REAL and ACCURATE Firearm Statistics

This is a discussion on REAL and ACCURATE Firearm Statistics within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With all of the knee-jerk panicking, politicizing, hypothesizing, and incredibly-horrendously inaccurate information flying from the media and politicians in all directions ...I wanted to find ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: REAL and ACCURATE Firearm Statistics

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar

With all of the knee-jerk panicking, politicizing, hypothesizing, and incredibly-horrendously inaccurate information flying from the media and politicians in all directions ...I wanted to find some real truths. I did some digging on the Center of Disease Control's website for the year 2010 & 2011's causes of death statistics in all areas and how they relate to those caused by firearms. The information that I gathered is pretty accurate - minus a couple of assumptions from statistics that were not counted by the CDC. Feel free to do a little research and chime in on any mistakes that I may have made or to just make sure the information is as correct as possible. To the ill-informed, the results may be quite shocking.

Mortality (Source: CDC) National Vital Statistics Reports
    Source: 2011 Preliminary Data http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_06.pdf
    &
    FASTSTATS - Deaths and Mortality

Total deaths from all causes in the year 2011...............2,513,171

Leading Causes of Mortality and number of deaths in US:
    - Diseases of heart (I00-I09,I11,I13,I20-I51).......................596,339
    - Malignant neoplasms (C00-C97)......................................575,313
    - Chronic lower respiratory diseases (J40-J47).....................143,382
    - Cerebrovascular diseases (I60-I69).................................128,931
    - Accidents (unintentional injuries) (V01-X59,Y85-Y86)2,3.....122,777
    - Alzheimer's disease (G30)............................................. ..84,691
    - Diabetes mellitus (E10-E14)............................................73 ,282
    - Influenza and pneumonia (J09-J18)4.................................53,667
    - Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis \....................45,731
    - Intentional self-harm (suicide) (*U03,X60-X84,Y87.0)2........38,285
    - Septicemia (A40-A41).............................................. ......35,539
    - Chronic liver disease and cirrhosis (K70,K73-K74)................33,539
    - Essential hypertension and hypertensive renal disease.........27,477
    - Parkinson's disease (G20-G21)6.......................................23,107
    - Pneumonitis due to solids and liquids (J69)........................18,090

- All other causes (Residual)........................................ .....512,723
    - All injury related deaths............................................ ....177,154

Years for deaths shown below..........................................2011...................2010

Transport deaths (Vehicular)
    • Number of transport deaths:.......................................37,2 75..................37,961
    • Motor Vehicle deaths............................................ .....34,667..................35,332
    • Other land transport deaths:.......................................2,59 9...................2,629

• Total number of drivers:................3,846,386

Falls
    Falls deaths:........................................... ..................26,631.................26,009

Drugs, Alcohol, and Poisoning
    • Accidental poisoning:........................................ .........33,554.................33041
    • Drug induced deaths:........................................... ......40,239.................40,393
    • Alcohol induced deaths:........................................... ..26,256..................25,692

All firearm deaths
    • Firearm deaths by suicide:.......................................... 19,766..................19,392
    • Firearm deaths by accident:........................................8 51......................606
    • Firearm deaths caused by LEO (non-accidental):.............258...................... 412

• Firearm deaths by homicide (total):...............................11,101..... .............11,078
    • Firearm homicides (gang related and included in total):......8,880 (80%)...........8,862 (80%)
    • Firearm homicides (non gang and included in total):...........2,220 (20%)...........2,215 (20%)
    • Firearm deaths of self defense*
    and undetermined intent:........................................... ..4,224....................4,656

• Total number of legal US firearm owners (Est): 52,000,000 households

*I cannot find the total number of self-defense related firearm deaths. Nor was such a statistic included in the CDC's findings. I had to assume it was part of the "undetermined intent", but this could be wrong.

*Gang and non-gang related homicide totals are a percentage taken from the total firearm homicide numbers. 80/20 is an estimated split.

This information is still preliminary gatherings and under further review. Again, any help with this data would be appreciated. As you can see, the harm that firearms are causing this country is disproportionally shown in the media and politics. Even estimating the accuracy of some of my findings, it is clear that firearms are not a leading problem in this country. It can be assessed that poor health, mental instability (including suicide), incidental/accidental death from various means (including automobile, poison, falling, but EXCLUDING firearms) are the leading causes of mortality. Homicide is very low on the list. When looking at gun "violence" - nearly all of it is gang related. Accidental firearm related deaths are extremely low.

Clearly, there is something wrong with this countries anti-gun stance which is based on incredibly isolated events (like the recent school/theater shootings). This post will be edited further as I find more facts and information. I apologize for not knowing HTML to make this more legible. Hopefully I can edit that later, too.

Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    • Total number of drivers:................3,846,386
    Not sure where you got your number of drivers, but your figure is off by millions. According to the Department of Transportation,

"There were 190,625,023 licensed drivers in the United States in 2000. That is an increase of 23.73% since 1980 and an a 12.39% increase over 1990. As the average age of licensed drivers shifts upward, we see that the 35-39 and 40-44 year old age groups contain the largest share of drivers."

Source: Licensed Drivers - Our Nation's Highways - 2000

This is a worthwhile effort, but you need to be very careful that you get it right.

Thanks, Raven. That number seemed low, I think I took it from a crash statistic, originally. I have disclaimed this information as preliminary, and really do appreciate any criticisms, feedback, corrections, or additional data.

The correct info about US driver statistics is here:
    U.S. Highway Statistics - Google Public Data Explorer

Source: February 2012 Traffic Volume Trends – Travel Monitoring and Traffic Volume – Office of Highway Policy Information (OHPI) – FHWA

Apparently there is roughly 210 million licensed drivers.

"One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Also, (to the mods) is there a way that I can edit the original post? I didn't realize they would be put on lockdown after a short period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    *I cannot find the total number of self-defense related firearm deaths. Nor was such a statistic included in the CDC's findings. I had to assume it was part of the "undetermined intent", but this could be wrong.
    Justifiable Homicide by Private Citizens
    FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 15

Justifiable homicide by Law Enforcement
    FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 14
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    The anti gun groups never make mention of the justifiable homicides but without fail include those numbers with their total deaths by guns.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Justifiable Homicide by Private Citizens
    FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 15

Justifiable homicide by Law Enforcement
    FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 14
    Awesome, thanks. Now I need to check over the FBI statistics and compare them with that of the CDC's.

There was a thread I think on here recently, about each of the mass killings in the past several decades, what weapons they involved and also what drugs the criminal was on/off of. I for the life of me cannot find it, but it seemed to have some great statistics about how many of the criminals committing these acts were on some form of anti-depressant.

Perhaps But, good statistics that should be included in here. I'll try to find it.

Lotus, after one of the recent mass shootings and with the debates going on, I had found numbers where gang/drug related gun homicides were concerned and that percentage was about 78%.

I am now looking for those numbers again and book marks and notes be darned, I can't find them. I had thought it originated from the CDC (which is how I came across your post here) but I could be wrong.

The sources I have used in the past are CDC, FBI, FBoJ, Cato & UNODC for international numbers.

The following is from "The epidemic of gang-related homicides in Los Angeles County from 1979 through 1994"

A total of 7288 gang-related homicides occurred in Los Angeles County from 1979 through 1994; 5541 of these homicides occurred in Los Angeles Police Department and Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department jurisdictions. During the study period, the proportion of all homicides that were gang related increased from 18.1% to 43.0% (P < .001). Of the 5541 gang-related homicide victims, 4580 (85.6%) were aged 15 to 34 years, 93.3% were African American or Hispanic, 5157 (93.2%) were male, 3559 (64.2%) were gang members, and 1408 (25.4%) occurred during drive-by shootings. Firearms were used in an increasing proportion of homicides, from 71.4% in 1979 to 94.5% in 1994. Homicides by semiautomatic handguns dramatically increased during the study period. Gang-related homicide rates for African-American males aged 15 to 19 years increased from 60.50 per 100,000 population per year in 1979 to 1981 to 192.41 per 100,000 population per year in 1989 to 1991.

That is an average of 485.87/year from ONE county in the US and clearly states its 43% in 1994.

If you look at ALL countries where the gun homicide per 100,000 people, they are all drug cartel countries. Between gangs and/or drugs, its not a hard leap to make it to 70-80% of gun homicide crimes.

Also have a look at this report - page vi - section 10
    http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/ag...sc/why/rpt.pdf

Distinguished Member Array Glock2201's Avatar
    One stat that sticks out for me is the one that is never brought up by antis like Piers Morgan. Out of the almost 12,000 gun related homicides every year nearly 80% of them are gang related. Most of those guns are probably obtained illegally so more restrictive gun control would not stop them.

PsyHawk,
    That is an interesting read that you linked. It makes sense. Looks like you can summarize it by saying variables that increase gang activity increase crime and homicide rates. Almost all statistics seem to point to that conclusions from almost all of the data that I have gathered, too. We definitely have some hot spots for gun violence in this country. Ironically, most of it happens in the locations that are the most restrictive of guns for legal carriers.

I'll have to apologize for my lack of compiling all of the information, here. It is a ton of data, and I never really had the time to break it down the way I wanted to. Fortunately, all of the links above still work. You can pull some CDC info from the links in my original post. There is access to the FBI statistics in pittypat's post. From those links, you can do some digging and find almost anything - even based on location. You should probably start there for more info.

Personally, I don't give too much thought to the international data. Other countries laws are vastly different than ours in the US, and I don't trust the accuracy of the information, either (for the most part). Now congress and the Obama admin are looking to shell out $10 million for the CDC to study gun violence, again, because the results weren't in favor of gun control when Obama issued an executive order for the CDC to study gun violence back in June of 2013. In fact, the results were the opposite of what the anti-gun administration was hoping for. An article can be read about the results, here: CDC Gun Research Backfires on Obama - Guns & Ammo. I'm sure as you have noticed in your research, it doesn't take a genius or $10 million to see where the crime is coming from in this country - or why it is increasing/decreasing. Unfortunately, the answers to these problems will hide behind political correctness, lies, twisting of facts, and the overall anti-gun political agenda.

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    As a FWIW, deaths are a poor way to analyze this stuff. Overall attempts or the total injury rate is better because that eliminates things like effective medical care and such. Just to show the difference it can make, when you look at deaths LE becomes a fairly safe profession. When you look at life-threatening assaults, however, it jumps back toward the top. Cars are another. We still have a high accident rate, we have just gotten better at living through the accidents.

While I don't disagree that analyzing life-threatening assaults with firearms is a good thing to do, I wouldn't flat out rule deaths as an unworthy means to judge the information. Especially when relating it to all the other means of death. Not all falls cause death. Not all sicknesses cause death. Not all overdoses cause death. You get my point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links