carry. I would lay odds that yours is a similar situation.
    kwag71 likes this.

You cash your call but if it where any place I spent my money I would let them know I was never coming back.

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    I am HIGHLY IMPRESSED that you would wait before posting the name of the store until after speaking with the owner.

Here, a very fine gun store has the sign also. His only desire is to keep yahoos from unsafe behavior (like the holster-shopper, above). He was perfectly fine with concealed carry. I would lay odds that yours is a similar situation.
    I agree. The gun shop I patronize has a similar sign. The owner doesn't want any loaded long guns or unholstered loaded pistols brought into his shop for trade. It's no different in my mind from a hardware store that sells propane not wanting propane tanks brought into their store.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Local gun store here has no sign like that but I would still go there even if he did as I understand his reasons. While in his shop one day, a guy brought in a rifle to sell or trade. When asked if it was unloaded, he replied "Yes sir". When asked to function check the rifle, a live round was ejected. After the customer left I asked about that sort of thing. He showed me a box full of live ammo of assorted types that had been removed from "unloaded" guns.

He has no desire to be shot (it has happened before) even by accident and I do not blame him. He has not posted a sign because, in his words, "Most of the ones who bring in a loaded gun for sale or trade are too stupid to read the sign anyway".
    Lnafree likes this.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links