Having accuracy issues - Need advice please

This is a discussion on Having accuracy issues - Need advice please within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by GunsAndViolince +1 on dryfiring. A cheap, quiet way to improve your skills. You should notice the same symptoms when doing this if ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Having accuracy issues - Need advice please

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunsAndViolince View Post
    +1 on dryfiring. A cheap, quiet way to improve your skills. You should notice the same symptoms when doing this if it really is related to your trigger pull.

How far is your weak/support hand around the strong hand? I found at one point in my development, that though my support hand 'looked right' it wasn't truly exerting any stabilizing force on the situation.

Or, if you are shooting strong hand only, is the gun a really bad fit for your hand? You might see if you have the same problem with other handguns.

One other thought: I was doing a sort of informal IDPA-style match once and was asked to fire weak hand only. "Yikes!" I thought. I'd never done that before, ever. It turned out I was nearly as accurate with the .45 weak hand (left) as strong hand under 10 yards. Except that I noticed the gun move to the right just after the bullet left. I think it would be fun to get a pair of 1911s and practice firing both at the same time, and practice having my left hand mirror my right. Haven't done it yet though

Cheers and best wishes,

Gav
    This is somewhat common in Cowboy Action Shooting. If you want to try it here's an instructional video. Ive tried this a couple of times. I have short fat fingers, I'm not able to cock the SAA Colts one handed without disturbing my shooting grip. But I may try two 1911s tho! DR

Cowboy Action Shooting: Beginning Shooter's Guide: Shooting Pistols - YouTube

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    One other thing that may add to your situation is being right handed and left eye dominant or reverse eye dominance. That will at times cause a left or right variance when shooting. If this is the cause then your better off doing just what your are doing by correcting the finger and not trying to "see" different.
    I don't understand this post. ?? Right / Left variance?

There are more than a few, very successful, cross dominant shooters.
    aus71383 likes this.
    TY54712

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    I am going to try to coin thing with my new KAHR CM9 Since it has a flat top on the slide
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    I tried to coin thing and either I have a very smooth trigger pull or it is just a dumb drill. I hope it is the former.

Given my marksmanship or lack thereof it must be something else.

I think I will collect my last range targets and see if there is a pattern that fits the chart that 68blackbird posted.
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Senior Moderator
    I would but it in a shooting rest and see how it shoots
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The index finger has 3 joints, depending on which joint or joints are flexed during the pulling (squeezing) of the trigger, will place different forces on the trigger. If a sideways force is placed on the trigger during the squeeze it will make the gun drift in that direction. It also depends on the size of you hand as to the direction of displacement during the squeeze. The best solution is to find which method is easiest to pull the trigger straight back so no side forces are imparted.
    Jaybm likes this.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

Again, dry fire will tell you if you are disturbing the gun.
    TY54712

Quote Originally Posted by 68blackbird View Post
    FWIW, most everything I've read/heard, sounds like too much/little trigger finger.
    Definitely sounds like too much finger on the trigger to me. Hard to say without watchin ya shoot.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links