Family, Friends, and the NRA

This is a discussion on Family, Friends, and the NRA within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been talking to my brother-in-law for several years about guns and he's been somewhat interested. He hunts, has a revolver, but has never really ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By BugDude
  • 2 Post By TX expat
  • 1 Post By BugDude

Thread: Family, Friends, and the NRA

I've been talking to my brother-in-law for several years about guns and he's been somewhat interested. He hunts, has a revolver, but has never really been into just going shooting, handguns, carrying, etc. He began to ask me about different pistols several months back, so I took an assortment with me when we traveled home for Thanksgiving and I took him and one of my nephews (21) to the range. They LOVED it. He got a family membership to that range close to his house on the spot!!!

Within a week, he texted me and told me he bought a Springfield XDm-9 3.8 compact and a S&W M&P22 (something my other nephew, 14, could shoot). I had taken my younger nephew shooting before and he really liked it, and he squirrel hunts too. Now they've been going to the range together and really getting into it. My BIL also took the NC concealed carry class and has applied for his CC permit.

So, as I've been at the computer night after night sending electronic letters to my representatives regarding protecting our 2A, my NRA membership renewal comes in the mail today. So what did I do? I re-upped for 5 more years and called my brother-in-law and got him and both of my nephews memberships also! My treat. And they get each of the 3 magazine subscriptions. The only thing I asked is that he get online and start sending letters to his representatives about NO COMPROMISES, no more restrictions, oppose anymore gun control legislation. He said, "Thanks!! You've got a deal!"

When my father-in-law passed away in June, it struck me that we are losing our mentors, our heros, our Veterans, and our fellow 2A supporters at an alarming rate. It is encumbant upon us to become the mentors to the younger generation if we are going to keep our rights.

It is also encumbant upon us to encourage our shooting buddies to contact their legislators. During lunch at work today, I had a conversation with one of the pro-2A Docs and told him I'd been writing letters online. He said, "Send me the links and a sample of one of your letters and I'll go out and start sending them too." I said, "On one condition...send the links to Drs. X, Y, and Z and get them to do it too. Send several per day. It's our only hope." He said, "Deal!" So, I sent him an e-mail with all of the links to take him straight to the contact page of all of our district Congressmen, Senator, and the Speaker of the House and a sample letter. He started sending communications and forwarded it to the other Docs (all of which I've gone to the range with, just haven't seen them lately and he works closely with them). It's time to burn up the interwebz with letters to our reps!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Great job,bug.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

VIP Member
    I tell you what, nobody can accuse you of not doing your part. I felt pretty good about my efforts today (I mailed off letters to all the usual suspects) and after reading your post, I feel like a slacker... I got my wife on board and she even wrote and emailed yesterday. I guess tomorrow I'm going to assume the "what have you done for me lately" mindset and start all over.

And you are right, it is up to us to start being the one's who get looked to instead of the one's doing the looking. Although I realize I'll always do a fair amount of looking as well!

Thank you for helping me stay focused!
    Last edited by TX expat; January 7th, 2013 at 10:35 PM.
    BugDude and Brad426 like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I tell you what, nobody can acuse you of not doing your part. I felt pretty good about my efforts today (I mailed off letters to all the usual suspects) and after reading your post, I feel like a slacker... I got my wife on board and she even wrote and emailed yesterday. I guess tomorrow I'm going to assume the "what have you done for me lately" mindset and start all over.

And you are right, it is up to us to start being the one's who get looked to instead of the one's doing the looking. Although I realize I'll always do a fair amount of looking as well!

Thank you for helping me stay focused!
    You SHOULD feel good about your efforts!!! You are sending letters and getting your wife to send them to. That's exponential growth. I certainly don't want anyone to feel bad, I just hope to inspire and encourage folks to educate others around them, introduce friends and family to responsible 2A participation, be a positive model for all responsible gun owners, encourage them to get involved in their representatives hearing their voice.

We all have different talents, abilities, and resources. Do what you can and feel GREAT about it!!! Share what you are doing and it may inspire someone. Keep fighting the good fight my friend.
    TX expat likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

BugDude, thank you! I appreciate your efforts.

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

Links