Looking to modify my Ruger 10/22. Opinions/Help appreciated. - Page 2

Looking to modify my Ruger 10/22. Opinions/Help appreciated.

This is a discussion on Looking to modify my Ruger 10/22. Opinions/Help appreciated. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ditto. Can't even find .22 ammo at a decent price right now. And I could use a couple more BX25 mags too :-(...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Looking to modify my Ruger 10/22. Opinions/Help appreciated.

Ditto. Can't even find .22 ammo at a decent price right now. And I could use a couple more BX25 mags too :-(
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

all your ammoz and magz are mine.

I've got 5 10/22s with various things done to 'em. The basic gun is reliable enough, but needs improvements to the trigger and the sights. I'll join the chorus and sing the praises of rimfirecentral.com as the single best repository of 10/22 info around.

So you do the trigger - DIY or drop in parts or a whole-hog Kidd trigger group. If you still have decent eyes and you won't be trying to snipe chipmunks at 100 yards, the Tech Sights are worth every nickel. One of my carbines is set up as a "Liberty Training Rifle" for Appleseed events, and the Garand-like Tech Sights are leaps and bounds better than the stock units. Of course, it's a simple matter to step up to a scope, and 3-9x40 is a popular type. You can spend from $50 to $1000 for glass. One of mine has a Simmons .22 Mag (OK, but inferior glass may give you an eye headache if you shoot for hours), and the other a Bushnell Elite 3200 (much nicer, but a lot more expensive).

Barrels: I've got two with Green Mountain barrels. Here's the tradeoff - the GM and many other aftermarket barrels will give you improved accuracy, but the happens due to a tighter-cut chamber (match or Bentz). Good for accuracy, but you will encounter stuck cases from time to time. Not many, but you'll notice the difference. A foil to that is an improved extractor and machine work on the bolt to square the face and set the headspace. And once you invest in one of these nice barrels, forget about ever using Stingers (not that I'm big on them) - the Stinger case is longer than that of a standard Long Rifle and will hammer against the match chamber you just sprang for. But yes, my GM barrels cut my groups down substantially, and I think anyone could pick up my guns and crank out sub-half-inch groups at 50 yards with almost any ammo. A couple things to note if you do replace your barrel. First, anything over 18" long actually starts to slow the bullet down, so skip the 20-inchers and longer. Next - bull barrels are heavy and grossly upset the balance and handiness of the 10/22 carbine. My 'nice' Sporter with scope and 18" fluted bull barrel balances just in front of the trigger guard, which is ideal if the gun will ever be carried in the field. The other bull-barreled one has a 20" bbl and a Hogue stock, and it's so front-heavy it's pretty much confined to bench shooting.

So head on over to RFC and do your research!

PS - re-reading your original post, I don't think the BSA scope is much of an improvement over the Simmons you have right now. Check out the Mueller APV for an affordable upgrade in glass.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Lots of good info in this thread. I'm on the fence about getting a 10/22 or waiting a bit longer and getting a decent lever action. Just can't decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Crashoften View Post
    Lots of good info in this thread. I'm on the fence about getting a 10/22 or waiting a bit longer and getting a decent lever action. Just can't decide.
    I think you'll find the 10/22s are cheaper than lever-actions, but you really need one of each.
    phreddy likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I never claimed to be able to make Volquartsen quality parts with a Dremel tool. I said it looks and works the same. Using a Dremel or files to grind down the point in the factory bolt catch/release (outlined in red) is a known modification to make it function like the aftermarket auto releases. I came across the mod one day and, being one that likes to tinker with things, thought I would try it. Worst case scenario, I would have only been out the $10 or so to order one from Volquartsen.
    Could you post the instructions for this MOD please!

RT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by 1010 View Post
    Could you post the instructions for this MOD please!
    It's pretty straightforward actually. Basically, you just grind off the point in the stock bolt lock then give that area a slight radius. I used the Dremel with a small grinding stone to grind the point flat. To get the radius and clean up any burrs left over from the initial grinding, I used a small half round file. I just referenced a picture of a Volquartsen bolt release and tried to make the cutout in mine mimic theirs as close as I could.

Here is a link with other instructions in case mine were a bit vague. They're not terribly detailed either, but at least there are a couple of pictures showing what needs to be removed and a finished product. DIY Bolt Release Hope that helps.

ETA: The whole thing can be done with files if you don't have access to a Dremel or other power tool to grind with. Also, it is helpful to have a vice or something similar in which to secure the part for grinding and filing.

One of the first things I did was update the bolt to a cnc bolt, on top of that I got a custom one to say Zombie Killer on it. They have different options you can see on JWH CUSTOM | Laser Engraved Ruger 10/22 Bolts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links