1911 Suggestions

1911 Suggestions

This is a discussion on 1911 Suggestions within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've owned a Colt and a Springfield Basic many years ago. Haven't had a 1911 in the stable for a good while. Looking for suggestions ...

VIP Member

1911 Suggestions

I've owned a Colt and a Springfield Basic many years ago. Haven't had a 1911 in the stable for a good while.

Looking for suggestions on good quality, reliable 1911's right out of the box. The requirements are a decent set of fixed 3 dot sights, or white dot front sight and white outline rear. Beveled magazine well and flared ejection port would be nice as well. Don't care for or about extended beaver tails, etc. looking for a good out of the box 1911.

Suggestions/recommendations?

I'm a big fan of Springers... their Mil-Spec model is as basic as you get, with decent sights and a short trigger. If you have a little more money, their "Loaded" series has better sights, a better trigger, and a beavertail grip safety (don't knock it if you haven't tried it). My only issue with both Springers I have is that they needed a little throating and polishing to reliably feed hollowpoints. FYI, models with an "NM" serial number prefix are but together here in the US vs. Brazil.

If the budget is bigger still, the Kimber Custom is their entry-level model with a lot of good features. Kimbers have been subject to a bit of internet bashing for some early quality problems, but over the past several years a lot of the negativity is undeserved.

Beyond those, the new Ruger 1911 seems to be very reliable, whereas the Remington, Taurus and High Standard 1911s do not. You will read a lot of praise on this forum for the Rock Island guns which come to us from the Philippines; my jury is still out on their quality of metallurgy and assembly, but there is no argument about their affordability. If I was buying a 1911 for recreational use only and no potential for defense, I'd give RIA guns a serious look.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

This was posted quite a while ago...you may find it useful!
    Buyer's guide for all you 1911 addicts...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It's not a .45 unless it has a Horse on it..............

VIP Member
    Wow, the buyers guide has a lot of good info. Lots of choices. The lawyer lock might knock SA out of the running.

Part of the equation is how much you can spend (and these days what you can find). I've been very happy with my Ruger SR1911 while SWMBO loves her Kimber Ultra.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    Wow, the buyers guide has a lot of good info. Lots of choices. The lawyer lock might knock SA out of the running.
    I'd say that would be a mistake. My TRP has close to 10K rounds through it since new and the lock doesn't come into the firing equation at all, unlike the S&W revolver lock. When it's time to replace the mainspring in a few gazillion rounds, I might be inclined to swap in basic, non-ILS parts, but it's a passive device that can't simply fall into the works and tie up the gun.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    I'll need a better understanding on how the lock mechanism works.

I've got time, no hurry, I can put something on order.

What about the Sig 1911's, what is the experience with them?

VIP Member
    I'd recommend SA also, the lock on the Loaded Champion I had never gave me any problems. Sigs are decent. I had a RCS that was 100% reliable. If your willing to spend the money on it, I'd highly recommend the DW Guardian.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Sa trp!

I would not count out the Remington R1. Mine has been flawless, and have read very few reviews that had something bad to say about them. I overwhelmingly hear good reviews.

I love my Ruger SR1911

VIP Member
    Got to agree with SA although I use there higher end TRP models. I have never used one of the internal locks and have never had any problems.

I also own a RIA Commander size that I use for my Kimber .22 upper. I have shot it several times in it's original configuration and have no real complaints. Nothing fancy and goes bang every time with decent accuracy.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have a Springer Loaded Champion and would never trade it. Fantastic firearm.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I like my Dan Wesson very much, but it's on the middle end of the price scale(not as much as a Brown, Nighthawk, Wilson etc but more than many options from Springfield and others) and hard to get hold of.

I'd be happy with a Springfield and do a few choice mods if availability was an issue on other options.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

Links