To protect my family and home = Is a Glock 19 a good choice??

This is a discussion on To protect my family and home = Is a Glock 19 a good choice?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been doing a lot of research on a hand gun for protection for my family and home. In this day and age I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question To protect my family and home = Is a Glock 19 a good choice??

I have been doing a lot of research on a hand gun for protection for my family and home. In this day and age I feel it is more important than very to own a gun. I am new to guns and looking for some advise? Looking online and talking with people, I have heard a lot of good things about a Glock 19 , but wonder if this is a good choice for my wife?. Seems as tho this gun is a little expensive(don't know = new). What other guns are good and reliable with a lower price. I know you get what you pay for. I don't have the money now for a gun, but have a 1941 mauser in mint condition( a friend said this gun has been shot no more than a dozen times and no marks on gun at all including wood handle and hostel almost no wear) and have confirmed all markings on gun to be correct. I don't know if this gun has been shot since = don't know when and wonder if it would be reliable. Seems to me as this gun would be better with a true collector ( looking online a gun not in this condition are bringing very close to $1000.00. Looking to maybe sell this gun and get a Glock 19 (or other suggestions) and ahhh maybe a new water heater for the house LOL LOL = not really tho,( it's winter and hot water is good) or maybe another gun for me or my wife to carry. Does anyone know the laws in Pa. for carrying a pistol??? Is a Glock 19 too big to conceal or what other suggestion might you give me??? Sorry for going on soo long = have alot to learn. Thanks

Not sure the laws in PA i do like the G19 its probably the best frame size from glock not to big to cc but not to small to enjoy shooting and be accurate with. Plus if your 41 mauser is a Luger which i suspect it probably is then yall have something with a very similar grip design the contour that is. Best of luck and if you can pictures of the 41 would be great. you wont go wrong with a glock

Personally, I would go with a Glock 23 at home and a Glock 27 for CC.
    I don't always carry two concealed S&W 500's.........JUST KIDDING!

Thanks it's not a luger but a Hsc. It's seems as tho a Glock is a good choice. Can a woman be comfortable with it. I worry more about my wife and family than me. Is the Glock larger than the Hsc or about the same size? Can you wear a Glock and be somewhat concealed. Will take some pics and post. THANKS

I also live in PA, in the northeast. If you plan on concealed carry, you need a carry permit, easy to get assuming you have a clean record. Open carry is legal in PA without a permit, but traveling in a car is difficult because of the laws dealing with transporting a weapon without your permit.
    As for the G19, it's not any more expensive then similar guns, you will hear people who hate them and people who love them, but you can't deny that they are some of the most reliable guns ever made. The new Gen 4's don't seem to suffer from the issues they had when first released, my gen 4 g19 has none of the issues people used to complain about... Hold them, fire them, and pick what your comfortable with and can shoot accurately.
    This is my 19 in a Galco king tuck inside the waistband holster, very easy to conceal, extremely comfortable, and I have a nicely sized firearm and 15 rounds on my person, couldn't be happier.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357621267.642492.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357621279.709013.jpg
    ^Note, those are aftermarket Truglo TFO night sights

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks excuse me for not being knowledgeable, but is a Glock 23 a 45. Also is the 27 a 45 but smaller? What is the advantage to a 23 to a 19?? Wouldn't a 19 take someone down or is a 23 better and why? Thanks

You can do a lot worse, then the GLOCK, that's certain. Many GLOCK owners on here, so you'll get your validation. There are a few others that are a bit less expensive, but still good quality. Best advice anyone can give you is find an indoor range where they rent guns, and you and your wife spend some time, and a little money handling and shooting a variety of handguns. You'll be able to narrow it down best that way.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Ymmv however my GF loves the 19 the 23 is the same size as the 19 but 40 cal its an excellant gun but for starting out and for her use i personally would recommend the 19. concealing the 19 is very easy with the proper clothing IWB like with the king tuk is a good choice as is wearing outside the waist band in a good holster wearing a over shirt or long t is also a good choice with a few wore drobe changes any size person could carry one concealed

Advise is good from a Glock owner and seems as this gun is close to the size of my mauser hsc = looks like a good choice to me. Just wondering if this would be good for my wife? What do you think of a bigger caliper gun. Needed or not needed? Thanks again

Good Advise!!!!

I got Glock's I got S&W M&P's it's a toss up to me. YMWV

G19's/M&P9, G26/M&P9c > You can't go wrong either way.

OR...If you have the $$$.$$ look at a Sig 226.

Please explain a Sig 226 ? Caliper and size. Who makes this and where can I go online to research?? Thanks

I am of the school of thought that shot placement is key a miss with a 44mag isnt nearly as effective as a hit with a 22. Id recommend 9mm its relatively cheap ammunition so you can get lots of practice. as far as a size comparison im not sure the hsc is not a weapon in which im familiar with. With good quality ammo and accurate hits its plenty potent and not so potent as to have to much recoil for the two of you.

Sig is a top choice you can find alot of reviews online and here there german made fine weapons however there double action first shot which means the first shot and second are a different trigger pull meaning there a little harder to get used to. i own a sig that i love the p226 is primarily 9mm
    there generally pretty price though

That's was what I was thinking. Bigger isn't always better. A 9 should do the job and both of us would probably be more comfortable with. Thanks = learning a lot tonight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links