Having accuracy issues - Need advice please

This is a discussion on Having accuracy issues - Need advice please within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So after quite a few range trips a trend has emerged with my LCR. I shoot left. Not high left or low left, just left. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Having accuracy issues - Need advice please

Having accuracy issues - Need advice please

So after quite a few range trips a trend has emerged with my LCR. I shoot left. Not high left or low left, just left. So, I checked that handy little accuracy correction target that's floating around and it states that problem is most commons associated with two little or to much finger on the trigger. OK, fair enough. I do shoot with quite a bit of finger on the trigger. Generally to the first joint on my finger. So I tried putting less finger on the trigger. About halfway between the the tip and the first joint. Problem solved! But not really :( Yes, my groups shifted to pretty much dead center but it because the gun is now moving. I can physically see the front sight drift right when I pull the trigger with less finger in it. So while it does correct the accuracy issue I don't think it really fixes it because I an introducing another problem. Now, when I have more finger on the trigger there is no sight movement at all. The gun does have the aftermarket XS night sight on it but it's pinned in so I cant imagine that cause a left and right issue. And the rear sight is non adjustable. Any ideas?

Thanks
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Put it on a rest or let someone else shoot. It may just shoot left. Dry firing is a good thing. You can always learn from it.
    TY54712

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Obviously you've broken another fine gun....
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

+1 on dryfiring. A cheap, quiet way to improve your skills. You should notice the same symptoms when doing this if it really is related to your trigger pull.

How far is your weak/support hand around the strong hand? I found at one point in my development, that though my support hand 'looked right' it wasn't truly exerting any stabilizing force on the situation.

Or, if you are shooting strong hand only, is the gun a really bad fit for your hand? You might see if you have the same problem with other handguns.

One other thought: I was doing a sort of informal IDPA-style match once and was asked to fire weak hand only. "Yikes!" I thought. I'd never done that before, ever. It turned out I was nearly as accurate with the .45 weak hand (left) as strong hand under 10 yards. Except that I noticed the gun move to the right just after the bullet left. I think it would be fun to get a pair of 1911s and practice firing both at the same time, and practice having my left hand mirror my right. Haven't done it yet though

Cheers and best wishes,

Gav

FWIW, most everything I've read/heard, sounds like too much/little trigger finger. A lot stuff on YT if your into that stuff.

newpistolmistakeschart.jpg
    pittypat21 likes this.
    The wise man looks for ways to minimize mistakes, a fool boasts it will never happened to him.

"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
    - Antonio Meloni

Back to BASICS,,,, Follow Through ; ) PS Practice

H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

My experience is only one more thing to consider. I've had a Kahr PM9 carry gun for a few years and got fair with it but could never improve beyong that point. Recently I got a Glock 30 SF and the very first mag was much better than my PM9. I was puzzled by that and started gripping both and got a big Ah-ha. The little gun has a little grip that feels good but when holding it I can push the barrel away from my strong side with the grip twisting in my hand. The glock has a more square grip and is very solid - no twist there.

To prove it, hold a round placstic pipe of what dieameter fits your hand well, then try to twist it with your other hand. Then do the same with a 2x2 board and see the difference. I went to Lowes to try it. It makes sense, but the reality is the gun that feels the most comfortable may not be they one you need.

Further on dry firing: I don't know if the top of your LCR is flat enough to do this, but if it is, lay a coin across the top of the barrel when you dry fire. Keeping that coin from falling off is the challenge. I find this a particularly useful exercise with any of my DA handguns, especially the autos like the Sig and the CZ.

Just remember to remove all ammo from the room where you do your dry fire practice, and even with an unloaded gun pay attention to Rule 2!
    Brad426 and pgrass101 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Great thread. I was just about to start searching for something like this to analyze my trends. Now that I have figured out what I do to cause the patterned misses, where can I find information on what I do to correct it? I consistently put my hits anywhere from low to low-left (6 - 8 o'clock). According to the image posted above, I know what I'm doing wrong now, but what do I do to correct it? (Funny enough though, the first 10 shots I took yesterday were in a 3 inch group around the center bullseye, but then I couldnt' do it again.)

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Obviously you've broken another fine gun....
    Thanks for the vote of confidence OV lol ;)
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Further on dry firing: I don't know if the top of your LCR is flat enough to do this, but if it is, lay a coin across the top of the barrel when dry fire. Keeping that coin from falling off is the challenge. I find this a particularly useful exercise with any of my DA handguns, especially the autos like the Sig and the CZ.

Just remember to remove all ammo from the room where you do your dry fire practice, and even with an unloaded gun pay attention to Rule 2!
    I just tried this and no matter what I do the coin jumps of the barrel when the hammer falls :(

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Further on dry firing: I don't know if the top of your LCR is flat enough to do this, but if it is, lay a coin across the top of the barrel when dry fire. Keeping that coin from falling off is the challenge. I find this a particularly useful exercise with any of my DA handguns, especially the autos like the Sig and the CZ.

Thanks for the Basic Training flashbacks...
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

One other thing that may add to your situation is being right handed and left eye dominant or reverse eye dominance. That will at times cause a left or right variance when shooting. If this is the cause then your better off doing just what your are doing by correcting the finger and not trying to "see" different.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

On the coin thing, put a dime heads up - otherwise the head is a rounded surface and you'll drive yourself crazy trying to accomplish the drill.

And your grip is probably not correct............also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links