Cobra fs 380 review

Cobra fs 380 review

This is a discussion on Cobra fs 380 review within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I have heard so many bad things about cobra it intrigued me and I went and purchased one for a cheap amount and wanted ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Cobra fs 380 review

Cobra fs 380 review

So I have heard so many bad things about cobra it intrigued me and I went and purchased one for a cheap amount and wanted to see how bad it really is. Well I can attest to you here today after 43 rounds It is not as bad as everyone blows it up to be.

For anyone that doesn't kno it is a blowback styled steel framed handgun. I purchased the freedom series 380. I also was shooting PPU ammo that I picked up from Walmart. So last night I stripped the gun and cleaned it and lubed it with rem oil.

Now into the range. I had to failure to ejects throughout the whole session and realized they were within he first two magazines fired through on the first shot when loaded to full capacity with 7 rounds. One of these FTE I also attribute to myself for limp wristing. I then shot the next 2 magazines trough with 6 rounds and had no issues. I finished off the session with the last 2 mags being seven rounds with no issues and then fired 3 more just for kicks. I can say that this gun is not yet finished he break in period but for the cost I am not disappointed with it by any means. The to failures can be expected in break in period and they Till may have been my fault and I was using dirty ammo.

Onto the actual gun. The sights might as well not be there as they have no dots and this being all chrome any amount of light in the slide made it difficult to see the sights. It could use better sights. The recoil wasn't bad but I can attribute that to the heavy all steel frame. The trigger is not bad it seemed pretty good especially for the price poit of the gun. I will follow up after my next trip
    WE0H and Realwild1 like this.

VIP Member
    Well, every now and then Monkeys fall out of trees.

Heres the problem with that pistol.
    If you doubled the money spent, you would have got a way better 9mm that weighed less, was more reliable, and was the same size.
    Glad you are happy with it though, but for me myself and Irene, I'll stick with 9mm or .38 spl. for my minimum.
    zacii likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Cobra fs 380 review

I agree but as you said DOUBLE the money if someone did not have double the money could they use this weapon and right now I would be inclined to say yes

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    I am glad you are happy but you may be approaching the life expectancy of that pistol. Their reputation is well founded.

Cobra fs 380 review

I understand I have more than one firearm I was trying to give a review of a weapon known to have a poor reputation and saw a silver lining

Edit: they also do have lifetime warranty and have heard that they Stand by that and are very good at it

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post

If you doubled the money spent, you would have got a way better 9mm that weighed less, was more reliable, and was the same size.
    Glad you are happy with it though, but for me myself and Irene, I'll stick with 9mm or .38 spl. for my minimum.
    Same reason I bought a glock over a colt 1911. Less weight, smaller, cheaper, more bullets in the mag more reliable out of the box.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Same reason I bought a glock over a colt 1911. Less weight, smaller, cheaper, more bullets in the mag more reliable out of the box.
    True on all points except the last one.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggy22 View Post
    I agree but as you said DOUBLE the money if someone did not have double the money could they use this weapon and right now I would be inclined to say yes

^^^They go for around ^^^^^^^^^^

$100-165.
    I would rather someone go and buy a used S&W model 10,64, 13 or the like for a bit more.

S&W Model 10 Rev. 4" Heavy Barrel 38spec No Reser. : Revolvers at GunBroker.com
    Model 10, $220 w/ 50 mn. left.

$300-350 gets you a S&W 6904

I don't think a whole lot of Taurus pistols(revolvers a bit more) but I would rather see somebody get a Taurus .380 for around $190, and then go up to around $200-250 and get a Ruger or a Kel Tec .380.

Thanks for giving us some insight on the Cobra though, but I think if someone really needed a pistol, they should avoid headaches and problems and get something that would serve them better, for longer.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Cobra fs 380 review

I understand what you are saying and appreciate your comments and critiques hopefully this will help someone however if they need information
    oneshot likes this.

Hey, i love inexpensive pistols myself, and have purchased a few of the "cheapo" ones just to figure out what may work, and what may not. My experience with Cobra was with their Derringers... and it was horrible to say the least. However, it is nice to hear reviews on guns that are inexpensive and work well!! Great job!! Not everyone has enough money to "double" the cost of their gun, so i say kudos to you. bunker
    WE0H likes this.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Cobra fs 380 review

Quote Originally Posted by bunker View Post
    Hey, i love inexpensive pistols myself, and have purchased a few of the "cheapo" ones just to figure out what may work, and what may not. My experience with Cobra was with their Derringers... and it was horrible to say the least. However, it is nice to hear reviews on guns that are inexpensive and work well!! Great job!! Not everyone has enough money to "double" the cost of their gun, so i say kudos to you. bunker
    Thank You. Especially in times like these I would rather see people arm with selves with cheap ugly guns that work then approach a gun fight with a knife or bat
    WE0H likes this.

My brother has one of those, too.

I'd rather have a used j-frame, JMHO.

I could never get used to the trigger.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post

Which pistol sells for $180 to $240 and weights less?

As a rule of course most semi-auto handguns sell below $300 require long break in times and most probably a good deal of fluff & buff. You hear the same rants about Hi-Point, Phoenix Arms, Jimenez Arms, IO and Kel-Tec to name a few. All these gun require some out of the box TLC (remove burrs and tool marks, polish all sliding surfaces, feed ramp, and chamber opening), a deep cleaning and proper lube. If you want/expect the manufacture to do that, you pay lots more. Even the mid-range CZ clones require some work (and general end up shooting better than the premium brands). Don't buy any precision equipment without doing your due diligence. If the work required to make the gun, your confidence and skills mesh is to much for you or out of your skill-set, pick a different gun or have some provide those skills/services.

These are not range guns or service duty guns. You take them out the first couple times to work out any quirks, put 100-200 rounds of descent ammo through them for break in, do a complete field strip, checking for any signs of surface abrasion, stress fractures or warping and loose parts (before the warranty runs out, but then most of these guns have lifetime warranties), clean and lube. Then back to the range to test your carry load(s). After that it's a couple magazines a month to check continued reliability and sharpen your manual of arms and confidence in the hardware. They are not designed to go to the range daily and shoot a thousand rounds a week.

And if your buying a toy (basically a BIG pellet/BB-gun) to play or plink with, who cares.

Cool Cobra FS Series .380 Semi Auto Review

I will be honest I have been blessed to shoot some of the best made weapons in the world. People dog the Cobra but the stove pipe problem happens to many new weapons. I have owned one for a back up for years I used a fine brush and acrylic paint over that epoxy based night glow. Then after I reserved I bought a few magazines loaded and after breaking down and cleaning I sat watching TV and worked slide with extra oil. You all know too much oil is not good when in use so I cleaned again. The result. At 24 yards I am at a 2 inch grouping dead on and never stove pipe. All Weapons should be cleaned before using and run the slide no different then a lever action the more you use the faster the action and smoother. I Highly recommend this weapon for the price. Do as stagnated run a few boxes of brass FMJ. Then fill with your Hp Defense rounds. To all the net Sayers not everyone can afford a sig. Glock or SW.
    And if you can not afford a high end weapon for defense this weapon comes with a no hassle life time warranty so send info to Cobra. My weapon is solid not close to end of life span and beats throwing rocks when a gun or knife is a threat to life. Give this gun a chance I actually Love mine. It is not my primary but I do carry for back up. At 1080 fps it's a nice close quarter hitter and if maintained will do the job. if you can afford a higher end weapon get it but do not misjudge this weapon while you save for a higher brand you may change caliber and use this dependable weapon as a back up. What happens between now and then this weapon may save you Or a family member. We all carry with the prayer we never need but like the atheist who thinks guns kill people not people kill people being robbed at gun point thinks at that moment Oh God I wish I had a Gun!!!

I had a CA 380 and after 2 trips back to Cobra it stopped the FTE but after firing about37 or 38 rounds thru it, the slide came flying off. I am sending it back today and they are replacing it with a FS 380. This gun was a birthday present from my son and daughter so I am hoping to have much better luck with the replacement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links