Looking to modify my Ruger 10/22. Opinions/Help appreciated.

This is a discussion on Looking to modify my Ruger 10/22. Opinions/Help appreciated. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Iíve been thinking about getting a new stock and a bull barrel for my Ruger 10/22. For the stock, I am considering the Archangel Deluxe ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Looking to modify my Ruger 10/22. Opinions/Help appreciated.

RT [OP]

Iíve been thinking about getting a new stock and a bull barrel for my Ruger 10/22. For the stock, I am considering the Archangel Deluxe Target Rifle Stock System. It looks like it could work well for target shooting and for small game hunting (rabbits, squirrels, etc) as well. Also, my thinking is that the pistol type grip might help give a more balanced feel with the much heavier bull barrel. Does anyone have one of these? Any problems or concerns with it?

I have a couple of options in mind for the barrel, but would like some input as to the quality. One is from Green Mountain and the other is from E.R. Shaw. How do the E.R. Shaw barrels stack up against the Green Mountain barrels? I have heard a lot of people speak highly of the GM barrels, but havenít heard much either way about the other. Also, would going with a 16Ē or 18Ē barrel versus the 20Ē to cut a little of the weight be very detrimental to accuracy?

I am also considering a new scope for the setup. I came across this BSA Sweet .22 the other day, and it looked like a pretty good deal. Currently I have a Simmons 22 Mag scope on the rifle. Would it be worth it to get the BSA or should I just stick with the Simmons?

I'm working on a limited budget, so if anyone has any other suggestions, please try to keep them around the price ranges of what I already listed.

2. Remove Ads

Have you done anything with the factory trigger? I ask because that's the 1st order of business when improving on the 10/22. You can look up U-tube videos for a home-job, or look at a replacement trigger. If it was me I'd do that before any barrel or stock change.
    phreddy likes this.

First thing to do with any 10/22. Like the above poster said, it is all in the trigger. You can get some good drop in trigger assembly that are crisp and clean, and will provide the greatest improvement in how it fires and in accuracy. Volquartsen has some good options.

Only after you do the trigger should you consider moving on, if you want to change the stock, ask yourself if you are going to be changing the barrel .920 match barrel, if so you can get a stock that will fit that barrel, like what you showed above. Just remember that items you showed are HEAVY, the archangel stock and the .920 heavy barrels are heavy, it won't be totting around and plinking. I have several 10/22's with almost an identical setup that you are talking about. The only original part on that 10/22 is the receiver. But it is all secondary to the trigger.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Bullpup stock with fluted, heavy barrel.

If you are truly looking to mod/customize your 10/22, check out rimfirecental.com! RFC is a forum for ALLLLLLL things rimfire and they have a huge section devoted solely to the 10/22. If you make it over there you can find me there under the same username. RFC is where I did all the research for my past and upcoming projects involving my 10/22!
    -BTO-

VIP Member
    2x on the trigger, the Simmons scope is ok. Just shot one over the weekend. I have Tech sites on my Ruger. I have the stock barrel and at 25 yards shoots a 1/2" group. 3/4 group at 50 yards then gets larger at 100 depending on the ammo. The factory trigger is horrible. I can't believe how nice my Volquartson trigger was compared to the stock one. When I want to shoot tight groups at 100 + yards I use my bolt action, for less than 50 yards I don't see the value of a new barrel. ( I am one who can get a free one from a barrel maker ).

Other mods on my include a speed bolt package and Titanium bolt handle, larger mag release handle, bolt hold open/ release (you don't have to push it to release the bolt, just rack the bolt back and it will close, just like an M1A.)

Funky is RIGHT! rimfirecentral is your ticket to 10/22 nirvana. IHMO, forget the Archangel for hunting or target work. It's simply a toy that won't keep you happy very long. I'd MUCH rather have a Hogue overmold. You won't gain much from the Simmons to BSA swap, so save your money. Buy a Volquartsen or Power Custom trigger pack before you do anything else. Be careful 'cause 10/22 mods can often accumulate to +$400 before you're paying close attention. If you're concerned about bull barrel weight, look at Tactical Solutions and Whistle Pig barrels. Have fun but stay realistic. Read, study & decide before you buy ANYTHING, 'cause it's likely that you can benefit from someone else's experience!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

RT [OP]
    I've already done a few things to enhance the trigger that ended up getting it to around a 3 pound pull, with a crisp break and short, smooth travel. That helped quite a bit, but I noticed there is a little too much slop with regard to the fit of the receiver in the factory stock for my liking. I had thought about bedding it, but I really prefer a pistol type grip or thumbhole stock on that rifle for some reason and couldn't see putting that much work into a stock I'd never really cared for all that much to begin with.

VIP Member
    Also they make recoil buffers for very liitle expense.

RT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Also they make recoil buffers for very liitle expense.
    Other mods on my include a speed bolt package and Titanium bolt handle, larger mag release handle, bolt hold open/ release (you don't have to push it to release the bolt, just rack the bolt back and it will close, just like an M1A.)
    I'm sort of a DIY type. I made my own recoil buffer from a 1/4" nylon bolt cut down to fit the receiver for a fraction of the cost of a manufactured one. I believe it cost less than $1 and has shown no signs of wear over the course of a few thousand rounds. I also DIY'ed the bolt release by using a Dremel to remove the little hump, and it works like a charm and looks just like the one made by Volquartsen.

The tolerance slop (receiver to trigger) can be easily shimmed. Power Custom makes a nice shim pack. BTW, if you can make Volquartsen-quality parts with a Dremel tool, then you can cut your own from Autozone shim stock. When your done, we'll run yours against my Volquartsen factory Superlite & see how things work out. Bring your wallet.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

RT [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    The tolerance slop (receiver to trigger) can be easily shimmed. Power Custom makes a nice shim pack. BTW, if you can make Volquartsen-quality parts with a Dremel tool, then you can cut your own from Autozone shim stock. When your done, we'll run yours against my Volquartsen factory Superlite & see how things work out. Bring your wallet.
    I never claimed to be able to make Volquartsen quality parts with a Dremel tool. I said it looks and works the same. Using a Dremel or files to grind down the point in the factory bolt catch/release (outlined in red) is a known modification to make it function like the aftermarket auto releases. I came across the mod one day and, being one that likes to tinker with things, thought I would try it. Worst case scenario, I would have only been out the $10 or so to order one from Volquartsen.
    Attached Images

I hate to be the party pooper- but for now, I say buy magazines.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    I never claimed to be able to make Volquartsen quality parts with a Dremel tool.
    Relax RT, I know you weren't making any wild claims, I was just ribbin' you! My humor is, admittedly, sometimes a little more rough & tumble than some of the more refined & civilized gents around here, but it's really meant to encourage your continued tinkering. Heck, I think anyone with a Dremel (I like the industrial-strength Ryobi) and a finishing nail is a Certified GLOCK Armorer!
    miller_man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    I hate to be the party pooper- but for now, I say buy magazines.
    +100

Now if only I could find ammo. Lol

-BTO-
    -BTO-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links