Quick question

This is a discussion on Quick question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hypothetically speaking, someone has a id and resides in nyc purchases a gun elsewhere. Can he keep it in his summer home which has no ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Quick question

Quick question

Hypothetically speaking, someone has a id and resides in nyc purchases a gun elsewhere. Can he keep it in his summer home which has no gun laws (ie:pensylvania) despite the fact that his real id is for nyc and has no gunlisences in nyc.

2. Remove Ads

You may want to use this resource...Concealed Carry - Resources, Maps, Forums, Articles - USA Carry

See 'Concealed Carry Resources' at the top...use the two maps listed for your info.

Hope that helps.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You should hire a qualified attorney to give you some legal advice about your alleged hypothetical situation.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Ill rephrase, say you live in Miami and don't have a gun permit. You have a Miami driver lisence
    You buy a rifle, can you leave it in your alaskan home since they don't have any restrictions there.

Simple yes or no

You are asking for legal advice.

Hire a qualified attorney.

They get paid to give advice on legal matters.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

You live in Pennsylvania and you want to buy a gun in Pennsylvania using your Pennsylvania ID and leave it at your Pennsylvania house? I don't see how that could cause any problems.

You also live in NYC part of the time - now things get more complicated. What percentage of the year do you live in NYC, and are you supposed to pay taxes there, or are you technically a resident of the city because of the amount of time you are there each year. If so, your Pennsylvania ID may no longer be valid. I don't know. Ask a lawyer....or look up the laws and make your own decision.

Now - if you had lived in Pennsylvania in the past, bought a gun, and left it in your PA house when you moved to NYC - I'm sure you've done nothing wrong....

Austin

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You didn't really expect a quick answer to your quick question on this forum, did you? What do Federal laws and the state laws of the hypothetical state in which you plan on keeping this alledged firearm say about nonresidents purchasing and possessing firearms? And bear in mind that each state has its individual laws on this subject.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You didn't really expect a quick answer to your quick question on this forum, did you? What do Federal laws and the state laws of the hypothetical state in which you plan on keeping this alledged firearm say about nonresidents purchasing and possessing firearms? And bear in mind that each state has its individual laws on this subject.
    I live in a city where it is banned, but i have land outside the city where its legal. Im not a 'resident of that land but would like to keep my hunting equipment there. And, yes i was hoping for a quick answer

Quote Originally Posted by Question View Post
    I live in a city where it is banned, but i have land outside the city where its legal. Im not a 'resident of that land but would like to keep my hunting equipment there. And, yes i was hoping for a quick answer
    Sadly, there are very few quick answers, and fortunately, most of the people on this forum are well aware that giving out legal opinions lies in the purview of attorneys who are paid to research those questions and give relevant opinions.

I can safely say you need to speak with an attorney or at the least, contact the relevand agencies in the areas you are considering.

See, all that and I didn't even have to stay at a Holiday Inn to figure it out.

No one here wants to give you an opinion that may be incorrect and cause you to involve yourself in some kind of legal infraction.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quick answers from unqualified internet strangers who are free from the caution of prudent professionalism may well help you make a decision. But those same answers can't be used as a legal defense when the result of your decision turns out to be a crime. Good Luck with your Pretzel Logic! Oh!...and welcome to the forum.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Thanks. I figured one person on this forum may have come to similar circumstances

Just a quick reminder of the "Forum Rules" you agreed to follow when you joined this forum...

Forum Rules:

10. Discussion of illegal activities, except in reporting the actions of others, is not allowed. Discussion for the purpose of promoting these activities may subject the poster to being banned. Admission of illegal activity on your part will be removed. Anyone quoting or referencing deleted or edited posts will have their posts edited/removed as well. In short, DO NOT use this forum to admit to breaking the law, even in your distant past.
    Question likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Question View Post
    Thanks. I figured one person on this forum may have come to similar circumstances
    You're welcome. And I'm sure someone has, and they took it...to their attorney.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

A permit to in nyc takes over 6 months, and i want to hunt, nowish

I want to aquire something which i will keep on land outside of the city

So, i suppose everyone here lives outside big cities

If you look at my location, you'll see I know NOTHING about living in the city. I have to go towards town...just to HUNT! Heck, I have critters ask me for directions.
    1MoreGoodGuy and aus71383 like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links