Yesterday's Gun Store Tour

This is a discussion on Yesterday's Gun Store Tour within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had a couple items I needed, and an open day, so I took a 150-mile gun shop tour yesterday. First stop was at Rod's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Yesterday's Gun Store Tour

VIP Member

Yesterday's Gun Store Tour

I had a couple items I needed, and an open day, so I took a 150-mile gun shop tour yesterday.
    First stop was at Rod's in Marion. His inventory was fairly depleted after a record-setting year-end performance. Still had a few Glocks, no M&Ps, and one AR-10 on display, not for sale. Next, to Shaw's in Marion. Very depleted inventory. Norton's in Waldo were sending their last black rifle out the door, one which had been on layaway since before the shooting.

Next to Black Wing in Delaware. Still had inventory, a couple black rifles, and the only two 9mm Glock mags I saw all day. $50 each, and I got the last two for a 19.

Vance's in Columbus is when it got scary. I couldn't even get into their parking lot, even after four trips around the block. I wound up parking at the pawn shop across the street. The store was wall-to-wall people. I took a number for the heck of it at the gun counter, and had forty numbers ahead of me. They were literally three and four deep at the gun counter. I counted eight background apps being filled out. They still had a few black rifles, but I couldn't get close enough to see the prices. They did have ammo cans of 5.56, limit one, 800 rounds for $339.

Last stop was Sportsman's Den in Shelby. They still had plenty of handguns, typically priced and several AR's, starting at $1600. They had an M1A with a five-round mag, composite stock for $2400. Not a Glock or M&P mag to be seen. Not too crowded.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    This world is really getting crazy. Just like the panic buying in 2008-09, folks are taking what's there rather that what they actually need/want.

Personally, I got caught a little low on ammo, but I can get by on what I've got for a bit. I refuse to add fuel to this fire.

Anyway, that sounds like a fun day. I hope you enjoyed yourself.
    miller_man likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Yep, wanting to start shootingin some events at our local gun club but am unable to find ammo in 9mm, .40 or .45 anywhere close by. Local gun store owner told me he was ordering guns to replace stock IF he could find any.
    I Shoot Birds With A Canon.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    This world is really getting crazy. Just like the panic buying in 2008-09, folks are taking what's there rather that what they actually need/want.

Personally, I got caught a little low on ammo, but I can get by on what I've got for a bit. I refuse to add fuel to this fire.

^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anyone buying up stuff, just to get stuff 'cause they think it will be unavailable or very low in inventory later, is just throwing gasoline on the fire right now.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post

Any day spent with guns is a fun day. I think the most fun part was realizing I already have most everything I need. I saw the results of lots of desperate folks who seemingly do not feel the same way.
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    No need to visit most local gun stores in my area, bare shelves and if they had any stock, way overpriced. One store had a used Bersa .380 priced at $399 and next to it a well used , IMO a beater, 1st generation Glock 17, asking price $475 and a few other off brand wheel guns also way overpriced.

I took a mental note to never enter their stores again.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    No need to visit most local gun stores in my area, bare shelves and if they had any stock, way overpriced. One store had a used Bersa .380 priced at $399 and next to it a well used , IMO a beater, 1st generation Glock 17, asking price $475 and a few other off brand wheel guns also way overpriced.

I took a mental note to never enter their stores again.
    Wow, I didn't notice much gouging on the remaining pistol inventories in the places I visited.
    Tuco

GH
    I have to go to a friend's funeral this afternoon & that's a few blocks away from a gun store. My original plans were to stop there after the funeral & maybe buy some ammo & look at holsters & accessories. I decided to do that some other day. I don't want to add to the chaos.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I am concerned that people are just buying to buy, and regardless of what is on the shelf it will get bought. This is an issue because most places are jacking up prices on everything from used wheel guns to boxes of surplus steel cased Russian ammo. I am currently low on 5.56mm but I will not pay what the current mark up is. I am gonna lay low and not go to the range for awhile until stock is back up and ammo prices are back down.
    varob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Anyone buying up stuff, just to get stuff 'cause they think it will be unavailable or very low in inventory later, is just throwing gasoline on the fire right now.
    really 12-29 I walked into a place I shop often they had an Adams arms Ar15 gas piston in the case they had just gotten a few in it was at he normal price. I know because I bought 2, 5-6 months back as Christmas gifts . I also own a couple and like them .So price right it was there I bought what I wanted how is that throwing gas on any fire.
    I will not go out and buy any of these ones listed on the net at 40-200% over price. Nor will I pay the inflated price on ammo right now . But if someything I want is priced right I will buy.
    As for being unavailable that is a fact just a madder of how soon. do we have 6 months a year you tell me how long before the new bans go into effect and how deep they will cut.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A few months down the road a lot of the hoarders are going to be thinking, What am I going to do with all this stuff? There are people who buy guns and ammo for a purpose, and then there are peopel who buy them because they're afraid they're going to miss out on something.
    Honk likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    A few months down the road a lot of the hoarders are going to be thinking, What am I going to do with all this stuff? There are people who buy guns and ammo for a purpose, and then there are peopel who buy them because they're afraid they're going to miss out on something.
    Yeah, that's never been my problem with ammo! I'm the guy going "how did I use all that up that quickly!"

Then I have to do my penance by spending many nights at the reloading bench until I fill my ammo cans back up!
    oneshot likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Actually the 5.56 was a good price even under normal circumstances.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Vance's was usually buy before the current events started happening.

Last time I was there, I want to say I showed up an hour-45 minutes before closing, got my number, and they didn't get to it until about 30 minutes after closing time. I think that was in September.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I picked up a Springfield XDXC (FFL transfer from Arizona) and an LCP (store stock I had a deposit on) from my LGS here in Helotes, Tx on Wednesday and they had quite a few handguns in stock, unlike the week before. Looked like they and a fair supply of ammo, but I was tapped at that point. Went out yesterday and found very little .380 and no .40 at any of the normal places. Luckily I have enough to last for. Month or so of regular range visits. Checking around on line now. Anybody have any experience with Freedom ammo, reloads or new?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links