FIRING PIN PISTOL QUESTION: How to store unloaded gun the best way?

This is a discussion on FIRING PIN PISTOL QUESTION: How to store unloaded gun the best way? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ok this question might be totally crazy but here: i am overly anal and cautious about spring wearing out from anything to buffer springs, shotgun ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By cmdrdredd
  • 1 Post By rigel42

Thread: FIRING PIN PISTOL QUESTION: How to store unloaded gun the best way?

ok this question might be totally crazy but here:

i am overly anal and cautious about spring wearing out from anything to buffer springs, shotgun shell tube springs, mag springs, etc. normally when my SR9 is at rest, the firing pin is cocked even though it's unchambered because it cocks the last time I fire it or pulling the slide back after cleaning it will put the pin back in the cocked position.

if I dry fire it (which i do after cleaning to make sure all parts are properly together), it drops the pin and stays dropped. which position is most relaxing for the springs inside? when the pin is dropped, does that mean the firing pin spring is relaxed? does this cause more pressure on the trigger springs because the trigger is then locked back?

i know, i'm crazy

A spring does not wear out from compression. It wears out through repeated compression and expansion. I have not unloaded my Glock 23 in over a year and a half now (except to go to the range and to clean it). Never a problem.
    aus71383 and pfries like this.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Laws are restrictive but sometimes necessary to maintain a civil society. Rights are nonrestrictive but are always necessary to maintain a free society.

You're over thinking things. If springs make you paranoid, buy replacements and switch them out twice a year. People will still think you are crazy, but you'll have fresh springs. Best part is you don't have to worry about a firing pin drops. hammer cocks, or loaded magazine stuff.
    aus71383 likes this.

Yep. Work wears a spring.

Austin

How to store unloaded gun the best way?
    Loaded in the safe....
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Thinking of getting a set of backup springs. have you guys ever experienced a spring give out ever?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Recoil and mag springs are most likely to wear out after a lot of use. The others may very well last a lifetime. So far, the only ones I've ever changed were recoil springs, and that was precautionary, not for failure issues.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Recoil and mag springs are most likely to wear out after a lot of use. The others may very well last a lifetime. So far, the only ones I've ever changed were recoil springs, and that was precautionary, not for failure issues.
    I just got a backup recoil spring/guide rod for pistol. Only 5 bucks from Ruger (58 bucks for my friend's beretta!)

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    You're over thinking things. If springs make you paranoid, buy replacements and switch them out twice a year. People will still think you are crazy, but you'll have fresh springs. Best part is you don't have to worry about a firing pin drops. hammer cocks, or loaded magazine stuff.
    I definitely agree with the first part.

As to the second, unless you're really quite competent with disassembling and reassembling your gun, there's a greater risk of your gun not firing when you need it due to improper reassembly than there is from a weak spring. If you do adopt this approach, then you really should do it just before you head out to the range so you can verify that your gun works correctly.

Typically, guns don't stop working due to weakened springs, but the manner in which they work changes. Empties get tossed further or the slide recoils more vigorously, shotguns feed more slowly, things like that. It's almost never a 'binary' condition where goes from working to not working.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

thanks for the info!

i still like having back up stuff JUST IN CASE

so if shells are popping out farther than normal, it's time to replace recoil spring?

Links