To protect my family and home = Is a Glock 19 a good choice?? - Page 3

To protect my family and home = Is a Glock 19 a good choice??

This is a discussion on To protect my family and home = Is a Glock 19 a good choice?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; G19 is a great choice and also Glocks most popular model...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: To protect my family and home = Is a Glock 19 a good choice??

Distinguished Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    G19 is a great choice and also Glocks most popular model

Well, I can say that the G19 is a good choice. Accurate and reliable. It is a pleasure to shoot and hold. Fairly tame recoil and the slide is not hard to operate. Both my girlfriend and my 17 year old daughter love to shoot mine. So, I think your wife will probably do well with it also. It is my current home defense gun, kept right by my bed. Load it with 15 rounds of some good 9mm HP and you will be good to go. FMJ 9mm is fairly inexpensive and easily available for practice too.
    "Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."

- Dave Gell

Distinguished Member Array GlassWolf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mauser1941 View Post
    I have been doing a lot of research on a hand gun for protection for my family and home. In this day and age I feel it is more important than very to own a gun. I am new to guns and looking for some advise? Looking online and talking with people, I have heard a lot of good things about a Glock 19 , but wonder if this is a good choice for my wife?. Seems as tho this gun is a little expensive(don't know = new). What other guns are good and reliable with a lower price. I know you get what you pay for. I don't have the money now for a gun, but have a 1941 mauser in mint condition( a friend said this gun has been shot no more than a dozen times and no marks on gun at all including wood handle and hostel almost no wear) and have confirmed all markings on gun to be correct. I don't know if this gun has been shot since = don't know when and wonder if it would be reliable. Seems to me as this gun would be better with a true collector ( looking online a gun not in this condition are bringing very close to $1000.00. Looking to maybe sell this gun and get a Glock 19 (or other suggestions) and ahhh maybe a new water heater for the house LOL LOL = not really tho,( it's winter and hot water is good) or maybe another gun for me or my wife to carry. Does anyone know the laws in Pa. for carrying a pistol??? Is a Glock 19 too big to conceal or what other suggestion might you give me??? Sorry for going on soo long = have alot to learn. Thanks
    If you want to defend your home, buy a shotgun, or an AR or AK. A handgun is a close quarters, last resort defensive weapon. You want something with a little more punch, and accuracy.
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Quote Originally Posted by GlassWolf View Post
    If you want to defend your home, buy a shotgun, or an AR or AK. A handgun is a close quarters, last resort defensive weapon. You want something with a little more punch, and accuracy.
    I agree with everything this guy said, especially the shotgun. Get yourself a good shotgun and a G 19, both are a good thing to have around the house.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

All I'm going to say is that there are many things to consider which is the best home defense weapon.

Especially if you expect your wife to be able to use it effectively as well.

Whatever you choose, there should be considerable planning and forethought in choosing what is going to work for your family.

Do you want a handgun or a long gun? Which is going to be best in your situation? Ideally, you should have both, but that may not be financially feasible for you at this time.

While the shotgun is no doubt a formidable home defense tool, it is not always the best choice for everyone. Many women (or any small statured person) find the 12 ga. shotgun difficult and unpleasant to shoot. More importantly, it is harder to wield in close quarters, and many small statured people find it outright too cumbersome. It is also easier to disarm a person with a long gun in a close quarter stuggle due to the length of the gun and the leverage which can be applied to it. This is especially true if you need to, or intend to move about the house with the weapon. Proper training in weapon retention is quite effective in learning how to control a long gun during a struggle. These are merely some points which need to be carefully considered and not intended to disuade you from using a shotgun as part of your defense strategy. Many people have successfully used the shotgun for home defense with little or no special training at all and will continue to do so.

One of the benefits of using a handgun is it's portability and ease of carrying it when moving about the house. Also the ability to use it one handed, leaving the other hand free for other tasks, such as opening and closing doors, using a flashlight, using a cell phone to call for help, or fending off an attack if someone jumps out at you. It can also be easier to keep a hold of during a struggle and be fired from a close retention position.

Equally important to which gun you use for home defense, is developing a strategy for protecting your home, and developing specific tactics to utilize in defense of your home.

If you really want to be able to effectively defend your home and your family, it is incumbent on you to learn as much as you can regarding home defense, and proper use of the tools you intend to use for home defense. You must develop a plan and strategy and then train and practice. Just buying a gun or two and calling it good, is a piss poor way to think of yourself as being adequately prepared. You are simply deluding yourself to think otherwise. Knowledge and training doesn't happen through osmosis. It takes a considerable amount of time, expense and effort to learn how to do it right. It all comes down to how serious you are about truly protecting your family, and just how much you value your life?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Yes, a Glock 19 is always a good choice for defence of one's person & home.

No a Glock 19 is not too big to conceal. Think IWB Holsters.

Is a GLOCK 19 a good choice??
    Uhhh, ummm...YES!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser1941 View Post
    I have been doing a lot of research on a hand gun for protection for my family and home. In this day and age I feel it is more important than very to own a gun. I am new to guns and looking for some advise? Looking online and talking with people, I have heard a lot of good things about a Glock 19 , but wonder if this is a good choice for my wife?. Seems as tho this gun is a little expensive(don't know = new). What other guns are good and reliable with a lower price. I know you get what you pay for. I don't have the money now for a gun, but have a 1941 mauser in mint condition( a friend said this gun has been shot no more than a dozen times and no marks on gun at all including wood handle and hostel almost no wear) and have confirmed all markings on gun to be correct. I don't know if this gun has been shot since = don't know when and wonder if it would be reliable. Seems to me as this gun would be better with a true collector ( looking online a gun not in this condition are bringing very close to $1000.00. Looking to maybe sell this gun and get a Glock 19 (or other suggestions) and ahhh maybe a new water heater for the house LOL LOL = not really tho,( it's winter and hot water is good) or maybe another gun for me or my wife to carry. Does anyone know the laws in Pa. for carrying a pistol??? Is a Glock 19 too big to conceal or what other suggestion might you give me??? Sorry for going on soo long = have alot to learn. Thanks

My wife hates autos. She prefers the oldschool wheelgun over anything. Nothing wrong with 9mm in IMO. She thinks to run for one of my k98 mausers but forgets to realize a rifle is NOT a good home defense weapon especially in an apartment complex. Since you're from Pittsburgh I am HOPING saying this goes well with GO PENZ!!!!!

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    You can't do much better for reliability than a Glock. It is a good choice.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links