Defensive Carry banner

Looking to modify my Ruger 10/22. Opinions/Help appreciated.

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  zombie_killer 
#1 ·
I’ve been thinking about getting a new stock and a bull barrel for my Ruger 10/22. For the stock, I am considering the Archangel Deluxe Target Rifle Stock System. It looks like it could work well for target shooting and for small game hunting (rabbits, squirrels, etc) as well. Also, my thinking is that the pistol type grip might help give a more balanced feel with the much heavier bull barrel. Does anyone have one of these? Any problems or concerns with it?

I have a couple of options in mind for the barrel, but would like some input as to the quality. One is from Green Mountain and the other is from E.R. Shaw. How do the E.R. Shaw barrels stack up against the Green Mountain barrels? I have heard a lot of people speak highly of the GM barrels, but haven’t heard much either way about the other. Also, would going with a 16” or 18” barrel versus the 20” to cut a little of the weight be very detrimental to accuracy?

I am also considering a new scope for the setup. I came across this BSA Sweet .22 the other day, and it looked like a pretty good deal. Currently I have a Simmons 22 Mag scope on the rifle. Would it be worth it to get the BSA or should I just stick with the Simmons?

I'm working on a limited budget, so if anyone has any other suggestions, please try to keep them around the price ranges of what I already listed.

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you done anything with the factory trigger? I ask because that's the 1st order of business when improving on the 10/22. You can look up U-tube videos for a home-job, or look at a replacement trigger. If it was me I'd do that before any barrel or stock change.

#3 ·
First thing to do with any 10/22. Like the above poster said, it is all in the trigger. You can get some good drop in trigger assembly that are crisp and clean, and will provide the greatest improvement in how it fires and in accuracy. Volquartsen has some good options.

Only after you do the trigger should you consider moving on, if you want to change the stock, ask yourself if you are going to be changing the barrel .920 match barrel, if so you can get a stock that will fit that barrel, like what you showed above. Just remember that items you showed are HEAVY, the archangel stock and the .920 heavy barrels are heavy, it won't be totting around and plinking. I have several 10/22's with almost an identical setup that you are talking about. The only original part on that 10/22 is the receiver. But it is all secondary to the trigger.

#5 ·
If you are truly looking to mod/customize your 10/22, check out rimfirecental.com! RFC is a forum for ALLLLLLL things rimfire and they have a huge section devoted solely to the 10/22. If you make it over there you can find me there under the same username. RFC is where I did all the research for my past and upcoming projects involving my 10/22!

#6 ·
2x on the trigger, the Simmons scope is ok. Just shot one over the weekend. I have Tech sites on my Ruger. I have the stock barrel and at 25 yards shoots a 1/2" group. 3/4 group at 50 yards then gets larger at 100 depending on the ammo. The factory trigger is horrible. I can't believe how nice my Volquartson trigger was compared to the stock one. When I want to shoot tight groups at 100 + yards I use my bolt action, for less than 50 yards I don't see the value of a new barrel. ( I am one who can get a free one from a barrel maker ).

Other mods on my include a speed bolt package and Titanium bolt handle, larger mag release handle, bolt hold open/ release (you don't have to push it to release the bolt, just rack the bolt back and it will close, just like an M1A.)

#7 ·
Funky is RIGHT! rimfirecentral is your ticket to 10/22 nirvana. IHMO, forget the Archangel for hunting or target work. It's simply a toy that won't keep you happy very long. I'd MUCH rather have a Hogue overmold. You won't gain much from the Simmons to BSA swap, so save your money. Buy a Volquartsen or Power Custom trigger pack before you do anything else. Be careful 'cause 10/22 mods can often accumulate to +$400 before you're paying close attention. If you're concerned about bull barrel weight, look at Tactical Solutions and Whistle Pig barrels. Have fun but stay realistic. Read, study & decide before you buy ANYTHING, 'cause it's likely that you can benefit from someone else's experience!

#8 ·
I've already done a few things to enhance the trigger that ended up getting it to around a 3 pound pull, with a crisp break and short, smooth travel. That helped quite a bit, but I noticed there is a little too much slop with regard to the fit of the receiver in the factory stock for my liking. I had thought about bedding it, but I really prefer a pistol type grip or thumbhole stock on that rifle for some reason and couldn't see putting that much work into a stock I'd never really cared for all that much to begin with.

#10 ·
Other mods on my include a speed bolt package and Titanium bolt handle, larger mag release handle, bolt hold open/ release (you don't have to push it to release the bolt, just rack the bolt back and it will close, just like an M1A.)
I'm sort of a DIY type. I made my own recoil buffer from a 1/4" nylon bolt cut down to fit the receiver for a fraction of the cost of a manufactured one. I believe it cost less than $1 and has shown no signs of wear over the course of a few thousand rounds. I also DIY'ed the bolt release by using a Dremel to remove the little hump, and it works like a charm and looks just like the one made by Volquartsen.

#11 ·
The tolerance slop (receiver to trigger) can be easily shimmed. Power Custom makes a nice shim pack. BTW, if you can make Volquartsen-quality parts with a Dremel tool, then you can cut your own from Autozone shim stock. When your done, we'll run yours against my Volquartsen factory Superlite & see how things work out. Bring your wallet. :wink:

#12 ·
I never claimed to be able to make Volquartsen quality parts with a Dremel tool. I said it looks and works the same. Using a Dremel or files to grind down the point in the factory bolt catch/release (outlined in red) is a known modification to make it function like the aftermarket auto releases. I came across the mod one day and, being one that likes to tinker with things, thought I would try it. Worst case scenario, I would have only been out the $10 or so to order one from Volquartsen.

Attachments

#16 ·
Ditto. Can't even find .22 ammo at a decent price right now. And I could use a couple more BX25 mags too :-(

#18 ·
I've got 5 10/22s with various things done to 'em. The basic gun is reliable enough, but needs improvements to the trigger and the sights. I'll join the chorus and sing the praises of rimfirecentral.com as the single best repository of 10/22 info around.

So you do the trigger - DIY or drop in parts or a whole-hog Kidd trigger group. If you still have decent eyes and you won't be trying to snipe chipmunks at 100 yards, the Tech Sights are worth every nickel. One of my carbines is set up as a "Liberty Training Rifle" for Appleseed events, and the Garand-like Tech Sights are leaps and bounds better than the stock units. Of course, it's a simple matter to step up to a scope, and 3-9x40 is a popular type. You can spend from $50 to $1000 for glass. One of mine has a Simmons .22 Mag (OK, but inferior glass may give you an eye headache if you shoot for hours), and the other a Bushnell Elite 3200 (much nicer, but a lot more expensive).

Barrels: I've got two with Green Mountain barrels. Here's the tradeoff - the GM and many other aftermarket barrels will give you improved accuracy, but the happens due to a tighter-cut chamber (match or Bentz). Good for accuracy, but you will encounter stuck cases from time to time. Not many, but you'll notice the difference. A foil to that is an improved extractor and machine work on the bolt to square the face and set the headspace. And once you invest in one of these nice barrels, forget about ever using Stingers (not that I'm big on them) - the Stinger case is longer than that of a standard Long Rifle and will hammer against the match chamber you just sprang for. But yes, my GM barrels cut my groups down substantially, and I think anyone could pick up my guns and crank out sub-half-inch groups at 50 yards with almost any ammo. A couple things to note if you do replace your barrel. First, anything over 18" long actually starts to slow the bullet down, so skip the 20-inchers and longer. Next - bull barrels are heavy and grossly upset the balance and handiness of the 10/22 carbine. My 'nice' Sporter with scope and 18" fluted bull barrel balances just in front of the trigger guard, which is ideal if the gun will ever be carried in the field. The other bull-barreled one has a 20" bbl and a Hogue stock, and it's so front-heavy it's pretty much confined to bench shooting.

So head on over to RFC and do your research!

PS - re-reading your original post, I don't think the BSA scope is much of an improvement over the Simmons you have right now. Check out the Mueller APV for an affordable upgrade in glass.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.