Vent Time

Vent Time

This is a discussion on Vent Time within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am more than a little annoyed. Saturday, I hit the "buy now" icon on Guns America. True, a little note at the bottom said ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ccw9mm
  • 1 Post By Dangerfield

Thread: Vent Time

Distinguished Member

Vent Time

I am more than a little annoyed. Saturday, I hit the "buy now" icon on Guns America. True, a little note at the bottom said this is not a guarantee of a sale. So I wait two days and I get this message from the seller, "I'm in the middle of a trade right now. If this does not work out, you're next in line." Ok, I understand the trade option - nothing was firmed up. But, I always thought when you hit the "buy now" that was a commitment if you are paying the seller's agreed upon price. Most frustrating was that it was a really good deal.

Next on the list in the same genre. On another forum, I got my head torn off for posting my frustration with sellers who indicate "I'll take it" in a time stamp gets the firearm. I had done two in a row like this, only to find out that the firearm sold weeks ago but they never bothered to update the status.

Of course, wouldn't you know that the poor guy I finally flamed for welching on the deal was the wrong guy. Mixed him up with another welched deal, same firearm. Got me a 3 day go-to-jail card. That was humbling.

Thoughts?
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Usually you're not dealing with sellers with automatic inventory control. For this reason, I expect to encounter some of this type of thing. I called a guy that listed some guns in a classified section on a rod & gun club website and virtually everything was gone. He just apologized and said I really need to contact the web master and have my listing updated. Yup!
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c
    Favorite Firearm: 1968 SW .357 Revolver

To my way of thinking, an in-progress trade being negotiated takes a back seat to any <buy now> agreement to terms. An offer's been made, and with <buy now> it's been accepted. A strong argument can be made that THAT agreement is the one that's binding, well ahead of any hopes for some other in-progress negotiation that isn't yet itself a sale.

But unless it comes to some sort of contractual arrangement with sellers on a site regarding exclusivity (with penalties for infringement), any such site is little more than one telephone pole or bulletin board in a string of poles/boards on which someone gets to staple their ads, without any exclusivity implied.

Myself, anything I've posted in multiple places has clearly indicated in the ad text that it's a first-come, first-served, multiply-posted type offer, and no exclusivity is implied. Though, most firearms and related items I've posted have been on one of the more-popular auction-type sites exclusively, and I've refrained from engaging in any outside deal-making so long as that ad was active/open. But that's just me. Not every seller does that.

As for purchases I'm looking for, one of the things I require for myself is to have access to a telephone number where I can speak with the seller ahead of time. Invariably I've got questions about the item, but assuredly one of the first and most-basic questions is whether the item's still available. Hard to do with a blindly-pressed <buy now> button on a web site that might or might not have any tie to current inventory status. It is what it is.
    aznav likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I sure miss the days when inventories were up. I used to like to surf different on-line gun shops and see what deals they had. It is not fun anymore because everything I am interested in says "Out of Stock"
    aznav likes this.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    To my way of thinking, an in-progress trade being negotiated takes a back seat to any <buy now> agreement to terms. An offer's been made, and with <buy now> it's been accepted. A strong argument can be made that THAT agreement is the one that's binding, well ahead of any hopes for some other in-progress negotiation that isn't yet itself a sale.

But unless it comes to some sort of contractual arrangement with sellers on a site regarding exclusivity (with penalties for infringement), any such site is little more than one telephone pole or bulletin board in a string of poles/boards on which someone gets to staple their ads, without any exclusivity implied.

Myself, anything I've posted in multiple places has clearly indicated in the ad text that it's a first-come, first-served, multiply-posted type offer, and no exclusivity is implied. Though, most firearms and related items I've posted have been on one of the more-popular auction-type sites exclusively, and I've refrained from engaging in any outside deal-making so long as that ad was active/open. But that's just me. Not every seller does that.

As for purchases I'm looking for, one of the things I require for myself is to have access to a telephone number where I can speak with the seller ahead of time. Invariably I've got questions about the item, but assuredly one of the first and most-basic questions is whether the item's still available. Hard to do with a blindly-pressed <buy now> button on a web site that might or might not have any tie to current inventory status. It is what it is.
    That was excellent!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

VIP Member
    I've bought two firearms from a dealer on GB, and it was very satisfactory.
    They were buy nows, and all went well.
    Guns America, while I registered, just felt ,,,"odd".
    Not faulting them but;
    I would scrutinize the listing for the firearm, and then if you suspect foul play, I would tell him you will report him, if he doesn't let you have it for the buy it now.

Its their job to check their listing of that particular firearm, prior to any transaction locally they may enter into, to see if an offer is made.
    He obviously got a sucker to offer more than his buy it now, and is going forward with that deal.

Sorry he was an unscrupulous seller.
    Better luck next time.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    Of course, wouldn't you know that the poor guy I finally flamed for welching on the deal was the wrong guy. Mixed him up with another welched deal, same firearm. Got me a 3 day go-to-jail card. That was humbling.

Thoughts?
    I do have a thought - "That sucks"

Sorry my friend, we all have bad days.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member
    That's what the feedback feature is for.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    That's what the feedback feature is for.
    That particular forum will not let you leave feedback unless you are the specific buyer/seller. Since I never got the firearms, never had the chance to give feedback.

And a brief update, seller from GA has yet to contact me though big red banner says "Gun is sold!". I'm pretty sure it's to another guy but would love to be wrong. Even GA put out another email saying "too bad, so sad" if the gun already sold. Dealers are having a hard time updating what they have and what is listed online. I can understand this. However, this guy has only had one sale on GA and this is his second. Thinking it just was not meant to be and need to keep that in focus.

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    I am more than a little annoyed. Saturday, I hit the "buy now" icon on Guns America. True, a little note at the bottom said this is not a guarantee of a sale. So I wait two days and I get this message from the seller, "I'm in the middle of a trade right now. If this does not work out, you're next in line." Ok, I understand the trade option - nothing was firmed up. But, I always thought when you hit the "buy now" that was a commitment if you are paying the seller's agreed upon price. Most frustrating was that it was a really good deal.

Next on the list in the same genre. On another forum, I got my head torn off for posting my frustration with sellers who indicate "I'll take it" in a time stamp gets the firearm. I had done two in a row like this, only to find out that the firearm sold weeks ago but they never bothered to update the status.

Thoughts?
    Look up this guy John from Union Outfitters. He started his famous and BEST lay-away option from ANY dealer. www.cashforyourguns. if you decide to email him just give him a day or so to get back to you. He's swamped like anyone else but sometimes he will get back with you within like several hours. I've recently purchased from him and had an AWESOME transaction with him. Good guy and deserves the business!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximpactguns View Post
    Look up this guy John from Union Outfitters. He started his famous and BEST lay-away option from ANY dealer. www.cashforyourguns. if you decide to email him just give him a day or so to get back to you. He's swamped like anyone else but sometimes he will get back with you within like several hours. I've recently purchased from him and had an AWESOME transaction with him. Good guy and deserves the business!
    Funny, he's just two hours from my place. Doubt if I can buy in another state. Also, on GB, sure seems like his prices are a little stiff.Could just be me.

Distinguished Member
    Well, the guy never did answer my emails. Last time I do business on GA. GA did contact me and said they feel my pain but too bad. Wow. Try that on GunBroker.

Links