Semi Break-in Rounds

Semi Break-in Rounds

This is a discussion on Semi Break-in Rounds within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Kahr CW9 on the way as my starter pistol and, of course, Kahr recommends 200 rounds for the break-in. I've read (not ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By svgheartland

Thread: Semi Break-in Rounds

Semi Break-in Rounds

I have a Kahr CW9 on the way as my starter pistol and, of course, Kahr recommends 200 rounds for the break-in. I've read (not sure if it's the Kahr website or not) that it's recommended that the break-in should be with the intended carry round type. I was going to stock up on some FMJ for the break-in and then load with HP's afterwards. Does it make a difference? Inquiring newbies need to know...

Distinguished Member
    We all have our opinions on this one. I feel that 200 is minimum though it may be sufficient as well. That's your call. There are many that feel 500 is closer to appropriate. I tend to relax and feel confident between 200-300 rounds on a new one. But this should be in multiple range trips with multiple break downs and cleaning. I wouldnt consider 250 in a single range trip to be a complete break in. You'll need to break it down, clean and lube and reassemble enough times that you're confident in the process.

I would recommend multiple loads for break in and certainly not all SD loads. No one can afford that. Aside from determining performance and reliability, the process is intended to allow the weapon to cycle. This relaxes springs and helps metal fittings to wear sufficiently to function properly. With multiple loads you'll also discover if you have a picky eater on your hands. Some guns function with about anything you feed them, some dislike particular loads. As you near what you feel is the break in, certainly shoot enough of your preferred SD ammo to feel confident that the gun functions at 100% with that round.

Others will weigh in.... Good luck.

And BTW, next time don't listen to the guy about not cleaning it first IMO. Take that bad boy straight home from the shop and scrub him down. Then go to the range.
    KBSR likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    For break in I use FMJ, then after it has proven to operate satisfactorily with that, I'll shoot a box of carry ammo through it. You will find when you get the gun, it is extremely tight. After you've cleaned it, spend some time racking the slide. I sat and racked the slide on my CW45 while watching TV. 200-300 times racking it and it loosened up quite a bit. I've had no problems with the gun. I did have a ammo problem though. Not sure about all of the Kahr guns, but mine did not like the Tula steel case ammo. It absolutely refused to function with it. It eats Winchester, Remington and Federal like a kid with a candy bucket at Halloween.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke0955 View Post
    I have a Kahr CW9 on the way as my starter pistol and, of course, Kahr recommends 200 rounds for the break-in. I've read (not sure if it's the Kahr website or not) that it's recommended that the break-in should be with the intended carry round type. I was going to stock up on some FMJ for the break-in and then load with HP's afterwards. Does it make a difference? Inquiring newbies need to know...
    Just be careful you don't hit the runners!

If the maker says 200 rounds, then anything should do, but most FMJs tend to feed better during that period.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    ... I feel that 200 is minimum though it may be sufficient as well. That's your call. There are many that feel 500 is closer to appropriate. I tend to relax and feel confident between 200-300 rounds on a new one. But this should be in multiple range trips with multiple break downs and cleaning. I wouldnt consider 250 in a single range trip to be a complete break in...
    Absolutely. My intent is well in excess of 200 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    ... And BTW, next time don't listen to the guy about not cleaning it first IMO. Take that bad boy straight home from the shop and scrub him down. Then go to the range.
    Thank you. The Kahr Operating Instructions manual DOES state to disassemble and clean prior to the initial shooting.

Great advice, gents. Thank you!

VIP Member
    The last firearm I bought new was an M&P9c.
    I did not expect any failures and didn't have any but still rand 350-400 rounds through.
    Same with my Kel Tec P11.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Kimber advises 500 rounds, prior to trusting the Kimber Custom Shop guns, like my Ultra Raptor. Their production line guns don't need that many, because they don't come into your hands that tight.

Feed it a varied diet, so you know what she likes best, and always clean it before you shoot it the first time. Whoever told you that oughta be selling golf shoes instead of guns IMHO. When we break in our Kimber pistols, we clean them after every 100 rounds. It isn't a torture test after all.

Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KBSR View Post
    Kimber advises 500 rounds, prior to trusting the Kimber Custom Shop guns, like my Ultra Raptor. Their production line guns don't need that many, because they don't come into your hands that tight.

Feed it a varied diet, so you know what she likes best, and always clean it before you shoot it the first time. Whoever told you that oughta be selling golf shoes instead of guns IMHO. When we break in our Kimber pistols, we clean them after every 100 rounds. It isn't a torture test after all.

Be safe.

This is EXACTLY I carry a wheel gun. No "200, 300, 500 round" brake in THEN test your carry ammo another 50-150 rounds. Load 6 and you are good to go. I am a BIG fan of K.I.S.S.

VIP Member
    Kimber should offer a gift certificate with each purchase, good toward that 500 rounds of ammo required to make its guns work right.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Kimber should offer a gift certificate with each purchase, good toward that 500 rounds of ammo required to make its guns work right.
    As a newbie, I take that as a jab at Kimber. That bad?

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Put as many as you want through a carry gun for your self-confidence but if it doesn't run with ball ammo right out of the box, after cleaning and lube, send it back because it's broken. I just don't understand why anyone would buy an "off the shelf" gun that required 200 or more rounds to make it shoot reliably. If you shoot 170 rounds and it malfunctions do you start over?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke0955 View Post
    As a newbie, I take that as a jab at Kimber. That bad?
    Sort of. For what a Kimber costs, they should have already run 500 rounds thru it at the factory. Or lower the cost a couple hundred to compenate for the ammo. 500 is a lot of ammo just to break in a "high quality" handgun.

Links