Shooting after bypass surgery, how long after?

This is a discussion on Shooting after bypass surgery, how long after? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi All, I'm about 4 weeks out from bypass surgery (traditional, split sternum, ouch!). Has anybody had similiar surgery and if so, how long before ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Shooting after bypass surgery, how long after?

Hi All,

I'm about 4 weeks out from bypass surgery (traditional, split sternum, ouch!). Has anybody had similiar surgery and if so, how
    long before you could comfortably return to regular shooting schedule (once a week or so)? Mainly shoot 9mm and .38 special
    snub. Any need to change grip, stance etc, for awhile?

Regards,

Tom

Hope all went well. Talk to your doctor about this one. As a rough guess, I would suggest you stay away from the .454 Casull and the .50 BMG for now.
    archer51 and 9MMare like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I agree with high pockets, that's your doctor's decision, but if you need a note for the wife...PM me!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So you had surgery 4 weeks ago? For handgun shooting, it should be driven by comfort. High powered rifle - that could do some damage if your body isn't healed up enough yet. It is amazing how fast some recover and return to normal daily lifestyle. Start with a few rounds of low powered handgun, and work your way back up to that. In my healthcare day's, I often worked with patients recovering from cardiac surgery. Recovery time is fast these day's, but still depends on the patient, their condition, the mental willpower to recover, and the doctor that did the surgery. Yes some doctors patients take longer than others. We had our "list" of doctors that we didn't want to see come through.
    BkCo1 likes this.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    BTDT two years ago. My doctor advised no handguns for six weeks and no long guns for six months and since my car has manual steering no driving it for six months.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Thanks for the input all. Recovery is going really well, Doc says it's entirely up to me, as with driving. If it starts to feel unconfortable, stop and rest.
    Being on short term disability for this is making me crazy, I think getting out to the range in a week or so would help with that. Definately not ready for
    long guns yet, well maybe the .22 LOL.
    Aceoky likes this.

Thanks MSGT, I'll keep that in mind.

And by the way MSGT, thanks for your service!

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I had a triple bypass in 1994 and was told no driving, shooting, impact sports or any type of strenuous activity, such as bending and lifting, until after my six weeks follow up visit. At that time i was racing shifter karts and was told not to drive for at least 6 months and then to wear a Kevlar type breast protector. I also had stints emplaced in 2008 and was told to take it easy for a couple of weeks, no impact type activities of any kind. No problems since having either operation or procedure.

Wish you a speedy recovery. Have you stored your good friend, the pillow?
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Ha ha ha chuckusaret! I ditched the pillow a few days ago! Thanks for your service my friend!

VIP Member
    Had quad in 2004, a stint in 2006 and a generator in 2007. I would say the advice that Msgt gave is good advice. My health has cut down the amount of time I have a gun in my hands wether it be a handgun or long gun. Though I still practice self defense, target shoot and hunt. Hell this year I put a scope on my 44 and took it deer hunting. Zeroing the scope on this 44 sent me in the house for a nap afterwards and like me, I'm sure your body will tell you when you have enough for one day.

VIP Member
    Since the doctor has left it up to you, I'd say when you feel comfortable doing it. The main thing is going to be not to overdue it. As others have recommended stay away from the magnum calibers. I'd start out with .22 (if you have one) then progress to the 9mm and .38. I'd probably stay away from +P loads at the start as well.

Hope your recovery is speedy and without issues.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Had triple bypass in 2001. Was told nothing more than walking until the 6 week followup. It was 6 months before I started shooting again and a year before trying my long guns.

Hope your recovery goes well.

BTW, my "pillow" was a Teddy Bear with a heart T-shirt. Somehow I ended up with two of them when I left the hospital. Still have those bears.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jblitz View Post
    BTW, my "pillow" was a Teddy Bear with a heart T-shirt. Somehow I ended up with two of them when I left the hospital. Still have those bears.
    My pillow was a big red heart autographed by the operating room staff, needless to say it was my close companion for several weeks.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    My pillow was a big red heart autographed by the operating room staff, needless to say it was my close companion for several weeks.
    Mine was a heart shaped floral print. I have it in my boat for a sleeping pillow.

Had quad bypass in Nov of '01. Dr made a 4 week followup appointment for me and let me drive, and return to half days work, but limited me to lifting more than 10#. (After the second 4 week, he removed retrictions, but said to come back gradually to working out and heavy lifting.) I asked about shooting. He said if I am comfortable with it, pistol only, and light loads. (He was also a shooter).
    If you start anything, and feel pain, even light pain, you body is trying to tell you something.

I don't know about you alls procedure, but if they sewed up the sternum with stainless wire, have your Dr. make up a card. The wire will trip the full body scan and the handheld. On one accasion, I had to remove my shirt and tie to show the scar. The card sets their mode of scan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links