Shooting after bypass surgery, how long after?

This is a discussion on Shooting after bypass surgery, how long after? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do what you feel comfortable doing. A good rule of thumb to live by - if it hurts then quit doing what your're doing. Just ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Shooting after bypass surgery, how long after?

GH
    Do what you feel comfortable doing. A good rule of thumb to live by - if it hurts then quit doing what your're doing. Just don't plan on taking any tactical courses in the near (far?) future, lol.

I had a stent placed in a heart artery & was fortunate to get out of the hospital in 2 days. I had to stay a few hours longer than originally figured on because my kidneys weren't up to full function. Evidently the dye they used to get a good contract on the scope had affected them. I was told I could play the piano again starting right away. I had never played even one note before that, lol. But - I had to stay away from Judo which I had been doing for many, many years. Go figure.

Good luck, good health & heal fast! You'll be shooting again in no time.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercapt View Post
    I don't know about you alls procedure, but if they sewed up the sternum with stainless wire, have your Dr. make up a card. The wire will trip the full body scan and the handheld. On one accasion, I had to remove my shirt and tie to show the scar. The card sets their mode of scan.
    Yes I have the wired together sternum plus some shrapnel that trips the scanners. On one trip when going thru security at the DFW airport i tripped the scanner and was taken to a side room where i removed my shirt and did a show and tell, the scars were my release ticket.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Probably the biggest impact to your heart will be when you see the new price tags on the ammo you need to replace after your first range outing.

Glad you're on the mend and able to make more memories!

Shoot safe! (And slow to start with)
    Bark'n and msgt/ret like this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    One additional comment, if your doctor prescribes cardiac rehab, take it. Attending rehab helped to speed up my recovery and I do continue in the rehab maintenance program. On one of the machines I initially could only do a three on the resistance now I am able to tolerate a ten resistance for at least five minutes before reducing to an eight for another fifteen minutes and then lowering it for a cool down period. Wishing you the best on your recovery, myself I had quadruple bypass, aneurysm repair and pacemaker, I call it a total overhaul with electronic ignition.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    2003 May massive heart attack July 2003 Quad 41/2 mos b4 handle the 45 could only use .380, April 2012 massive heart attack in a coma for over 20hrs 2mos b4 use 45.

Do the cardo rehab. As the MSarge said it does wonders. That is what keeps me alive. As far as what to do your body will tell you when to stop. My chest is still sensitive in spots after many years. Don't push it.
    Wish you well.
    Semper Fi
    "Marines don't surrender-they win or die." from Brute

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I did a few sessions of the rehab but it aggravated past back and leg injuries. I am lucky, I did not need the jump starter, but I still have problems with the leg that they removed the vain from to use for the bypasses.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Thanks all for your very helpful replies. Spoke to my cardiologist Thursday, he advised to hold off until March 15 this year, bypass was 12/11/12. I think I'll take his advice, but it's going to be a long 2 months, good thing it's Winter here and I'd have to travel a good distance to get to an indoor range, so I'm sitting it out until 3/15. To all Veterans who replied, thanks for your service! Everybody else thank you for your input and stay safe!
    U.S. Army 1973 -1976, Southeastern Signal School Ft. Gordon GA 1973 -1974, Berlin Brigade 1975 -1976.

If your range rents guns, when your 2 months is up maybe rent a 380, if that doesn't hurt go back to your 9. My range offers what they call a 10 for 10 program. $10 for ten minutes includes 10 rounds of ammo. Not sure if you have anything like that in your area. Best wishes on your recovery, sounds like you are doing well so far.

Triple on March 30,2012 (not fun) but worth it (I think) didn't even try to shoot the 1911 .45 or wife's Beretta 96 .40 for six months (probably could have but didn't want to risk it)

Had stents in 2003, 2X bypass Dec 06, 2012, 6 weeks ago. The day after my 66th birthday. I returned to shooting .22 bulls-eye after 2 weeks. I shoot a little .45 acp. reduced power loads a couple times a week along with 9mm. I like the activity, moving around, picking up brass etc. I also do a little reloading too! Just stop when you feel tired. I also try to walk 20-30 minutes per day. I don't have any other health issues and my heart is healthy just inflamation, CAD. (non- smoker). No discomfort from left side muscles, still quite a bit of discomfort on right side though.

Any activity is bound to be good as long as it doesn't put stress on the sternum, stop when you feel tired.

Cheers,

John, Retired LEO, Certified L/E, CPL/CCW Firearms instructor

Hello all,

It was such a nice day this past Saturday, I couldn't resist. Daughter and I went out to the range with the small stuff, .22 rifle and .38 snub. Of course the .22 was no problem. The .38 was fine also, but only went through 50 rounds, usually do a couple hundred or so. Thanks to all for your advice and recovery wishes.

Tom
    U.S. Army 1973 -1976, Southeastern Signal School Ft. Gordon GA 1973 -1974, Berlin Brigade 1975 -1976.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links