NRA's online presence

This is a discussion on NRA's online presence within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Why is it that the NRA doesn't have more of a presence in online gun forums? There are a lot of experts/professionals on different forums ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By NMB
  • 1 Post By KoriBustard
  • 1 Post By Echo_Four
  • 2 Post By Rob99VMI04
  • 1 Post By Rob99VMI04

Thread: NRA's online presence

NRA's online presence

Why is it that the NRA doesn't have more of a presence in online gun forums?

There are a lot of experts/professionals on different forums throughout the web, but I have never come across the NRA.

There's no shortage of members online, and there's always a debate to be had with the NRA involved in the subject matter. There are so many gun owners that are not members, so why aren't there official people online to answer questions and dispel myths?

Recently, a news report stated that, according to polls, the NRA was out of step with their members. The article was trying to say that NRA members wanted more gun control, though I don't buy that statement. If the NRA is out of step with me, it's because they acquiesce too much.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

2. Remove Ads

Hopefully, because they are busy fighting the good fight.

Re: NRA's online presence

Quote Originally Posted by OJDerrick View Post
    Hopefully, because they are busy fighting the good fight.
    I don't specifically mean in light of recent events, but rather all the time.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Why is it that the NRA doesn't have more of a presence in online gun forums?

There are a lot of experts/professionals on different forums throughout the web, but I have never come across the NRA.

There's no shortage of members online, and there's always a debate to be had with the NRA involved in the subject matter. There are so many gun owners that are not members, so why aren't there official people online to answer questions and dispel myths?

Recently, a news report stated that, according to polls, the NRA was out of step with their members. The article was trying to say that NRA members wanted more gun control, though I don't buy that statement. If the NRA is out of step with me, it's because they acquiesce too much.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    They actually have plenty of presence on forums. Think back on the NRA motto they used in advertisements. Different people, all saying "I'm the NRA". If your a member, you represent the organization, good or bad.
    Exacto and NMB like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

If they have a presence online why don't they update their website? With all these donations and subscriptions they are getting you would think they would be responding everyday coming up with new plans and ideas. Getting more grassroots going. It seems like we are more effective here than what they've been accomplishing.

NMB
    I am the NRA and the NRA is me.

I dont want them sending me stupid emails, and trolling the internet. I want them funding campaigns for politicians who support the 2A, thats what I pay them for.
    justintimeagain likes this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I think that the larger an organization gets (in terms of members) the more watered down their public relations become because they must represent so many constituencies. Just look at the range of opinions here on DC.com. They are fundamentally a political and lobbyist organization and they are well entrenched in DC politics. If you disagree with the NRA, as I often do, find and support local or other organizations that are a better fit for your opinions. However, I will continue to support the NRA because they are our strongest voice.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

VIP Member
    The NRA doesn't have a ton of paid employees. Those that they do have are overworked as it is, they don't have time to sit on forums and argue with those that don't understand that in Washington you can't get everything you want every time you want it. The "I am the NRA" is true. The NRA is a member driven organization. Every one of us that is a member of the NRA and on the forums is doing the work for the NRA. Some of us do more than others. I'm also a Frontlines volunteer and an election volunteer coordinator and a member of the NRA's speaker's bureau. Other than the few paid employees the NRA has there aren't many that are more in touch with and a part of the NRA than I am... and I spend far too much time on this and other forums.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by KoriBustard View Post
    I think that the larger an organization gets (in terms of members) the more watered down their public relations become because they must represent so many constituencies. Just look at the range of opinions here on DC.com. They are fundamentally a political and lobbyist organization and they are well entrenched in DC politics. If you disagree with the NRA, as I often do, find and support local or other organizations that are a better fit for your opinions. However, I will continue to support the NRA because they are our strongest voice.
    Not exactly! The NRA was started in 1871 as a group focused on training and marksmanship in defense of the country. It has continued to this day to become the largest and only nationally recognized civilian training organization in the country having around 80-90,000 certified firearms trainers. Those trainers touch hundreds of thousands of people a year through training programs. Shortly after the founding principles you saw the competitions side come about. Now you have 100's of programs focusing on Self Defense, Competition, Firearms Awareness Programs, Hunting programs, Women Programs, Youth programs, Range programs. If you have a kid in Boyscouts and they shoot an Airgun, .22 or a shotgun, its because of an NRA instructor. 4H, Royal Rangers, Rotc all utilize instructors from the NRA and many of them get money from FONRA. Friends of NRA or FONRA gives 100's of thousands of dollars into each state to help build ranges, restore ranges, build ranges, The interesting part is that is only one of the 100 plus programs the NRA has. The NRA as folks have come to know it today NRA ILA didn't actually come about until the 70's. NRA has 14,000 affiliated clubs. Whether you like it or not, if you are using a gun at a range, training at an event, applying for a permit there is a very good chance that there was a large amount of time and effort and cold hard cash put forth directly by NRA to allow that to happen.
    jbum and justintimeagain like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I'm going to take a guess that they are out of touch with their membership, but not in the way it was intended by the liberals.
    My mother who is around 80 was complaining that the phone book is shrinking fast. Many local businesses don't even take out yellow page adds any more, and those that do will refer you to their web page. Its getting to where anyone who is not electronically connected is left out. Her cousins that are just younger than her send Emails back and forth, share pics, share faxed messages, etc. Almost never do they send real mail any more. Most people have face book pages, or belong to some other social media.
    Its my guess that the NRA is in that same group that's being left behind. Just like any other group, You have to keep up with the new blood to teach them the traditions of the past. DR

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I'm going to take a guess that they are out of touch with their membership,
    I have been a member here since 2006, and check this along with other forums daily.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Its my guess that the NRA is in that same group that's being left behind. Just like any other group, You have to keep up with the new blood to teach them the traditions of the past. DR
    Not to be mean or condescending, have you actually looked any of this up? Have you look at the numerous Facebook pages out there, Training, Youth programs.
    NRA has an entire media department they run the NRA Blog which is updated daily NRAblog | Inside NRA's training, competitions, education and museums.
    Echo_Four likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I have been a member here since 2006, and check this along with other forums daily.

Not to be mean or condescending, have you actually looked any of this up? Have you look at the numerous Facebook pages out there, Training, Youth programs.
    NRA has an entire media department they run the NRA Blog which is updated daily NRAblog | Inside NRA's training, competitions, education and museums.
    I'd have to say No, Everything Ive ever asked for from the NRA has come in paper form, and through the snail mail. I have not looked lately, but I found their web sight out of date and hard to navigate. But its been at least two years since Ive been there. Ill have to check again. DR

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Not exactly! The NRA was started in 1871 as a group focused on training and marksmanship in defense of the country. It has continued to this day to become the largest and only nationally recognized civilian training organization in the country having around 80-90,000 certified firearms trainers. Those trainers touch hundreds of thousands of people a year through training programs. Shortly after the founding principles you saw the competitions side come about. Now you have 100's of programs focusing on Self Defense, Competition, Firearms Awareness Programs, Hunting programs, Women Programs, Youth programs, Range programs. If you have a kid in Boyscouts and they shoot an Airgun, .22 or a shotgun, its because of an NRA instructor. 4H, Royal Rangers, Rotc all utilize instructors from the NRA and many of them get money from FONRA. Friends of NRA or FONRA gives 100's of thousands of dollars into each state to help build ranges, restore ranges, build ranges, The interesting part is that is only one of the 100 plus programs the NRA has. The NRA as folks have come to know it today NRA ILA didn't actually come about until the 70's. NRA has 14,000 affiliated clubs. Whether you like it or not, if you are using a gun at a range, training at an event, applying for a permit there is a very good chance that there was a large amount of time and effort and cold hard cash put forth directly by NRA to allow that to happen.
    I agree with everything you said. Not sure why you said "not exactly" though. Did you disagree with something specifically? I've participated in 4 or 5 NRA sponsored training programs and am a certified NRA RSO. So I clearly support the NRA, I was just saying that sometimes their "political" message gets watered down due to the many things they support and the many viewpoints of a diverse membership that they try to represent. This was in defense of the NRA and not as a criticism of it.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

Links